• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Balloons IN the actual bed

Patriot

Absolutely insane. These were in beds, the second one was literally inside the worn dirt of the bed, like the deer is laying on the freakin balloon. Red circle is worn bed, blue circle is around the balloon 90% buried which I pulled out for the other pic. The bed is leeward to the log for predominant winds - just like Infalt and the legends teach. I’m starting to call my shots. I put pins for target areas where I think buck beds will be and last spring I was right about 50% of the time, this year I’m closer to being right about a third of the time.

greenup is here - scout hard while the scouting is good fellas!!

Attachments

• 6ED632A9-A820-4321-A6B5-39D9ACAE4DD1.jpeg
    6ED632A9-A820-4321-A6B5-39D9ACAE4DD1.jpeg
    819.2 KB · Views: 404
  • 68435436-2722-414C-A8CB-7AFF9109653F.png
    68435436-2722-414C-A8CB-7AFF9109653F.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 401
  • 075C4FB5-A9EA-4A0B-86A6-B3E48FBA7C93.png
    075C4FB5-A9EA-4A0B-86A6-B3E48FBA7C93.png
    2 MB · Views: 385
  • 56032187-254B-4A53-B4F2-5A0721FA64D4.png
    56032187-254B-4A53-B4F2-5A0721FA64D4.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 368
Wow! That's cool. You know, I have seen the same thing scouting, just not IN the actual bed, but close to primary scrapes and rubs. In some spots where I have seen good buck sign, I have seen balloons also. It happens often enough that if I am scouting and see a balloon I go over and thoroughly investigate that area. It's weird.

I wonder if it has something to do with thermals and wind? All the wind pushes and settles to the area. Buck sits there because he smells all kinds of stuff.
Just a thought.

that’s the theory. Look it up, we’ve been talking about that exact theory for years on this forum and Hunting Beast. This is additional evidence. Guys post pics every year. It’s crazy. I scout like crazy and I rarely find a balloon that isn’t within 10 yards of a bed. They are always close. It can’t be coincidence.

Here's one I found in August of last year while scouting. It was on the tip of a point and there was buck sign everywhere. No other significant sign was anywhere near this spot. When I do find balloons I check the area, mark it, and take the balloon with me.

I was telling a friend about this, and he said I should buy 1000 of these balloons and let them go about 20 miles upwind of my hunting area, lol.

Attachments

• balloon 1.jpg
    balloon 1.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Balloon 3.jpg
    Balloon 3.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 142
that’s the theory. Look it up, we’ve been talking about that exact theory for years on this forum and Hunting Beast. This is additional evidence. Guys post pics every year. It’s crazy. I scout like crazy and I rarely find a balloon that isn’t within 10 yards of a bed. They are always close. It can’t be coincidence.
So now that you say that. I have a spot at the farm with a few balloons in the woods. I know they all like to bed about 20-30 yards east of there. There is some fallen logs, grass, and water around.

Another one found very close to one of my primary scrape areas. I found this after I located the scrapes and it just reinforced what I have seen. I'm not saying some balloon can't just land randomly, but when I see one, I take note.

Attachments

• balloon near primary 3.jpg
    balloon near primary 3.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 98
I have had numerous experiences like this to the point where I was scouting a buddies farm with him and I explained that we were gonna go out on a point we were walking towards and find an old balloon next to a bed and when we did his brain exploded. He thought it must have been a prank

I was just thinking about getting some balloons and leaving them in crappy but obvious spots..
Ha, I used to do something similar when I was in that hunting club. I made a big turkey foot on a stick and would stamp it all over turnouts where I knew there weren't likely to be any birds. It never failed that guys would camp out there and then scratch their heads that the birds were "quiet", lol.

This first happened to me two years ago, and I’ve noticed several more since. Late last season I was glassing suspected bedding in a river bottom down below me, figuring out what move to make, I actually spotted my target buck, then lowered the binoculars and noticed 30 yards from him there was a foil balloon tangled in a tree. It’s crazy.

This year I also started checking all big trees in good spots, and I’ve found a good number of them with hair left on the ground at the base… I couldn’t tell if it’s buck or doe but I’m finding frequent beds under trees that kinda catch your eye.

This is so interesting. I have seen so many balloons in the woods and didn’t pay much attention to them. Now I’m sitting here trying to remember which ridges I have seen them on.
Same!!! I often wondered why I saw balloons in places where I ended up wanting to place trail cams..... wow... never knew about this until now!!! I saw several of these instances even while scouting this spring. I'm like, how the heck did a balloon get way up in here??????? You absolutely do learn something new every day!!!

Does anyone know of any Infalt or other YT vids on this??? I'm very intrigued by this now!!! I've wind mapped with milkweed in locations and powder.... wonder if there is any utility to releasing some over the course of a week or so and then going back through to pick them up and get locations to scout.

Back