• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Archers Helping Archers

trailblazer75

Over the last several years, I've done a deep dive into all things archery. I've been less of a new saddle gear guy because what I do works for me and more of an archer. It started when I killed a nice 9 pointer with a 60 lb bow I got for like $100 on the classified section here from @Anobody and I just kinda said "hey, I need to freaking know how to fix stuff". I was shooting that bow because I ran over my main bow, which happened to be about 10 years old at the time itself.

Too long have I spent standing in an archery shop watching a bow tech monkey around on my equipment without truly understanding what was going on myself. So I learned. I found a good mentor and when I bought a brand new bow this year, I didn't let that shop touch it. Start to finish, I did it all. But it was in my buddy's shop, in his garage. Kinda powerless when you have the skillset and not the tools of the trade.

Which brings me to today. I've purchased and I'm setting up everything in my own garage. Press, vice, levels, the works. Its all on the way. And I've gotta say I've gotten pretty darn good at tuning a bow. So, I say all this to say that if you're in the south west Missouri area and you're sick of bow shops doing things in half measures, get ahold of me. When my shop is up and running, you can come over, have a beer and we'll set that bad boy up or re-tune it, free of charge. We spend way too much on bows for them not to shoot perfect. And we rely on them to allow us to make ethical shots on game. If your broadheads don't hit with your field points, you are not taking ethical shots on game.

So PM me here and if you're close, lets fix it.

@trailblazer75
I think it's awesome that you're willing to help others and are learning all the tricks of the trade for bow tuning, maintenance, etc. :cool:

The only thing that I would caution you about is human nature. :rolleyes:
My Dad wanted for us to start our own bow shop. Selling, repairing, fletching arrows, etc. He had high aspirations and as much as I enjoy helping others, I said NO! Absolutely NOT! o_O He asked "why" and I said... About 3 weeks or less, before bow season is to start, people will be coming out of the woodwork in droves, wanting this fixed or that replaced, could you fletch me a dozen arrows, etc. Pass!!! Those items weren't busted last week, they were busted last year and they're just now getting around to looking into it. :mad: It's human nature and I'll have no part of it, when I could be out hunting too.

Someone has to do it, but it doesn't have to be me. :) Just a "heads up", to let you know where this is headed.

1) look up specs on the bow and write them down.
2) measure brace height, axel to axel and draw weight. Add or remove twists in cables until the bow is perfectly in spec. Check timing (if you have a d-loop already).
3) find nock point using arrow through Berger hole and essentially using it as a plum to ensure it’s perfect.
4) mark for and tie in nock points with top slightly above the nock to account for nock pinch.
5) tie on D-loop. Check timing again.
6) put on rest, use electric caliper to find center shot by measuring from center of arrow to riser in front and back of riser and ensure they’re equal. Like perfectly equal. Make sure with the rest in the highest position you are still dead center through Berger hole. I don’t use anything but limb driven rests but if I were setting something else up here’s where I’d set rest timing.
7) put in peep, find proper height and tie is in. Solve any peep twist.
8) bolt on all accessories.
9) shoot through paper.
All told I did this in two hours yesterday from starting the process to being sighted in at 20.

Last edited:
Original stuff I had:
Space (Aleard owned)
Bench ($40)
EZ Green press ($425)
Draw Board ($149)
Scale ($70)
Ruler (Aleard owned)
Allens/Stubby Allens (Already owned)
Pliers (Already owned)
Bow vice ($165)
Serving material ($7.76)
D-Loop material ($10.99)
Yard stick (Already owned)
Tape measure (Already owned)
3rd axis hamskea level ($70)
String/arrow levels (Already owned)
Grain scale (Aleard owned)

Things I've added:
Denatured alcohol burner (I like this for hot melt) ($9)
Washer/nut magnetic bins ($13.99)
24"x24" peg board with various hangers ($37.99)
Serving and jig ($13.99)
Digital calipers ($18)
Dental picks ($6.99)
Large bright overhead light ($29.99)
I homebuilt a PVC paper tuning stand ($40 with clips)
Weston arrow saw ($159)

At this point I'm just waiting for a lot of the stuff to come in.
All told I'm in to this project for $1276.70

I already had all the glue and fletching jigs and stuff.
I've got the target mounted up and stuff coming in! So its just a matter of putting things together in an organized manner and we're in business!

@trailblazer75
I think it's awesome that you're willing to help others and are learning all the tricks of the trade for bow tuning, maintenance, etc. :cool:

The only thing that I would caution you about is human nature. :rolleyes:
My Dad wanted for us to start our own bow shop. Selling, repairing, fletching arrows, etc. He had high aspirations and as much as I enjoy helping others, I said NO! Absolutely NOT! o_O He asked "why" and I said... About 3 weeks or less, before bow season is to start, people will be coming out of the woodwork in droves, wanting this fixed or that replaced, could you fletch me a dozen arrows, etc. Pass!!! Those items weren't busted last week, they were busted last year and they're just now getting around to looking into it. :mad: It's human nature and I'll have no part of it, when I could be out hunting too.

Someone has to do it, but it doesn't have to be me. :) Just a "heads up", to let you know where this is headed.

I spent 8 years working in a very busy archery shop and there is so much truth in this.

Keep in mind that it's often not a nuts and bolts fix to improve arrow flight. The shooter is easily your biggest variable. People want to buy the fix but working the kinks out of form is a common issue and not always easy to resolve.

Also if a limb or something else lets go while you have a bow pressed you're on the hook for replacement parts (that a manufacturer won't sell you) and the time that the guy is without his gear, although it may be no fault of your own.

Sounds like you have great intentions just some things to keep in mind to protect yourself.

Signed -a former grumpy archery shop tech

I spent 8 years working in a very busy archery shop and there is so much truth in this.

Keep in mind that it's often not a nuts and bolts fix to improve arrow flight. The shooter is easily your biggest variable. People want to buy the fix but working the kinks out of form is a common issue and not always easy to resolve.

Also if a limb or something else lets go while you have a bow pressed you're on the hook for replacement parts (that a manufacturer won't sell you) and the time that the guy is without his gear, although it may be no fault of your own.

Sounds like you have great intentions just some things to keep in mind to protect yourself.

Signed -a former grumpy archery shop tech
You’ve got excellent points. Maybe a liability waiver is in order

Back