• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back Tension Release

Michael Weingartz

Who out there is using a back tension release? Which one do you prefer and why? I am planning on making the switch this year. Looking at the Tru Fire Sear. I don't really know what makes one better or worse than the next. Just got to start somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are you looking for a true back tension release or just a thumb release? Trying to get a feel for the intended use since you posted this in the General Hunting Discussion section.

I want a true back tension release. My hands swell pretty bad sometimes and I don't want to rely on my ability to squeeze a trigger.

I recommend finding a back tension release with a safety when first learning. Your face will thank you. I’d also lean towards a pull thru tension release vs. going to a straight back tension hinge release. It’s easy to cheat a hinge.

Shouldnt really be “squeezing a trigger” ...

All releases should be fired with back tension.

With that said. I like to shoot a thumb release hunting so if I need to I can punch that trigger. I also use a hinge to keep me honest so I am not unconsciously punching that trigger. That hinge will tell me right away.

Last edited:
I recommend finding a back tension release with a safety when first learning. Your face will thank you. I’d also lean towards a pull thru tension release vs. going to a straight back tension hinge release. It’s easy to cheat a hinge.

Correct!

You can punch any release. Triggers for obvious reasons and a hinge by rotating your wrist and not letting the back muscles do it naturally.

I didn't realize there was a difference. I was under the impression a hinge release and a back tension release were the same thing. Also didn't know a safety was an option. Lots to learn and think about.

I would highly recommend practicing with a piece of string prior to actually hooking up to a bow.
John Dudleys has very good youtube videos on how he explains back tension. It may take you going through a few releases before you find the one that works for you best due to size and structure of the release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realize there was a difference. I was under the impression a hinge release and a back tension release were the same thing. Also didn't know a safety was an option. Lots to learn and think about.

A hinge will release when you rotate it far enough in your hand. A tension release is set to release when it surpasses the amount of set force to activate it. Tension release is a really great learning tool to learn the proper activation of your back muscles. Once you’re comfortable with that, then I’d advise a hinge. You can shoot a hinge without using back tension whatsoever. I believe Levi and Chance both wrote about they cheat a hinge release. I agree with using either one on a string before moving to your bow. Just like testing everything at ground level...

If I faced bad target panic and had a pile of money laying around ($400), I'd probably pick up John Dudley's Nock 2 It (thumb trigger) and Silverback (back tension) releases since they are shaped similarly and are intended to be used in tandem--the Silverback for training and the Nock 2 It for hunting. I've heard very good things about both, and the system makes a lot of sense to me conceptually.

This has all been a huge help, but what is everyone using and what do you like about it? Looks like I have a few trips to the bow shop in my future. Wouldn't mind having a few ideas to try out.

I have to aforementioned Dudley releases. I’m more partial to a Stan Element and Stan thumb release though. I also have a hinge with a safety, can’t remember offhand what model...Stans fit my hand better and are more comfortable. Duds releases and Carters in general are pretty thick.

I remember now, Truball Ultra Spot hinge. Four-finger with a safety.

Last edited:
A hinge will release when you rotate it far enough in your hand. A tension release is set to release when it surpasses the amount of set force to activate it. Tension release is a really great learning tool to learn the proper activation of your back muscles. Once you’re comfortable with that, then I’d advise a hinge. You can shoot a hinge without using back tension whatsoever. I believe Levi and Chance both wrote about they cheat a hinge release. I agree with using either one on a string before moving to your bow. Just like testing everything at ground level...
I was on the exact same path the year before last. First one I bought was the Truefire sear, then I found out about the tension release. Sent back the truefire since I got it from Cabelas, and purchased the Carter attraction. Definitely what I had in mind in the first place. I shoot a thumb style now for hunting.

My brain wants to anticipate and manipulate the use of a hinge release. I am currently using a Stan Element. It sits in my hand better and is more comfortable to me because of the thinner more rounded edges. The Carter Evolution is a similar release.

This may not be true for everyone but for me it changes with almost every different style of release i try. Be mindful that your sight picture may be off when making this change. You will most likely need to change the location of your peep due to your anchor point being different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use carter honey, which is a hinge with a safety. Definitely recommend the string idea first. They take some getting used to and definitely change the sight picture. I hunt with mine also and don’t have any issues.

Back