• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backups for Trad hunting

katiesmom

SH Member
This is a newbie question
When I hunt with my compound bow, I carry backups like an extra release and other stuff

I'm trying to figure out all I need for trad hunting.
I've come up with a stringer, a tab or glove and a backup string, ready to shoot. Is there something else I need to carry? Thanks all. 24 and a wakeup!!

93pphIu.jpg

This is a newbie question
When I hunt with my compound bow, I carry backups like an extra release and other stuff

I'm trying to figure out all I need for trad hunting.
I've come up with a stringer, a tab or glove and a backup string, ready to shoot. Is there something else I need to carry? Thanks all. 24 and a wakeup!!

This may be a newb question of my own but how do you keep your spare string ready to shoot? Just knowing your brace height? How do you determine that if that is the case, in the field?

This may be a newb question of my own but how do you keep your spare string ready to shoot? Just knowing your brace height? How do you determine that if that is the case, in the field?
The spare string needs to be a used, stretched string. Twist-tie the loops together so you don't lose any twists while it's in your pack.
And its a good idea to mark the brace height on one of your shafts with a tiny piece of pin stripe where it intersects with your shelf...you'll always have a reference for your brace while in the field.

The spare string needs to be a used, stretched string. Twist-tie the loops together so you don't lose any twists while it's in your pack.
And its a good idea to mark the brace height on one of your shafts with a tiny piece of pin stripe where it intersects with your shelf...you'll always have a reference for your brace while in the field.

This is good info! Thanks @Allegheny Tom

I use my last seasons string for my backup. It’s well shot in and has more than a few shots left in it. If I am hunting far away I will bring a backup bow that I’m proficient with. Usually hunt with a one piece my backup is a take down. I would carry an extra glove. Usually have a tackle box with extra arrow points and stuff and keep that in the truck. Other than that. Just the normal hunting stuff.

l have a full backup bow setup in the car, planning to do the same with trad. This is for day hunt, but if you are backpacking for days, I would do what @Petrichor suggest and carry a back up takedown you can leave at camp too.

My backup string is one that has been shot on the bow before.

To the stand or on a trip? I’m not carrying bowstrings to the tree. Maybe an extra tab,but that’s it.

I've never broken a string in the woods so I don't carry an extra, but for all the space a string takes up in the pack, I guess it's not a bad idea.
Never done it either, but I know people that have. This is one of the huge advantages of having a tradbow is the ability to restring in the field.

Never done it either.
My very experienced bowhunting uncle was in his stand one day and he kept hearing a "tink", "tink", "tink" sound that puzzled him...then all of a sudden WHAP! his bow string broke. He must have cut part-way thru several strands and the "tink" sound he was hearing was each strand popping. He said it startled the crap out of him when the string snapped.

Great idea for the brace height. Thanks

Back