• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ascending tree on a figure eight

Marmuzz

Okay, I'm sure it's on here somewhere but I couldn't find the answer I wanted by searching old threads.

Is there a way to safely ascend a tree using a figure eight plate with a friction hitch above it (say, for one-sticking) that allows you to rappel in the same configuration without rearranging your figure eight?

I love the simplicity of climbing on a friction hitch and rappeling on a figure eight with a friction hitch on the right LB loop. What I don't like is the crossover needed when on stand. I prefer, if possible, the ability to climb—and rappel instantly.

Feel free to redirect to older posts if you know them.

Also FWIW I know there are ways to do this on lots of other belay devices. What I’m looking for is how to do it specifically on a figure eight.

I know this has been discussed before because many months back I took a screenshot of someone’s setup but now I can’t find the thread… yesterday however I tried that configuration (see photo) and I could not get the rope to tend upwards at all to remove slack. Didn’t budge.
7E544347-0623-4D86-BB30-258FEBACC2F7.jpg

This is one way, the stopper knot does the tending, and a method to silence it.
9043B7C4-2682-4948-92F1-CFF6C2D472C4.jpeg

I know this has been discussed before because many months back I took a screenshot of someone’s setup but now I can’t find the thread… yesterday however I tried that configuration (see photo) and I could not get the rope to tend upwards at all to remove slack. Didn’t budge.
View attachment 71005
That was me. It is in the Why don't you 2TC thread. Page 33 of thread post #651

My biggest problem was the delta link sliding down the tree. The actual rappel out was great. You do have to work the hitch back up the rope, and if I were rappelling on it a lot I would keep a close eye on the rope of the hitch and check for wear.

Last edited:
This is one way, the stopper knot does the tending, and a method to silence it.
View attachment 71008

That's pretty neat but I think the OP was looking to use his Figure Eight as a rappelling device not just an extra doo-hickey clipped in there?

Could a guy route his rope through an Eight in normal fashion and still tie that?
If so you'd have to tear it all apart every time you pull down your rope right?

Is there a way to safely ascend a tree using a figure eight plate with a friction hitch above it (say, for one-sticking) that allows you to rappel in the same configuration without rearranging your figure eight?

Feel free to redirect to older posts if you know them.

Are you thinking something like this? Screenshot_20220911-102114_Samsung Internet.jpg (not my picture)

You would have to "rearrange' it each time you get back to the ground that's all...

Only the carabiner has to be opened, not the eight taken off, to install the rope. To rappel, put a bight of rope through the eye and clip, need to grip with brake hand some to control. To get two fingers pinching the rope control, add another bight to the carabiner.
F94FFB51-4931-45EC-A320-B4DE5D6BAF51.jpeg

Are you thinking something like this? View attachment 71012 (not my picture)

You would have to "rearrange' it each time you get back to the ground that's all...
Yeah that’s sorta what I’m going for. I don’t have a problem connecting/disconnecting a device at ground level. To me that’s the same as clipping your bridge into your tether.

Have you used this setup to climb? Can you easily pull out slack with it?

What I want to get away from (when using a figure eight) is ascending on a standalone friction hitch, and then prior to descent having to clip into a secondary tether while I disconnect the first carabiner on the rappel line to reconfigure the friction hitch on the LB below and add the figure eight above. It works but it’s a little bit of a process that I don’t like doing in the dark after a long cold hunt. Plus, I like the ability of being able to instantly rappel if I need to. Again, I know this is possible with other devices, but I’m trying to find a way do it with a figure eight.

When I climbed on the set up above, I just clipped into the carabiner at the ground, set my desired length and climbed the tree with the rappel line as my top tether for 2TC. When I got ready to come down all I had to do was take off the foot tether and attach a pull-down line to the rappel rope and rappel out of the tree.

What I did not like about it was that I had trouble with the quick link falling down while I was climbing up. I was a bit of a hassle, but I added a keeper and that helped. The other thing I did not really care for was the 40 feet of rope I was carrying. If it were cut down to 30 feet, it might be better to carry. I got where I just like to 2TC up the tree with 2 regular length tethers.

Aside from those things, there was nothing to move or hook or unhook up at hunting height. Nothing to make a mistake on. The instant rappel option was nice, though.

I bought a figure eight but never plan to use it. A munter on a pear shaped biner does the same except for the easy soft lock you can throw on a figure eight. Another piece of gear I don't have to pack.

I bought a figure eight but never plan to use it. A munter on a pear shaped biner does the same except for the easy soft lock you can throw on a figure eight. Another piece of gear I don't have to pack.

Once you're already in the Munter it is really easy to go into a Super Munter for a soft lock...

If you didn't know that check it out it might be sumthin' you like?

Once you're already in the Munter it is really easy to go into a Super Munter for a soft lock...

If you didn't know that check it out it might be sumthin' you like?
Yeah I'm on to that. Still not quite as easy as that tug, snap on an eight but we're talking seconds so big deal right?

Yeah that’s sorta what I’m going for. I don’t have a problem connecting/disconnecting a device at ground level. To me that’s the same as clipping your bridge into your tether.

Have you used this setup to climb? Can you easily pull out slack with it?

What I want to get away from (when using a figure eight) is ascending on a standalone friction hitch, and then prior to descent having to clip into a secondary tether while I disconnect the first carabiner on the rappel line to reconfigure the friction hitch on the LB below and add the figure eight above. It works but it’s a little bit of a process that I don’t like doing in the dark after a long cold hunt. Plus, I like the ability of being able to instantly rappel if I need to. Again, I know this is possible with other devices, but I’m trying to find a way do it with a figure eight.
@Marmuzz
That's my photo and I attach that Figure 8, Prusik knot (8mm double eye prusik cord) and a carabiner to my bridge, before removing what I ascended with while "one-sticking"....which is a Ropeman1 and a carabiner. My rappel rope is 9mm Oplux. (Second Photo)
I attempted the 2TC and used my rappel rope to ascend, which is what I use, now, with the "one-stick" method. (First Photo)
Foot Loop 4.jpgMuddy Pro 2.jpg

Last edited:
@BowhunterXC thanks for clarifying that.
Yeah, so that works as a separate method for descending.

I’m looking for a method to ascend and descend with the same method using a figure eight. No changes on stand.
What’s the problem with adding a rappel ring or figure 8? It takes maybe 20 seconds?

Also keeping the figure 8 on at all times will make a lot of noise with the carabiner and everything else. It’s a lot quieter to just add the figure 8 when you’re ready to rappel.

What’s the problem with adding a rappel ring or figure 8? It takes maybe 20 seconds?

Also keeping the figure 8 on at all times will make a lot of noise with the carabiner and everything else. It’s a lot quieter to just add the figure 8 when you’re ready to rappel.
You’re right, it’s noisy and the crossover isn’t all that long. I think the eight could be silenced. More than that though, it’d offer the ability to rappel instantly if ever you needed to bail out of the tree.

Maybe it’s not possible. A figure eight is designed for descent, not ascent. So maybe I’m asking a device to accomplish a task for which it wasn’t designed. I’m just probing the possibilities because I know people are using belay devices up and down the tree in ways which the devices weren’t specifically designed for.

Back