• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Battle Axe Platform Review

MSbowhunter48

Oct 15, 2019
What up fellas, I know @Horn was wanting a review on this platform so I figured I’d just post my thoughts for all to see.

I’ve been rocking the Gen 2 predator platform for the past 3 years. While it’s done me well I’ve always thought a wider, closer to the tree platform would suit my style better. So I decided to give the Battle Axe a shot.

This platform is sold by Wild Edge but is made by Matt at OOAL, so you know the quality you’re getting there. I’m really liking the ability to stand more in an athletic position with my feet wider, at times I felt like I was on a catwalk with the Predator platform. The BA also sits at more of an angle than the Predator so my ankles feel more in a natural position.

The top step isn’t really necessary but I like the option to put my foot there to change things up. The BA takes side pressure a lot better than the Predator so far, I’ve had times where the Predator would want to kick out if I put too much side pressure near the tree. The only downside I’m really seeing with the BA is the standoff on the top. It causes you to have to set the platform a little different than I normally would the Predator. But boy when that platform is set it’s rock solid, the teeth on that thing are sharpppp.

I think I’m gonna enjoy this platform, it seems to suit my style pretty well and I can’t wait to put it through the ringer this season.

Foxrun22

Aug 10, 2019
I bought one as well. I haven’t had much time to mess with it, but I agree it’s rock solid and takes side pressure very well. I’m looking forward to using it this fall.

Reactions: Plebe

Horn

SH Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hey, thanks for the review! Are you climbing with the BA as well? I see the aider, looks pretty similar to what I'm doing on my x-wing.

MSbowhunter48

Oct 15, 2019
Hey, thanks for the review! Are you climbing with the BA as well? I see the aider, looks pretty similar to what I'm doing on my x-wing.
Yes, I have 2 step aider attached to the platform. The only complaint I’ve read about the x-wing is the hard angle your feet have when leaning against the wings, have you had that issue?

Horn

SH Member
Mar 8, 2022
Yes and no, sometimes it's very comfortable and sometimes it does really kinda dig into my feet. Like my ankles and my legs are comfortable but the bottoms of my feet aren't. I haven't narrowed it down to my boots, tether/bridge or even if one saddle works better than the other. I've considered adding a couple diy pads for bigger foot rests

MSbowhunter48

Oct 15, 2019
Yes and no, sometimes it's very comfortable and sometimes it does really kinda dig into my feet. Like my ankles and my legs are comfortable but the bottoms of my feet aren't. I haven't narrowed it down to my boots, tether/bridge or even if one saddle works better than the other. I've considered adding a couple diy pads for bigger foot rests
Makes sense, I had the same trouble at times with my predator when I would have my feet on the edge of the platform for a while. The BA doesn’t seem to give that discomfort but wont really know till I’m on it for hours in a tree.

shutterbug99

May 3, 2023
I picked up the Ridge Runner 2.0 myself. Very similar to the Battle Axe.

Looking forward to using it this year. I still have my original Ridge Runner as well. Can’t quite part with that one.

I’ll attach a video review I did on the platform.

Ridge Runner 2.0 review

Last edited: