• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Asking permission for spurs

Look guys. I been noticing a lot of you writing and calling the authorities where you hunt for permission to use spurs. Bringing it to their attention may not be a good thing and they may make a specific law against them where they may not be one now. Just something to think about.
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I’m not about breaking any laws. I feel if I’m questioned one day and there is no law against spurs, then I can make a good argument that it’s just a metal point being pushed against the tree by body weight the same as a lock-on and climber. If the officer doesn’t agree then I’ll just except my ticket. Ive wasted more money on hunting gadgets that don’t work. I never met an officer that wasn’t willing to hear me out.

Last edited:
@swampsnyper I'm with you 100% on this. I dissect the rule book every season and follow accordingly, if nothing is specifically stated it can't be enforced. I also usually try to err on the side of what would be considered the intent of the law, in my experience that's what the officer/s do as well. I think a reasonable case can be made that spurs are not the same as screw in steps or bow hangers and cause no more damage than a climbing stand or some strap on steps.

I'm banking more of the fact that I've never seen a warden away from my truck. But then again, I don't use spurs, do I? Can't remember. Don't need to go around promoting every little detail.

Spurs? What are spurs? I just sit on the ground officer...this pack on my back is for all my snacks!! :D

nobody that I know of, my point was that they are specifically called out in the rule books, not spurs.

Screw in bow holders and hooks aren't called out. Only thing that talks about penetrating the bark is for tree steps and stands:

Hunting platforms cannot be affixed or attached to any tree by nails, screws, or bolts; however, a "T" bolt or similar device supplied by a tree stand manufacturer can be used. A fall arrest system is recommended.

Screw-in tree steps are illegal on public lands. It is unlawful to use any item that penetrates through the bark of a tree in the construction or affixing of any device to assist in climbing a tree.

I think there's something to what you're saying. While it's unfortunate, WMA regulations in good ole 'Bama can be asinine. For example, my WMA says I can hunt hogs during squirrel season, but have to hunt them with 4 shot or a rimfire cartridge. o_O

Also, my Kestrel is illegal if you read the fine print, since we can't climb on WMA property without being attached to the tree with a TMA approved full body harness.

I can also catch, gut, and shove a bluegill on a treble to be eaten alive by a blue cat, but can't take the little fella home and keep him safe and snug in a fish tank. For his protection.

I could keep going, but the point is regulations are frequently not in my best interest, and often make 0 sense. No need to give them a chance to add another line of fine print to the rules they've made up for land we paid for.

I admit to writing one such letter. Well intentioned, harmless, and in good faith. Got myself the written permission I was after. But I've never seen a conservation officer braving the palmettos, and I'm inclined in the future to keep my head down and my mouth shut.

I’m staying quiet. Never had any officer analyze my tree setup anyway.

Someone on here already asked an officer in the north part of my state & was told ok since not a screw in step. So if asked I’m saying that verbal permission was given by an officer at state headquarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a grey area in Massachusetts. I can't find anything in the regulations that explicitly forbid it.

Do spurs typically penetrate the bark? they'd have to , right?

Back