• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attachment rope management

TLow25

SH Member
I’m sure I could find a whole thread on this but don’t really know what to search. What is everyone’s way to deal with your rope besides wrapping it around your stick 400,000 times? I feel like I have something around the house I could make work and not have to spend $15 on a 3D print job. All comments appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think wrapping them around your stick really is the best method so its already attached and its not one more thing you gotta fiddle with and find...if you wrap from top of stick and go around the stand offs to bottom, its really not too many wraps vs something like wrapping around the post. Alternatively, having a small loop of shock cord some how attached could be an option to help keep it attached and tidy.

I one stick. I wrap the rope around the bottom platform/step and aider and then around the stick a couple of times and then through the cam cleat. It's still pretty much a p.i.t.a, but to me it's better than another piece or part to fiddle with.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I one stick. I wrap the rope around the bottom platform/step and aider and then around the stick a couple of times and then through the cam cleat. It's still pretty much a p.i.t.a, but to me it's better than another piece or part to fiddle with.

I one stick as well. There is this thing on mobilehuntinggear called the wraptor. I think it is gonna be my problem solver. I also have some web dominators laying around I’m gonna try to rig up to do essentially the same job.

I one stick as well. There is this thing on mobilehuntinggear called the wraptor. I think it is gonna be my problem solver. I also have some web dominators laying around I’m gonna try to rig up to do essentially the same job.

I just looked the wraptor up. Looks like it would be worth a try. I did the nite ize gear ties for a hunt or two. Rope and aider would snag or they would grab a branch on the way up. I will probably stick with what I'm doing.

I have used something like this in the past and it worked well.

I had a spare rope loop so I added a quick hitch with it onto the end of the rope. That adds a little weight for throwing it around the tree and then when I wrap it up I slip the hitch over a standoff and pull tight (after wrapping around the standoffs a couple times). That way I'm not fiddling with tying a knot when I'm done for the night or trying to set up.

i think wrapping them around your stick really is the best method so its already attached and its not one more thing you gotta fiddle with and find...if you wrap from top of stick and go around the stand offs to bottom, its really not too many wraps vs something like wrapping around the post. Alternatively, having a small loop of shock cord some how attached could be an option to help keep it attached and tidy.
That's what I do on my pre-set sticks, 2 vertical wraps around the stand offs and stretch the bungee loop at the end of the rope to the next stand off. Quick, easy and secure.

What's everyones favorite alternative to the wheel? Bonus points if it gets bookface likes.

Sorry OP I don't mean any harm I just woke up like this today.

What's everyones favorite alternative to the wheel? Bonus points if it gets bookface likes.

This got a good laugh outta me, nothing wrong with a little improvement!!

I wrap mine lengthwise around the standoffs before a wrap around to hold it in place. Its still a wrap but there's fewer of them.

First picture is with the aider wrapped in (how I usually store it) and the second picture I moved the aider for clarification.

View attachment 100314View attachment 100315
What's that green cord going through your cleat?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

@RHayes,
It's a short piece of electrical wire (~16 gauge I'm guessing) that I wrap around there and twist tight to keep the cams slightly open. It mostly prevents the cams from slapping back on their stops and clanking when I pull the rope out to make my next move. Its much smaller than the rope diameter and sits underneath the rope so it doesn't affect the operation of the cam at all. There are other (and honestly probably a bit more effective) ways to solve this issue but most require some disassembly of the cleat which I didn't want to do.

1710416079173.png

Here's a link to an old video explaining it:

An alternate approach:

Last edited:
I’m sure I could find a whole thread on this but don’t really know what to search. What is everyone’s way to deal with your rope besides wrapping it around your stick 400,000 times? I feel like I have something around the house I could make work and not have to spend $15 on a 3D print job. All comments appreciated.

So, you're talking about the ropes for your sticks? The Tethrd One stick method (look up pics) is pretty slick.

Here's what I do for my 12 steps though. I tie a loop of shock cord on the end. I then wrap each daisy chain (in this case, but will work for anything) around my hand to make a coil (you could also do a figure 8 on your fingers or something else that is anti-tangle) and then I use that shock cord to attach this coil to the step. You could do the same with sticks. The advantage is that you grab the step or stick, unhook the coil, and then the whole thing is in your hand ready to rock n' roll.

So, you're talking about the ropes for your sticks? The Tethrd One stick method (look up pics) is pretty slick.

Here's what I do for my 12 steps though. I tie a loop of shock cord on the end. I then wrap each daisy chain (in this case, but will work for anything) around my hand to make a coil (you could also do a figure 8 on your fingers or something else that is anti-tangle) and then I use that shock cord to attach this coil to the step. You could do the same with sticks. The advantage is that you grab the step or stick, unhook the coil, and then the whole thing is in your hand ready to rock n' roll.

I got a pretty good idea of what you got going on on here but care to drop a picture when you get the chance? Thanks a lot.

I got a pretty good idea of what you got going on on here but care to drop a picture when you get the chance? Thanks a lot.

Nah....it's too easy to just get via text, sorry :)

Literally, you wrap a rope up into a coil and then you use an elastic cord to attach it somewhere.

Nah....it's too easy to just get via text, sorry :)

Literally, you wrap a rope up into a coil and then you use an elastic cord to attach it somewhere.

Respect that. Was just wondering if the shock cord also stayed attached to your stick and what that looked like. I’ll make it work.

Respect that. Was just wondering if the shock cord also stayed attached to your stick and what that looked like. I’ll make it work.

I would just experiment. In my case, it made more sense to but the shock cord at the end of the daisy chain and wrap that around the step. Your sticks and ropes combo might be different. I'd try it different ways, that's half the fun.

Found this which shows it. Sorry for being a d-bag before.

I would just experiment. In my case, it made more sense to but the shock cord at the end of the daisy chain and wrap that around the step. Your sticks and ropes combo might be different. I'd try it different ways, that's half the fun.

Found this which shows it. Sorry for being a d-bag before.

All good. Thanks for the help.

I use Amsteel daisy chains and a modified trucker’s hitch. I keep the daisy chains rolled up and kept in a pouch on my linesman’s belt (or hang on backpack waist belt or saddle…anything that climbed with you). Regardless, grab a stick, reach in belt, pull out rope, and go to work. Makes packing up in the dark easier, as well, not having to make sure the ropes are on the sticks perfectly. It works for me…

Back