• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpack

frankp

A slightly different sewing project. About 6 years ago I made a "prototype" hunting backpack. That pack served far longer than I expected it to and this year I made a new one with some salvaged parts from the old pack. The new version of the ~25L pack features a main compartment with internal water bladder pocket, internal and external "accessory" pockets, and a removable weapon sling. On the outside, there is an an insulated water bottle pocket and a second large external pocket as well as a handle, gear loops, and some elastic for strapping jackets etc to of the pack. The support structure/soft "frame" of the pack has an integrated haul yoke that ties the 2" webbing shoulder straps into the 2" webbing of the waist belt. I can attach a pulk sled to the shoulders, the hips, or both.

This is the original prototype with my bow when I first made it in 2015. It's made out of a cheap canvas material that I dyed hoping to get close to a safety orange. That obviously didn't work out. The new design removes the quiver mount from the side of the pack in favor of the external pockets. The quiver always ended up getting caught on tree branches and shrubbery so didn't work out as well as I had hoped.
20151105_211917 copy.jpg

Mark II version - I reused the waistbelt and shoulder straps from the original pack as well as the carry/hang handle.
20220211_185212.jpg

Partially loaded:
20220211_185302.jpg

And a few "in progress" pics:

Front of pack with daisychain. The extra from daisy chain is the connection point for the gear sling in the final.
20220209_221945.jpg

External accessory pocket in place. Pocket is actually internal with external zipper access.
20220209_230645.jpg

Internal accessory pockets (salvaged from original back, hence the splotchy orange/gray color)
20220210_175648.jpg

Weapon sling "tie down" flaps attached. The two bottom gear loops unhook to connect to ladder locks on the weapon sling and then a single piece of webbing comes from the other side of the weapon sling up to the ladder lock on the bottom of the daisy chain.
20220210_182357.jpg

Side panel added. On the right is the extra tall insulated water bottle pocket. On the left (harder to see) is a large pocket with an elastic opening that I can stuff a lightweight shell jacket inside or some other similar gear and access it while hiking.
20220211_104622.jpg

Still trying to complete one lol
I recommend picking 2 or 3 key features and just doing it. Trying to get "perfect", especially on a first effort, is really hard to do. Plus, don't worry about aesthetics the first couple of times... just get functionality. Figure out what works (and what didn't) and then make another one to replace it after a couple of seasons.

Looking good. I haven't dove into backpack making yet. It is intimidating.
It can be intimidating but it's actually no more difficult than a harness or any other sewing. You can make any complicated project less so if you just break it down into smaller parts. For example, sewing pockets onto side panels is super easy. Sewing a side panel to a back panel is just a straight stitch that follows a mostly straight line. Put those steps together and you already have half a backpack.

I’ve made a few chest rigs and pouches. Just got combine what I want into a pack. I’ll eventually get done with my idea/pattern. Can’t wait to see what else you create!

Back