• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beds during a Rain

USSHornet

SH Member
We have been getting a lot of rain and while scouting I am not bumping anything I have been trying to figure out if they bed in areas that they can find some relief any thoughts? I’m sure if they could find hi n dry they would but if not where do you think they are ..just their normal beds they just deal with it? Anyone got this figured out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my area rain doesn't seem to affect deer movement much unless its pouring down hard. They seem to stick to the same travel corridors and seem to hit hardwood feeding areas the same as if it were sunny. I don't know where you hunt but maybe your bumping them before you know your bumping them and they are long gone by the time you get there. Deer are known for staying up high and overwatching the most likely avenues of approach.

They won’t lay in water, but other than that I think it’s business as usual. They know where all the little high spots are, and use them as needed. An area with browse, privacy, and two or three raised spots big enough for the family to get out of the water is plenty. The deer could be out of the area or simply moving in a way that your not seeing them.

In my area rain doesn't seem to affect deer movement much unless its pouring down hard. They seem to stick to the same travel corridors and seem to hit hardwood feeding areas the same as if it were sunny. I don't know where you hunt but maybe your bumping them before you know your bumping them and they are long gone by the time you get there. Deer are known for staying up high and overwatching the most likely avenues of approach.
This. Most of the deer that are bumped are not seen by the bumper.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Many years ago I was hunting in a fairly heavy steady rain. A nice 8 point walked up and bedded directly under a pine downfall about 25 yards away. He was tucked up under the fallen pine and staying as dry as possible given the conditions. Unfortunately I didn't have a real clear shot at him so I decided to wait him out. 4 hours later and soaked to the skin even through my rain gear he got up and walked out the backside of the tree. I don't know if I've ever felt so wronged in my life. I earned that buck sitting there patiently in that rain. Oh well, that's hunting.

The point is he definitely had a plan and knew where he was going to sit out the rain.

Back