• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpacking Set Up

nomadicbohunk

I'm looking at getting a saddle set up this week for backpack hunting whitetails in a certain place. It's a 4 hour, 1500 ft gain, trailess hike in to where I'll camp and hunt. There's a few blowdowns. Compactness is key. I'd prefer to keep to sticks now, even though they will be a bulky pain. I know ropes would be better, but I'd like to do that for a few years before attempting it in the dark. I plan to put the sticks on the tree and hunt the same spot. I will use the saddle in more accessable locations, but this is the impetus. Weight is a moderate concern. I'll already have a lot of cold weather camping gear, so a couple pounds isn't a huge concern. I plan on sitting as long as I can with the cold. It will be a rut hunt with people tracking the deer and pushing them to me.

I should add, I've done a ton of backpacking down to -20F. I'm not worried about that part. The coldest it would be here is 10, but 30 would be more normal. I've also done a lot of western hunting. If anyone is curious, I'll do this in New England.

Thoughts on this set up? Anything would help. I will admit I'm a buy once cry once kind of person and will properly wear something out. I'm upgrading my compound bow this year. It's a 2002 model.

Cruzr xc kit in size 2. I'm a little worried about winter clothing, etc fit. I'm 5-11, 170 if that makes a difference.

Predator Platform

Beast sticks.

Anything else I'd want? Thanks!

If you can legally do it, look at bolts and a hand drill instead of sticks. So much more compact than sticks.

Sounds like my kind of hunt!!! I hunted the same way for 12 seasons, minus the people pushing them to me part, I was alone or with a couple of friends at most, I agree with the above bolts are king for this type of situation, I hunt the Adk’s and wouldn’t have it any other way!

Welcome. That search field in upper right corner will have tons of details for each part of your inquiry. if you will pack out meat or lots of gear = back pack w Frame , if not Packing meat( that reads poorly :( standard pack works.
for the saddle; research single panel and two panel, pick one.
beast; search here or watch a YouTube review. Plenty of members like them.
platform; large enough to pivot or minimalist? or ring of steps ( and many variations of )
don’t get to far into the hole everything you listed is more than adequate.
good luck from NH

Back