• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Austrialpin belt buckles

GeoFish

SH Member
I have this setup on my Dryad hammock. I am also seeing this used on saddle leg straps. On the Austrialpin web site they call these
belt buckles and do not list a Kn rating. Are these OK to use in this application?
Screenshot_20231224_080556_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Yes in a webbing run through the slot application. I am not so sure in the application shown, see link.

Maybe @always89y can help and let us know if he has done any load testing.
Maybe I’m confused by the original question. What application? Bridge connection? As in, would the rating be similar for a bridge connection?

Maybe I’m confused by the original question. What application? Bridge connection? As in, would the rating be similar for a bridge connection?
This application. John at Tactisaddle is also doing this as a quick release buckle on his tree stand safety harness. But John also offers a Cobra buckle upgrade.

Screenshot_20231224_093211_Gallery.jpg

I have those buckles and I could not find a rating for them. They feel aluminum. For the bridge on my Wraptor I ended up going with the steel buckles the EWO sells, and they are rated at about 5000 lbs if memory serves, and they are quite a bit heavier duty than the Austri Alpin buckles. For a belt application I would think they would be fine. I did not trust them myself for life support. I could be wrong on that. But with no rating I was not ready to use them that way.

I have those buckles and I could not find a rating for them. They feel aluminum. For the bridge on my Wraptor I ended up going with the steel buckles the EWO sells, and they are rated at about 5000 lbs if memory serves, and they are quite a bit heavier duty than the Austri Alpin buckles. For a belt application I would think they would be fine. I did not trust them myself for life support. I could be wrong on that. But with no rating I was not ready to use them that way.
Does a magnet stick to them?

I asked Rock N Arbor and they did this test for me. Not sure how the 1.75" buckle would perform?
Is this strong enough, @Fl Canopy Stalker ?

Rock N Arbor seem like some solid people pairing up with good people from our community and bringing more equipment and testing on gear they sell and we use. Love to see it. Thanks for sharing.

I asked Rock N Arbor and they did this test for me. Not sure how the 1.75" buckle would perform?
Is this strong enough, @Fl Canopy Stalker ?

Those buckles are rated to 15kN (around 3360 lbs) as long as you use them TOGETHER like they did in the video. They stopped listing it on the AustriAlpin site but the provide the info in the buyers catalog they provide distributors. They are plenty strong enough for most (if not all) things we do

Those buckles are rated to 15kN (around 3360 lbs) as long as you use them TOGETHER like they did in the video. They stopped listing it on the AustriAlpin site but the provide the info in the buyers catalog they provide distributors. They are plenty strong enough for most (if not all) things we do
I am thinking about getting some straps made and using them to attach some tree steps. Light and easy to attach with gloves on.
@raisins what you think?

I am thinking about getting some straps made and using them to attach some tree steps. Light and easy to attach with gloves on.
@raisins what you think?

You're just gonna betray the trucker's hitch like that?

Lol....I'd need 12 of them which would get expensive, heavy, and jangly.

You're just gonna betray the trucker's hitch like that?

Lol....I'd need 12 of them which would get expensive, heavy, and jangly.
I like the truckers hitch. Just with gloves on, these would be nice. The 2 buckles are under 1 oz plus the webbing. I only run 2 to 4 steps plus some sticks.
I just need to find someone who can sew.

This is a good test for the pairing of the frame buckle and slot buckle where the former fits into the latter as shown in the videos and various images on this thread. But most applications I’ve seen (which I’m just some internet hobbyist mind you) is the frame buckle alone making a continuous loop with the webbing doubling over itself in the hardware (i.e. UltimAider). It is correct the 15 kN rating is maintained in that configuration too?

And related but minor tangent- for the life of me @gcr0003 I can’t figure out how using these AA frame buckles on your bridge you had the webbing slip (you mentioned this in another thread). It is tough for me to pull out the tubular webbing in my UltimAider using my fingers and working at it for minutes. No play or wiggle room at all.

This is a good test for the pairing of the frame buckle and slot buckle where the former fits into the latter as shown in the videos and various images on this thread. But most applications I’ve seen (which I’m just some internet hobbyist mind you) is the frame buckle alone making a continuous loop with the webbing doubling over itself in the hardware (i.e. UltimAider). It is correct the 15 kN rating is maintained in that configuration too?

And related but minor tangent- for the life of me @gcr0003 I can’t figure out how using these AA frame buckles on your bridge you had the webbing slip (you mentioned this in another thread). It is tough for me to pull out the tubular webbing in my UltimAider using my fingers and working at it for minutes. No play or wiggle room at all.
I haven’t tested it but it’s my understanding from speaking with their account rep that the 15 is only maintained when both buckles are used in conjunction with each other. Since most people were ordering the frame buckle alone, they removed the rating from the website since that wasn’t the intent of the buckle to be used alone. They make a special heavy duty tri glide frame if you want the 15 kn rating without an additional part but it’s much heavier and bulkier

I haven’t tested it but it’s my understanding from speaking with their account rep that the 15 is only maintained when both buckles are used in conjunction with each other. Since most people were ordering the frame buckle alone, they removed the rating from the website since that wasn’t the intent of the buckle to be used alone. They make a special heavy duty tri glide frame if you want the 15 kn rating without an additional part but it’s much heavier and bulkier
Got it. Thanks for weighing in. Good to see you round these parts more as of late, sir!

Back