• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

API stick mod: holes or no holes?

KYHunter

I’ve recently taken the hardware off my API sticks and put em on 24” sections of 6061 1/16th aluminum square tube to make some double steps. The weight of all 3 sticks is right under 6 lbs together.
I’m wondering how much weight drilling extra holes would save me? It seems like a lot of holes may also compromise the strength of the stick? Looking for insight from those of y’all who have made this modification.

I thought you didn’t drill holes if you go down to 1/16 aluminum. I didn’t do holes on mine even with the stock 1/8 tube, I’m not sure how much weight is saved with the holes, I’d like to know exactly, and know if anyone knows of a new suggested weight lint once done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drilled my last set out got exact 24 inch stick to right at 2.5 pds with Versa Strap

I'm not your target audience but in thinking out loud it stands to reason that you will cut half as much weight as drilling the same holes in 1/8" tubes. I haven't done that either, but maybe folks who have can offer that weight savings and you could divide that by 2 to get an approximation.

My bet is it won't be enough to justify the effort or the potential loss in structural integrity. But maybe.

I was building the same DIY as you in December (API with 1/16) and realized (with help) that my real weight problem is the API steps and standoffs. They are just too thick and heavy. IMHO you need to go with @DanO double steps and LW standoffs to get the weight low enough to not just buy Beast Sticks. Even then the cost to build is high enough to probably justify the Beast purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

where did you get 6061 1/16 inch online metals ? it says its .29 lbs per foot I wouldn't drill out .065 wall and would definitely suggest using spacers behind all fixtures(where the bolt goes through the tube)....steps, standoffs, versa button etc.....but I guess if you try them at ground level first to see if they will bend? I think the beast sticks are at least 1/8 inch wall maybe even thicker I would be curious if anyone has them...yeah looking at the pictures of the beast sticks definitely thicker than 1/8

Last edited:
Yea I’m thinking I will probably stay away from drilling the holes after thinking about it more. I’m 5’9” 175lbs and I’ve seen a few other guys in here that have gone 1/16th with those same stats. I’ve jumped and bounced and put side pressure on each stick and so far so good. I plan on extensively testing these for the next few months at ground level and then taking them apart to see the damage

@TNSTAAFL I’ll probably upgrade to those here in the future. It looks like he has some great products

I used 6061 1/8 inch that weighs only .5 lbs per foot. Like you I'm 5'9" 170 lbs as well. I didn't like the steps at 22 inches like the beast sticks I'm just too short legged and have one bad knee to boot, so I went with 19.5 inch spacing best part of DIY sticks they fit me....I didn't drill out the tube as it is light enough at 1 lb 8 oz per stick with my attachment method. I did put plastic bolt spacers in the tube where the bolt goes through for the versa buttons and doublesteps from @DanO also purchased 1 inch furniture caps for the ends to keep water out...spent as much as a beast stick is the down side could do better buying stuff in bulk though already posted a picture in "Looking For Help With My Climbing Setup" thread.

I've just finished my DIY sticks (other than stealth strips). 24", 1/8" 6061 one inch tubing. DanO double steps and (I think) @Squirrel standoffs. 1/2" holes, done by hand (that I'll never do again!!) because my drill press is weak. About 2lbs I guess, don't have a gram scale. Got a set of 24" lone Wolfs (Doublesteps) and 24" heliums... They all weigh about the same, I'm not counting ounces. Amsteel or versa straps. It's the saddle and predator that will save me the weight. Fully loaded it's about 20lbs, light enuff for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_162340496.jpg
    IMG_20190129_162340496.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
I've just finished my DIY sticks (other than stealth strips). 24", 1/8" 6061 one inch tubing. DanO double steps and (I think) @Squirrel standoffs. 1/2" holes, done by hand (that I'll never do again!!) because my drill press is weak. About 2lbs I guess, don't have a gram scale. Got a set of 24" lone Wolfs (Doublesteps) and 24" heliums... They all weigh about the same, I'm not counting ounces. Amsteel or versa straps. It's the saddle and predator that will save me the weight. Fully loaded it's about 20lbs, light enuff for me.
Those look good. What bit did you use?

Those look good. What bit did you use?
I started with a step down, but my dinky drill press kept bogging down. So I drilled 1/4" pilot holes, then stuck them in a vice and used my hammer drill with a1/2" bit. The top step was done by @onestringer before he sold them to me (and got Beast sticks) that's why it looks so professional. A lot of work, but got it done.

I used 6061 1/8 inch that weighs only .5 lbs per foot. Like you I'm 5'9" 170 lbs as well. I didn't like the steps at 22 inches like the beast sticks I'm just too short legged and have one bad knee to boot, so I went with 19.5 inch spacing best part of DIY sticks they fit me....I didn't drill out the tube as it is light enough at 1 lb 8 oz per stick with my attachment method. I did put plastic bolt spacers in the tube where the bolt goes through for the versa buttons and doublesteps from @DanO also purchased 1 inch furniture caps for the ends to keep water out...spent as much as a beast stick is the down side could do better buying stuff in bulk though already posted a picture in "Looking For Help With My Climbing Setup" thread.

Where did you get the plastic spacers?

@Bourdeau yea I think I’m happy with the weight of mine as well. It’s a huge difference in weight as is!

I'm not your target audience but in thinking out loud it stands to reason that you will cut half as much weight as drilling the same holes in 1/8" tubes. I haven't done that either, but maybe folks who have can offer that weight savings and you could divide that by 2 to get an approximation.

My bet is it won't be enough to justify the effort or the potential loss in structural integrity. But maybe.

I was building the same DIY as you in December (API with 1/16) and realized (with help) that my real weight problem is the API steps and standoffs. They are just too thick and heavy. IMHO you need to go with @DanO double steps and LW standoffs to get the weight low enough to not just buy Beast Sticks. Even then the cost to build is high enough to probably justify the Beast purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You're right that the API/Muddy hardware is stupid heavy. But...

I bought mine for like $80 for three. Cost me nothing to cut them down. Cost me $20 for the daisychain webbing @DanO carries. I'll have to see if I can rustle up bits, or if I'll have to buy them, but drilling, cutting, and changing straps will put me around 6-7lbs for about $100.

If you're willing and able to do the work, they make a heckuva poor man's beast stick.

You're right that the API/Muddy hardware is stupid heavy. But...

I bought mine for like $80 for three. Cost me nothing to cut them down. Cost me $20 for the daisychain webbing @DanO carries. I'll have to see if I can rustle up bits, or if I'll have to buy them, but drilling, cutting, and changing straps will put me around 6-7lbs for about $100.

If you're willing and able to do the work, they make a heckuva poor man's beast stick.

This what I saw them as. I have the tools and the time so if I can get close for 1/3 the price I”m gonna. And if u do save the money it can be invested into upgrades like the Versa Strap.

“Poor mans beast stick” well said !!!

Back