• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ascending options for one sticking?

greg728

SH Member
I’m looking into changing it up and moving on from the madrock next year and curious what my options are for ascending. I know a lot of this has already been discussed in different threads the problem is I don’t always understand the terms people are using as someone with no rock climbing experience. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with an ATC with an auto block to descend from my tree and keep my madrock as a backup in my bag. As far as ascending goes, what are my options? I don’t hate mechanical devices but I’ve become more wary of relying on them alone. Do people use auto blocks while ascending as well or is that mostly for descending the tree? I’d ideally like to try something that isn’t super high maintenance and required a bunch of different ropes, devices, but is also on the safer side. Hopefully this isn’t too vague if anyone has any suggestions I’d appreciate it.

I like the FCX which I used all this year.I also used the GRIGRI PLUS and the Vergo. Both are excellent devices. I also have F4 and had a Madrock but didn't like it so I gave it to a f.

lots of folks going with hitches, but I’m back to using a ropeman And a separate tether. Switching over to the ATC and rappel rope isn’t a big deal, but it is a process that requires a few steps to switch over. I leave a simple prussik on my rappel rope that I just clip into the left linesman’s or bridge loop……Below the ATC. It becomes my brake hand and lets the ATC take the load as designed. Since the prussik never really takes much load, I just tend it out to the side a little And come on down. When I wrap my rope, I’ll slide the prussik back up to the top while feeling/checking the rope all the way back.

I got the GriGri+ for SRT and thought about using that and my rappel rope to 1 stick. But dang that GG+ is huge! It’s not as noticeable climbing the rope SRT, but moving a tether up a tree is totally different.

I’m looking into changing it up and moving on from the madrock next year and curious what my options are for ascending. I know a lot of this has already been discussed in different threads the problem is I don’t always understand the terms people are using as someone with no rock climbing experience. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with an ATC with an auto block to descend from my tree and keep my madrock as a backup in my bag. As far as ascending goes, what are my options? I don’t hate mechanical devices but I’ve become more wary of relying on them alone. Do people use auto blocks while ascending as well or is that mostly for descending the tree? I’d ideally like to try something that isn’t super high maintenance and required a bunch of different ropes, devices, but is also on the safer side. Hopefully this isn’t too vague if anyone has any suggestions I’d appreciate it.
If you’re going to use something like the ATC with the autoblock below for a backup, then just climb using the autoblock as your friction hitch. Once at height, before you’re going to rappel down throw your lineman’s rope around the tree to take weight off of the rappel rope, slide the autoblock down into the backup position and then put the ATC on above it. Tighten it all up then take your weight off of the lineman’s rope and you’re ready to rappel down. Simple, straight forward, and you’re not having to switch a whole bunch around or carry extra stuff.

After seeing the video above, I switched over to this as well. My ATC stays attached all the time and it can tend the hitch for ascending.

If you’re going to use something like the ATC with the autoblock below for a backup, then just climb using the autoblock as your friction hitch. Once at height, before you’re going to rappel down throw your lineman’s rope around the tree to take weight off of the rappel rope, slide the autoblock down into the backup position and then put the ATC on above it. Tighten it all up then take your weight off of the lineman’s rope and you’re ready to rappel down. Simple, straight forward, and you’re not having to switch a whole bunch around or carry extra stuff.
I think this is more what I’m looking for. I just can’t picture what you’re saying since I’ve never done it. Is there a video I can watch where someone demonstrates this?

Or add a second bridge and use a munter to come down. For me it is the least metal and fiddle factor of the ways I have tried. I have not used the mechanicals though.

I think this is more what I’m looking for. I just can’t picture what you’re saying since I’ve never done it. Is there a video I can watch where someone demonstrates this?

Check out this video starting at around the 11:00 mark. he specifically shows how he transitions around the 16:00 mark. Great video. The first part is showing the saying thing but with the Safeguard.

To me the simplest method would be to just tie on a longhorn agile hitch, attach to your main bridge, attach the atc to a second short bridge! This hitch is undoubtedly the easiest to tie, tends super easy one handed and grabs reliably! This way when rappelling down, just run your rope through the atc or through carabiner for the Munter , release the hitch, start and stop whenever you like! Easy peasy my friends!

Safeguard is my favorite by a lot. I get for some reason people trust friction hitches more, but I don't agree. Cam ascenders and belay devices don't have wifi, they are rather simple devices.
I don’t mind using a mechanical device my issue is relying solely on a mechanical device. It’s just a comfort thing for me each person has to make that decision for themselves.

I don’t mind using a mechanical device my issue is relying solely on a mechanical device. It’s just a comfort thing for me each person has to make that decision for themselves.
if used properly, mechanical devices are safer and easier to use. Do you think wind turbine techs are using cordage on their lines? They're using mechanical devices, backed up by another mechanical device. Same with oil rig workers

The Safeguard is a little different. It's for belaying only. I wouldn't hang off of it

if used properly, mechanical devices are safer and easier to use. Do you think wind turbine techs are using cordage on their lines? They're using mechanical devices, backed up by another mechanical device. Same with oil rig workers

The Safeguard is a little different. It's for belaying only. I wouldn't hang off of it
Could you use friction hitches, or are mechanical devices required?

Safeguard is a little different. It's for belaying only. I wouldn't hang off of it
Come again?

I'm not fluent on standards in the mountain recreation and rescue applications but most mechanical belay devices pull double duty here.

Tree work I think just the rope specs are too small for 133 but don't quote me on that either.

Is that due to the heights involved or some other reason?
Pretty much. The requirements are captured in SPRAT and IRATA documentation. Some of the reasons are standardization, the safety ratings they carry AND the ability to rescue. Those guys wear descenders, chest ascenders, hand ascenders and more

Come again?

I'm not fluent on standards in the mountain recreation and rescue applications but most mechanical belay devices pull double duty here.

Tree work I think just the rope specs are too small for 133 but don't quote me on that either.
Safeguard is an ABD. The manual states to never be hands off. That means if you're hands free, it could drop you straight to the ground. It's not autolocking. People don't believe this when I tell them, but there have been quite a few guys who have had rope slippage using ABDs hands off

Back