• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ascenders. 1 or 2?!

LJH431

First year saddle hunting. I have recently received my CRÜZR XC and have been playing in the backyard to try and get everything dialed in. Here’s my question for the more experienced folks in here than myself. Would you recommend 2 ascenders or just one? Do I need one on both lineman’s and tether or just one or the other? I am using Resc Tech 8mm ropes for both LM and tether so Kong Duck will be the ascender I’m using. Just curious if I should order one or two? Let me know your thought! Thanks a lot everyone!

I like an ascender on my lineman’s and tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s where I’m leaning but as mentioned I just wanted some input from some more experienced folks than myself. I feel as if the adjustments I make on my tether will be way less than lineman’s so wasn’t sure if it was necessary to run two.

That depends. You need two cinch devices when doing the traditional/basic climbs as you seem to be doing. One for the lineman belt and one for the tether. These can be ascenders or knots such as a prusik knot. You need two because you need to be secured to the tether before you can release and stow the lineman’s belt, so each needs to have their own cinch device….typically.

So my answer above may seem vague or obscure, but it’s really not based on your question. You need two cinch devices, but they don’t necessarily both need to be ascenders. That’s a choice for you to make. Me, when doing that style of climbing, I use two ascenders. But there is no rule saying you can’t use one ascender and one prusik or similar knot. But you do need two of something for that style of climbing.

That depends. You need two cinch devices when doing the traditional/basic climbs as you seem to be doing. One for the lineman belt and one for the tether. These can be ascenders or knots such as a prusik knot. You need two because you need to be secured to the tether before you can release and stow the lineman’s belt, so each needs to have their own cinch device….typically.

So my answer above may seem vague or obscure, but it’s really not based on your question. You need two cinch devices, but they don’t necessarily both need to be ascenders. That’s a choice for you to make. Me, when doing that style of climbing, I use two ascenders. But there is no rule saying you can’t use one ascender and one prusik or similar knot. But you do need two of something for that style of climbing.
Most definitely, I should have added “instead of the prusik knot” Right now I have prusik knots on both but definitely want an ascender on my lineman’s since I think that will be getting adjusted the most. I can see where it would be beneficial on both, was just curious if it’s advantageous to use two or just one. Thank you!

You need to have both a lineman’s belt and tether, as said above. You shouldn’t remove your lineman’s until your tether is set. Also you can use your tether as a second lineman’s to get around limbs.

My first year I used 11mm ropes with Ropeman 1’s. Last year I went to an 8mm lineman’s with schwabisch hitch and tender. It adjusts just as easily as the Ropeman did while being lighter, quieter, and with less concern about ice/snow causing a problem.

You need to have both a lineman’s belt and tether, as said above. You shouldn’t remove your lineman’s until your tether is set. Also you can use your tether as a second lineman’s to get around limbs.

My first year I used 11mm ropes with Ropeman 1’s. Last year I went to an 8mm lineman’s with schwabisch hitch and tender. It adjusts just as easily as the Ropeman did while being lighter, quieter, and with less concern about ice/snow causing a problem.

Yes I have both of them and have been using both of them, I should have worded my original post different as it is kind of confusing. Just wondering from folks that have went to a mechanical ascender if they use one one lineman’s and tether or one or the other.

I ran a CT Rollnlock on both my tether and lb for two seasons, but I switched to hitches last year and will probably continue in that direction. Hitch selection and setup dictates ease of use, and I personally prefer the adjustability of the hitch on my lb without having to fully unweight it!

Back