• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Baffin Titan boots

swd

I bought these last week hoping they would take care of my cold feet. They have removable liners and are rated to -148°F.

Bottom line - my feet got cold both mornings I used them in 25-30°F temperatures.

I got them 1 size up from my normal size and wore a single pair of wool socks with them.

The first morning I was dropped off about 200 yards from my stand and walked in. After about an hour, the cold started to creep in.

The second morning I walked to a different stand in lined crocs with no socks on. I climbed up, got settled, took the crocs off and let my feet dry out. I put on a single pair of wool socks and slipped into the Baffins. My feet were cold within an hour or 2.

They are getting sent back today. I am still in the market for some system that keeps my feet warm. I have everything else dialed in. I just cannot get my feet comfortable once them temps drop into the 30's.

Did you let the liners dry out from the previous day??

If you get cold feet, here are two options...

I have some baffins titans for ice fishing. I wear cotton socks and have been out in sub 0 weather. Never got cold. I kept true to size, maybe a size up is your downfall. Just spitballing, I couldn't be more impressed with then, I hate cold feet

I just wore mine on back-to-back all day sits in northern MI for the start of our rifle season. I had to wiggle the toes here and there, but personally, was very impressed and pleased with how they performed. Interesting your experience was different. It was between 12* and 38* while I was in them.

The liners did dry out. My feet did not sweat to speak of on either sit, and I only wore them for the mornings. I changed into uninsulated boots for the afternoon hunt Friday to still hunt an oak grove about a mile back and did not hunt Saturday afternoon.

Maybe it's the wool socks?? I switched to a polypropylene sock and that helps for my sweaty feet, I'll sometimes change out to a merino sock once my body cools down after the hike in.

Get some Irish Setter Elk Tracker 1000 gram boots and a pair of thin liner socks and wool socks. If it’s super cold I’ll throw a toe warmer in but I’ve been good in temperatures around 15

If your feet got truly cold at 30 in Titans then good luck keeping them warm in anything. I have problems keeping my feet warm and the Titans are the warmest boot I have ever had on.

I don't think the boots are the problem.
You may be right! Odd thing is that my hands don't generally get cold. I wear glove liners and have a Mossy Oak muff with a single hot hands in it. It is better than a campfire. My upper and lower body system is dialed in, and I stay really comfortable at every temp I am likely to encounter in my area. It's just the feet. Goes back to when I started hunting a bit in my early teens.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am going to give the sock liners with Hot Hands Insoles and wool socks next time.

If that doesn’t work for you try the icebreaker boot blankets. Wear an uninsulated or lightly insulated boot in, slip them on with hand warmers on top of each boot. That’s the only way my feet stay warm in really cold weather. Just a pain because I need rubber boots in most areas I hunt and the blankets don’t seem to help much with rubber boots.

I hear some people spray their feet with antiperspirant
I was just about to say this. I just started doing this for this year and I am very happy with the results. We haven’t had freezing temps too much this year when I’ve gone out, but upper 30s I’ve been good with muck wetland boots and alpaca wool socks.

If that doesn’t work for you try the icebreaker boot blankets. Wear an uninsulated or lightly insulated boot in, slip them on with hand warmers on top of each boot. That’s the only way my feet stay warm in really cold weather. Just a pain because I need rubber boots in most areas I hunt and the blankets don’t seem to help much with rubber boots.
I have the Arctic Shields. I used them once last year with no joy, but I have been reading that wearing them with Muck boots may have been my problem. Going to try them one day this weekend with my Speed Freaks and see how they do.

I have the Arctic Shields. I used them once last year with no joy, but I have been reading that wearing them with Muck boots may have been my problem. Going to try them one day this weekend with my Speed Freaks and see how they do.
I had the Arctic shield and imo the icebreakers are much better.

I would say that if your feet get cold at 30 degrees, you need to see a doctor and ensure your circulation is ok. I can hunt the 30s with Nike dryfit socks and uninsulated muck boots. If I keep my feet dry and my core warm, my feet stay fine.

Either you have a circulation issue, or you're over-insulating, which is leading to sweating and damp, cold feet.

I suffered with cold feet for years. I tried everything from spray anti-perspirant on my feet to buying battery powered heated insoles to spending hundreds of dollars on boots and nothing worked. The only way I can keep my feet warm is wearing a Light weight boot into my stand and taking them off placing them in my backpack. I then change my socks and put on a pair of insulated slippers that fit inside arctic shield over boots.
I will also drop a few hot hands inside each boot if it’s really cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: swd
What do you wear to keep your core warm?
Sounds like a weird question but if your core is getting cold or chilled then your extremities will be the first to get cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a article back in the 80s that said the way manufactures rated temps on boots was the average human walks 2.3 miles a hour, if you wear 1 pair of wool sock then the boot will keep your feet at body temp walking at 2.3 miles an hr. setting in a tree all bets are off. I put 2 adhesive on kidneys, 1 in middle of chest and 2 on top of thighs. I wear keen summits boots. I put 1 on top of foot and 1 on bottom. Now granted in north Alabama the temps don't get cold like it does up north. I did hunt a couple of weeks ago when it was 19 that morning and made it just fine.

What do you wear to keep your core warm?
Sounds like a weird question but if your core is getting cold or chilled then your extremities will be the first to get cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything else is comfy. I have the River’s West Ambush Parka and bibs with a polypropylene base layer next to skin and heavy Avery Outdoors layer. I wear liner gloves and use a fleece lined Mossy Oak muff.

Apart from my feet, I couldn’t be much more comfortable down to the teens in that stuff.

Thanks!

Back