• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arrow wraps

I like the solid color ones. I dislike the busy ones that look like a 10 years old favorite hot wheel sticker for arrows.

A white matte reflective one (if there’s such a thing) would serve two useful functions (arrow recovery and blood/hit identification). In spending a lot of time thinking about the equation, the advantages of as little weight on the back of the arrow, far outweigh any benefit of the stuff that adds weight (lighted nocks and wraps).

I know the utility of making arrows easier to refletch is certainly a pro. But I spend 1-2 hours every year fletching arrows. Whether it’s 2 or 12, and whether or not I’m stripping and cleaning arrows prior. Not worth it for me.

Fifty fifty to me. I run black Sirius Apollo arrows with a all white wrap. I have others without the wrap and I’ve noticed that when “my friend” misses a target it’s much easier “for me” to find the ones with the wraps than the black arrows without the wrap.

I’ve always felt they are just for a visual indicator to help you locate arrow. Similar to a tracer round in a rifle.

There is a custom wrap online site I saw once that does sell reflective white so if you hit it with a light it’s like a reflective belt. Let me see if I can find it.

https://onestringer.com/ maybe?

Fifty fifty to me. I run black Sirius Apollo arrows with a all white wrap. I have others without the wrap and I’ve noticed that when “my friend” misses a target it’s much easier “for me” to find the ones with the wraps than the black arrows without the wrap.

I’ve always felt they are just for a visual indicator to help you locate arrow. Similar to a tracer round in a rifle.

There is a custom wrap online site I saw once that does sell reflective white so if you hit it with a light it’s like a reflective belt. Let me see if I can find it.

A white matte reflective one (if there’s such a thing) would serve two useful functions (arrow recovery and blood/hit identification). In spending a lot of time thinking about the equation, the advantages of as little weight on the back of the arrow, far outweigh any benefit of the stuff that adds weight (lighted nocks and wraps).

I know the utility of making arrows easier to refletch is certainly a pro. But I spend 1-2 hours every year fletching arrows. Whether it’s 2 or 12, and whether or not I’m stripping and cleaning arrows prior. Not worth it for me.
There are white matte refelective wraps, I have them on my carnivores and they’re the cats ass. Make blood id much easier and arrow location a breeze and they’re both white and reflective. Seems like I do most of my hunting in evening and these make things so much easier.

I use white wraps and all white fletchings. Like stated above I thought it might aid in blood identification.

I have used them as visual aid but not to fletch the vanes/feathers on. I have used the shrink wrap quikfletch jobs before also.... The easier to fletch point, IMO doesn't make any sense but I started this thread to read opposite view point.....if I damage a single vane on a wrap I now have to redo all fletching and new wrap vs just fix the single vane if straight to the carbon....correct? Doesn't the wrap usually tear?
I use a 3/8 strip of reflective vinyl on the rear of the arrow with 1/8 of the vinyl on my lighted nock to hopefully help keep it from flying off. I used to use a large 1 ahead of the fletching as visual aid for helping find the arrow and blood but I didn't on the currents set I'm using, just the small strip at the rear. Ashby's visual demonstration with the paper clips opened my eyes to the effect of tail weight...however, like most of u all said, the pros of having that visual aid to help find the arrow and see some blood out way the cons and I keep that smaller strip by the nock. I hunted for the first time last year with feathers and I killed a deer but never found my arrow so I couldn't compare if vanes or feathers show blood better.
The big box outdoors store by me always has these ezc or cez (don't remember the name) for sale out on the end caps for 2-3 dollars and I'll get a handful...real bright and precut and some are numbered which I like

Screenshot_20210702-124017_(1).png

I just built up a dozen arrows with the white reflective Bohning wraps. They fletched up great with the wraps and the extra visual will be great.

I've got theses instead of lighted nocks. Cheaper and they don't add much weight to the back of the arrow.

I use a white reflective wrap. But you have me thinking about just a tracer piece of wrap

I run 4" white wraps with 2" white blazers to help id blood and recovery of arrow. My aging eyes also seem to track the arrow in flight better than other color combinations.

As far as adding weight to the back of the arrow, yes it adds a touch but unless you're that anal about every last %foc it really is irrelevant for anyone already shooting heavy arrows like yourself. In my case, with a 29"dl and 585grain taw my calculated %foc is over 18%.

Here is feathers after passing through a deer. Now, I am not 100% were this passed through. But based on the white hair on the ground I think I hit him low but never recovered him. Those are big white reflective wraps with 5" white feathers. This year I went 3" short feathers, and cut the reflective material to just give me enough to put them on. Tried to lighten up the back as much as I could, but still have the reflective wrap. Still kept 19ish FOC. Seem to be flying good still. Screenshot_20210702-135954~2.png

Here is feathers after passing through a deer. Now, I am not 100% were this passed through. But based on the white hair on the ground I think I hit him low but never recovered him. Those are big white reflective wraps with 5" white feathers. This year I went 3" short feathers, and cut the reflective material to just give me enough to put them on. Tried to lighten up the back as much as I could, but still have the reflective wrap. Still kept 19ish FOC. Seem to be flying good still. View attachment 48878
Do u think vanes or feathers shows evidence better? I didn't find my feathered arrow to be able to compare vs vanes...

Cool to look at. Wholly unnecessary. Buy more good fletching instead. But whatever makes you feel good. I always wanted an arrow crestor and dip tubes to paint my own but never made the investment. There is something to be said about personalizing your arrows. I know people who dip or pain their entire arrow white or lighter colors to aid in seeing where the arrow impacted on the game animal. I do like the tracer idea and I've never used lighted nocks either but I do see their utility. If I ever start filming my hunts it may be something to consider.

I used the white reflective for years and I do believe there is value to them. Finding the arrow after the shot can be huge towards making the right decisions on blood trailing and a reflective wrap glows like a laser when a flashlight beam hits it.
Was it a clean miss? Was it a gut shot?
Finding the arrow is important and reflective wraps are helpful toward that.

But refletching a shaft with a wrap is a pain. I've been told (by 3 Rivers??) that wraps come off easily if you dip them in boiling water...I have not tried it so I don't know.

Another thought...will refletching/repair be easier if fletching tape is used rather than glue? I suspect that taped fletch could be removed without damaging the wrap. Glued fletch is about impossible to remove without destroying the wrap.

With all that being said, as of last year I went full Ashby, so I wanted to remove as much weight from the nock-end as possible so I don't have wraps on my new arrows. I kinda miss them I think.

Do u think vanes or feathers shows evidence better? I didn't find my feathered arrow to be able to compare vs vanes...
The only difference I can think of, is maybe the ability to see air bubbles on the vanes in the blood? Seems they wouldn't show up in the feathers. It is almost like the feathers absorb the blood..

Back