• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpack must haves

jfinn

I'm looking to get my backpack ready to go for the season again, seems to slowly get picked apart throughout the offseason. I'm wondering if anyone has a packing list they could share, or at least add to my list below. What are the MUST have items for your backpack? I wear my saddle in with all my ropes, and great strap with hooks.

1. head lamp
  2. extra batteries
  3. kill kit (knife, gloves, tag, zip ties,)
  4. binoculars
  5. range finder
  6. calls
  7. reflective tacks/flagging tape
  8. limb saw
  9. pull up rope
  10. wind indicator
  11. extra release

@Dmathews87 already mentioned a medkit, so I'll add to make sure some Tums or Rolaids are in there.
15. TP (I've been trying out some of the compressed towels - only need a drop or two of water to turn into a wet-wipe)

If you're using #7 (reflective tacks/flagging tape) for tracking, the TP can fill that role as well, plus after a couple of rains it disappears unlike the flag tape that we all see everywhere.

@Dmathews87 already mentioned a medkit, so I'll add to make sure some Tums or Rolaids are in there.
15. TP (I've been trying out some of the compressed towels - only need a drop or two of water to turn into a wet-wipe)

If you're using #7 (reflective tacks/flagging tape) for tracking, the TP can fill that role as well, plus after a couple of rains it disappears unlike the flag tape that we all see everywhere.

good call on TP or wipes, reminded me that i need to add to my pack....otherwise you end up turning a long sleeve shirt into a short sleeve shirt....not that i know firsthand or anything...

The question begs the questions: What all do you carry? What do you carry in your backpack? What do you carry where?

I have "saddle" gear, "always" gear, and "backpack" gear, haha! It's all part of how critical it is and as to when/where I need it. I find that for myself, it's easier to build kits and maintain them, than a full on gear checklist.

For example, my "saddle" gear always lives on/in my saddle (I wouldn't have these in my backpack, unless my saddle is in my backpack):
1-Tether setup
1-LB setup
1-35' of 5mm rated accessory cord (haul line and/or rappel line retrieval)
1-60cm Beal Jammy
2-Screw-lock carabiners
1-Emergency whistle
1-Folding rope knife
1-Gear strap
1-Back band

I do want to figure out how to add my first aid kit to my saddle, but maybe as an installed item prior to climbing... I haven't figured the specific way to fit into my system yet...

Last edited:
12. med kit
13. spare tether\rope\carabiners
14. snacks

15. Thermacell if you have skeeters.

As a part of the med kit, I make sure to carry an Israeli Bandage (compression bandage) or something similar to make a tourniquet out of. Lots of sharps between climbing sticks, broadheads, knives, Cypress knees, etc to cause nasty puncture wounds. I've read many horror stories of hunters/outdoorsman barely or not making it out because of blood loss. Granted, it's easy to overdo it with a medkit trying to prepare for EVERYTHING, but I at least try to have something to slow bleeding.

As a part of the med kit, I make sure to carry an Israeli Bandage (compression bandage) or something similar to make a tourniquet out of. Lots of sharps between climbing sticks, broadheads, knives, Cypress knees, etc to cause nasty puncture wounds. I've read many horror stories of hunters/outdoorsman barely or not making it out because of blood loss. Granted, it's easy to overdo it with a medkit trying to prepare for EVERYTHING, but I at least try to have something to slow bleeding.

mine is a tourniquet, quick clot, and qauze pads for most part. amen on the thermacell...see you SE LA too so you know all too well...

15. Thermacell if you have skeeters.

Thermacell should have been in the #1 spot.

I am trying out one of the flextail thermacell things. Uses the pads and it is rechargeable, so you don't need the butane. Amazon delivered it today so I will get my hands on it in a couple hours. It looks to be half the size too.
Also, a lot of survival things are going into packs. How deep are ya'll hunting? So of my hunts are a couple miles back, but by no means something I can't get out of. A backpack elk hunt is different, but a normal Saturday hunt, I don't need a shelter, fire making, and back up food.

My pack:
Thermacell, Water, a snack, TP, grunt call, kill kit, small med kit, battery cell, nose jammer, 3-4" fixed blade knife.

Oh yeah, when playing the wind you MUST have milkweed. That wind is always changing.

Last edited:
-game bags if you pack meat out
-paracord for leaving a preset or binding items
-I always carry extra cinch straps or Nite Ize gear ties for lashing things to pack
-water and snacks of course

My whitetail kill kit includes:
1-25' yellow 2.2 Zing-It
2-Micro carabiners rated for ~900lbs.
1-Havalon knife w/3 extra blades
2-Wet wipe packets
4-Compressed "tablet" wipes
1-Game bag
1-Tracking flashlight
1-Game dressing glove set
1-10 reflective tacks
1-10' reflective ribbon