• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bear taking a dump in my mock scrape

At least he left your camera alone!

53f08037c005d97833d0c98441915b53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does having a black bear in area effect the deer? Genuine question. I have had 3-4 incidents where bear come in to base of tree. Looking back, I dont think I saw many deer at those stand locations.

How does having a black bear in area effect the deer? Genuine question. I have had 3-4 incidents where bear come in to base of tree. Looking back, I dont think I saw many deer at those stand locations.

Deer definitely avoid bears. I've never seen deer from stand on sits where a bear is in the area. Bears roam a very long way so they coexist but again the deer avoid the bears in my experience.

I have black bears and deer constantly on my cameras. Sometime they are just hours apart. It doesn't seem to bother the deer in my area at all. It might be different state to state or area to area based on population / concentration ?

In my experience deer will get nervous if there is fresh bear scent in the area but not necessarily leave the area completely. I’ve had two instances when deer came through within 30 min of a bear walking through. One instance was a 2 yr old buck and the other was a group of does. Both times the deer got nervous and spent some several minutes trying to figure out where the bear was/went but eventually they moved on through in the direction they were heading.

Ive also had two instances were bear were clearly scent trailing deer that had run through minutes before.

I've got a bunch of videos of deer running away then the next video is a bear.
That pretty much sums it up.

On the other hand, I've never had one drop a deuce in a scrape. That stinks!

We have a very high deer density and a high/increasing bear population. I get daily pictures of bears now on multiple trail cams. Doesn’t seem to effect deer activity in our area at all.

I’ve had one camera sequence like that. There’s no doubt bears do their part to keep a deer population in check. Mainly in early summer, they can be hard on fawns.

Last edited:

Thats why we consider you lucky

Mainly in early summer, they can be hard on fawns.

I heard any interesting piece of trivia on one of the MeatEater trivia shows recently. The number 1 cause of death by predator for fawns was coyotes at 76%. Second was black bears at something like 14%.

I’m not pointing that out to disagree with you. It just surprised me how many more fawns coyotes kill.

I heard any interesting piece of trivia on one of the MeatEater trivia shows recently. The number 1 cause of death by predator for fawns was coyotes at 76%. Second was black bears at something like 14%.

I’m not pointing that out to disagree with you. It just surprised me how many more fawns coyotes kill.

I listened to the same meat eater trivia. Those numbers seem accurate on a large scale. Coyotes cover much more landscape across the country than bears.

I have daily pictures of bears and coyotes and daily pictures of fawns. In areas with good fawning habitat predators won’t get them all.

I was sneaking around last season and scared a bear out of it's bed maybe 40yds away and as it ran away it was slinging poo everywhere....climb/jump/stumble over the barbed wire fence and left hair and feces smeared on the fence...startled me then was really funny

I was sneaking around last season and scared a bear out of it's bed maybe 40yds away and as it ran away it was slinging poo everywhere....climb/jump/stumble over the barbed wire fence and left hair and feces smeared on the fence...startled me then was really funny
Guess you scared the sh*t out of him :tearsofjoy:

Interesting, i was out in oregon and saw a flash of black in side mirror as i was driving and felt something thud the rear corner of truck. I found poo across the road and all over through the brush but no blood. It was very dusty/ashy after big fire making it easy to see disturbed trail. I felt bad that I might have done damage to its guts because of the amount of feces. This makes me feel better. Maybe they just jettison a few lbs to go into turbo mode. Come to think of it, I did just that last turkey from roost flush at 0430 on way to deer stand. Back to thread

Does anyone use or have killed a deer with a mossin rifle?

Back