• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ASAT or Predator?

Prill87

It's my 2nd season turkey hunting and I set out today to purchase some turkey camo. I wanted something with a little more green in it that was a little lighter (warmth wise) since turkey season runs during May in PA.
Eders had a set (top and bottom) of Predator Adrenaline in Spring green for a steal of a deal. I almost pulled the trigger, but found the 3D ASAT suit for about the same price and decided on that with the rationale of using it during deer season also.

Anyone have experience with Predator Camo or the ASAT 3D suit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any experience with either specifically. However, I use a similar system to the ASAT leafy suit, called Sneaky Leaf, and it works INCREDIBLY well. I've been using Sneaky Leaf since about 2003. I've had deer, turkey, and people walk right up on me and even had squirrels try to climb me. I pin the leaves to whatever cheap old camo I have that fits the temperatures i'll be in. I'm sure the ASAT leafy suit would work as well. Sneaky Leaf is legit.

I've heard that you can get a similar product from a craft supply store like Michaels, JoAnn, etc for a little less money. I can't verify.

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-camo-3d-leaf.htm

This is a pretty good overview of the system. I use a few more leaves than he does in the video, but notice how he placed them around his shoulders and arms to break up his silhouette. It really works. You can get Sneaky Leaf on Amazon I believe.

[youtube]aYtsMjIJHgs[/youtube]

Sneaky leaf is definitely intriguing! I'll have to consider it if I don't like the ASAT 3D suit.

I got the ASAT from Bowhunting Super Store who's got it for $89.99 and free shipping until 3/30. I'm going to test it as a coverall during turkey season, and try to use it during deer season. My only concern is that I'll have to size up for deer season with layers.
I've been looking for a more open pattern with 3D material so I'll keep Sneaky Leaf in mind maybe to be used with some other open camo like predator if the suit doesn't work out how I expect it to.

I have the 3d Asat suit. No pockets on the pants and no belt loops either. Its an elastic band, at least mine is. Im constantly pulling them up while walking. The jacket has 2 pockets, but they are just netting sewn on the inside and not fully enclosed, meaning you put your hand in the pocket and then up and over and be able to touch your shirt. This isnt ideal for carrying much other than maybe the head net or gloves as it would be easy to lose things. The suit is extremely light weight. Its like a thin mesh with 3d sewn to it. I like it, just wish it had a few things changed that I just mentioned. Ive never worn it for turkeys, simply because its my understanding turkeys can see color. Maybe its a non issue, I dont know. Heck you can put a pop up in an open field and turkeys will walk right up to it, so its movement that bothers them more than anything. I was wearing more common camo one morning and called a bird. He came running from left to right. He was coming to the call and would cross my firing line about 10yds away. I sat motionless and he stopped about 30yds away and raised his head and looked right at me, then started running again on same path. He stopped again about 20yds and did same thing, i didnt move. The third time he did that at 10yds I popped him. Was he looking at me or just looking for the hen I cant say for sure, but felt like he had me pinned down. Maybe Ill try the asat just to see how it goes. I have the elite jacket and pants for bow hunting and really like them.

kenn1320 said:
I have the 3d Asat suit. No pockets on the pants and no belt loops either. Its an elastic band, at least mine is. Im constantly pulling them up while walking. The jacket has 2 pockets, but they are just netting sewn on the inside and not fully enclosed, meaning you put your hand in the pocket and then up and over and be able to touch your shirt. This isnt ideal for carrying much other than maybe the head net or gloves as it would be easy to lose things. The suit is extremely light weight. Its like a thin mesh with 3d sewn to it. I like it, just wish it had a few things changed that I just mentioned. Ive never worn it for turkeys, simply because its my understanding turkeys can see color. Maybe its a non issue, I dont know. Heck you can put a pop up in an open field and turkeys will walk right up to it, so its movement that bothers them more than anything. I was wearing more common camo one morning and called a bird. He came running from left to right. He was coming to the call and would cross my firing line about 10yds away. I sat motionless and he stopped about 30yds away and raised his head and looked right at me, then started running again on same path. He stopped again about 20yds and did same thing, i didnt move. The third time he did that at 10yds I popped him. Was he looking at me or just looking for the hen I cant say for sure, but felt like he had me pinned down. Maybe Ill try the asat just to see how it goes. I have the elite jacket and pants for bow hunting and really like them.

I'm gonna give it a try for turkey. Read about some other guys using it for that. Theoretically, turkey should have no harder of a time picking it out than green camouflage because it's just camouflage that uses the other colors in the environment. We'll see.

A little disappointed to hear about the trousers dropping. A belt would certainly streamline and maybe I'll be in the market for suspenders immediately lol

I have the 3d asat suit i use mostly for turkey season. Seems to work great. I haven't used it much during deer season. But love it for turkeys

Cabela's woodland leafy suit ain't bad either if you can find it on sale. Got my Leafy top for like $43.

both are excellent. I use asat merino wool by first lite. I will never use anything else. Its the best, but I have nothing to compare it to, to be honest.

I have the ASAT 3D camo suit too. It's a very good product. You can wear it over a tee shirt and shorts in warm weather. Works great in standing corn in the fall too. Mine came with a head covering and hand covering too. I highly recommend it. Get it big enough to go over heavier clothes so you can wear it in the fall too.

I ended up buying the ASAT 3D suit. I wasn't sure about it but after I had a turkey hen walk by me at about 5 yards without spooking I'm convinced.

I love the ASAT 3D. You can get ASAT work gloves really cheap. Handy for climbing. Firstlite merino ASAT gloves are NOT durable. Tree bark and moisture eats them up badly. I like wearing a DayOne bucket hat and a Firstlite Balaclava or tubular bandana when it gets a little colder.

In early season I like to wear ASAT or Predator pants instead of the leafy pants. It's just more convenient. When it gets cold and I have to layer up is when I will wear the leafy pants.

As mentioned above....being able to wear Tee Shirt and shorts in hot weather under the 3D suit and then layer up wool in cold weather is pretty great. No need to buy multiple sets of camo

Ware whatever you want turkey hunting, if you move it won't matter you are busted.

Both great camo. I use Predator spring green camo for Turkey and early deer season. It blends in very well.

Back