• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beast Stick Thoughts

Vorsteg

SH Member
First off, Let me say, I LOVE these sticks. They really bite. But there are some caveats to that. I just came home from my first run with my new beast sticks. The first mishap I had was on my second stick up. I was wearing my Nike sneakers (this could have been the problem). with my right foot on the top step, when I lifted my left foot up, the sole of my shoe was embedded in the tread of the stick and this lifted the bottom cleat. I wasn't sur what had happened, but when I put that foot back down the bottom had kicked out and I went down a little bit, enough that my chest scraped the step from the stick above. Those steps are sharp. I have a nice cut on my chest. So my take-aways from this experience, first, wear boots. I thinks the soles of boots will stand up to the aggressive tread of the steps. Second, wear gloves. I was equally hard on the hands to hold the step to seat the cleats into the tree. This was a learning experience and I LOVE this sticks. This is an awesome product.

Attachments

• 20200930_200943.jpg
    20200930_200943.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 132
Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with how sharp the standoffs and steps are. I have the gen 1 sticks and from my understanding the newer sticks aren't as sharp as the first batches were as they added a little more radius. I didn't touch the standoffs, but ground a slight chamfer around the steps and it made a big difference. Still got a good grip but not so sharp they are cutting my hands and shoes up.
1e151fa60e39f95c3d74c26e0c119c1e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Man, that's strange. I've climbed up my beasts hundreds of times with boots, sneakers, just about everything. And I've never had the sole get embedded into the top of the step.

I haven't had any issues like that before, I hope I don't as well, knock on wood...

I sat out 2 nights ago with light weight hikers, similar to sneakers. I have never had the issue that you referenced in your post. I am a big fan of the
scout platform, https://doublesteps.com/product/scout-platform-1-ooal/, in fact, this is all I use unless I am planning a very long sit. I wish the Beast sticks packed a little better, other than that, they are very nice.

I had a similar experience with my beast sticks. So I wrapped the step and stand off where they stack together in several layers of camo cling wrap. It helped alot

Back