• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

APA Archery "Black Mamba 33"

RMcDonald7

SH Member
Well, I went to a outdoor's show back in March in Morgantown, WV and ran across APA Archery. The bows felt amazing in my hand, and I instantly "had to have one" so I talked to the Rep for well over an hour. Intrigued by the design and all the functions of the bow, I left and constantly thought about it. Watched all the videos and reviews about APA Archery.

Rep said APA archery products are made in USA but assembled and sold in Canada. Not sure about this. lol

My conversation with the gentleman included "You buy a bow off me and I'll take you to a place in WV where you'll see monsters" lol and it just so happens to be the same area i've always wanted to hunt! :wink:

Mamba retails for $1200 ish which is wayyyy more than i've ever spent on any bow EVER!

I bit the bullet and ordered one last week. Custom "matt black" color. Should come in, in a few weeks and i'll have a proper review of this bow. APA.png

Sweet! Can’t wait to hear what you think of it! What’s the ibo rating on that model?

Sweet! Can’t wait to hear what you think of it! What’s the ibo rating on that model?
345 I think

I've watched reviews with guys shooting 500g arrows at 290 speeds. youtube APA Archery.

I think I watched a video on backyardbows YT channel on these bows. If I remember the guy said these bows were pretty unique and pretty solid as well! Congrats on your purchase and looking forward to your experience with this bow.

Welcome to the world of APA! I have a black mamba MT33 and I absolutely love it. I probably won’t switch manufacturers ever. Congratulations, you won’t regret it.

Welcome to the world of APA! I have a black mamba MT33 and I absolutely love it. I probably won’t switch manufacturers ever. Congratulations, you won’t regret it.
Fill us in. What do you like about it? Anything you don't like? I almost bought this bow but went with a Mathews instead.

bro, i'm so freakin excited.

Fill us in. What do you like about it? Anything you don't like? I almost bought this bow but went with a Mathews instead.
This topic came up recently here but I will save you the trouble of looking for it.
Fits my hand nicely, nice draw cycle, fast, light, the rubberized texture is slightly warmer in the cold and is extremely durable. The micro tune allows for easy adjustment of cam timing for tail high/low tears. no need to ever take it to a bow shop “with the cam lock tool”. (You can change string and cables at home and you can yolk tune at the range without a press). And lastly the FANG. I always struggle to get my bow off of bow hangers and hooks.
Now I have a paracord loop hanging from my gear strap. I hang it from the fang and when the time comes, just lift the bow straight up and the loop falls out. Mine doesn’t have it but the newer models even have a tool to set the center shot. Almost forgot, I do like the carry handle as well.
cons:
None! You can say the price but most flagship bows are as much or more.

I think the APA is an interesting bow but not fond of their traditional 2-cam system. I would much prefer a binary cam system. Timing gets finicky with let-off above 65% with the traditional 2-cam system. But with a binary cam system, the cams are slaved to each other This makes tuning easier and more forgiving. I am surprised that APA hasn't switched over to a binary cam system. Most bow manufacturers already have.

I think the APA is an interesting bow but not fond of their traditional 2-cam system. I would much prefer a binary cam system. Timing gets finicky with let-off above 65% with the traditional 2-cam system. But with a binary cam system, the cams are slaved to each other This makes tuning easier and more forgiving. I am surprised that APA hasn't switched over to a binary cam system. Most bow manufacturers already have.
This is true, but, with the micro tune feature on the roller guard it is so easy to adjust the timing with the turn of a screw. When a half a twist is too much, you can just turn that screw a tiny bit. How it works is that the roller on the lower cam’s cables is on a pivot. Tightening it makes for a longer travel distance which in turn makes the lower cam move faster. Loosening it has the opposite effect. When you put new cables and strings on the bow, you set it up with the micro tune in the middle. Get it close and then just adjust as needed.

Finally picked up my APA yesterday.

I did a video last night and will be posting to youtube soon.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

i'll update with pics tonight

Whats a good setup for stabilizer's?

Depending on what direction you want to go, I like the Conquest CF500 stabilizers. These are 1/2" diameter carbon stabilizers which I shoot and like. They sell them separately or in a bowhunting kit. The bowhunting kit uses a front mount offset bracket. If your bow has a rear stabilizer hole, you may want to buy individual stabilizers and also buy a rear mount offset bracket.

Stabilizers - Hunting Stabilizers - Conquest Archery LLC

So, what’s the verdict? Are you loving yours as much as I love mine?

I'm sorry, I forgot to upload some pictures.

I took a video on the first arrows I shot, I just haven't had the time to upload that either. lol

Verdict: This bow is BAD!!! BAD A** that is!
I installed my Viper single pin sight last night and started dialing her in. Its a shooter for sure! The back wall is dead stop, ZERO vibration, very easy to control, and comfortable in the hand. I sighted in at 10yds single pin, stepped back to 20. then 30. All the same results, maybe 1" low at 30. This bow shoots with crazy speed and FLAT! While shooting at 30, I just felt like I needed to aim higher, holding the bow so flat just felt like the arrow was going in the dirt.... Low end of bullseye. UNREAL.

At this time I don't have any stabilizers on it so at 30 and beyond I feel like stabilizer are going to come into play. (Suggestions?)

Back