• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Beginner recurve bow

Mschmeiske

SH Member
I thought I landed an older recurve, but long story short, it didn’t work out.
I was curious what some of you would recommend for a starter bow?
I’ve heard a lot about the samick sage or black hunter, but I also considered an ILF or DAS riser? The start up cost is more, but I do like the thought of resale value. I figure the other two i mentioned are a dime a dozen.

I figured I’d see what everyone else thought. Also, any recommendations on strength training? I shot a 40lb recurve the other night, but I sure was shaky. I guess sitting around drawing and tattooing has taken a toll on me over the years. :coldsweat: For now, it’s just for fun, but ultimately I would hope to hunt with one some day, so I better eat some spinach or something.

I started this year with a Galaxy ILF riser and TT limb set up.
I’m 43 - 5’10” and 160 . Started with 45# I’m pretty consistent with 50# now and hope to hunt at this weight. I also have 40# limbs- if I feel I’m losing form or want to warm up, these are noticeably easier to draw.
Personally I’d go ILF but nothing wrong with a sage or black hunter.
My suggestion is to try to meet up with a SH member locally , really helps the learning curve .
There is a good amount of info here about training / practice to build up to hunting weight .

You cant really go wrong with any of the Samick Sage and their clones. They are all made in the same place from what I understand, just different branding. I been using a Sage with 25# and 45# limbs. The one advice I can offer to a fellow beginner is don't give yourself timeframe goals to achieve or monitor your progress too intensely. Just enjoy shooting it for now, enjoy learning. I enjoy it a lot more when I pushed back my goal from using it next season to using it in 3 years. At first I did not see enough progress so I try to make life easier. Whisker biscuit, 3 pin sights, maybe even d-loops and release! The Sage can have all of that install! But remember you are trying something new because it is hard, making it easier defeat the purpose.

BUT if I was to get a bow, I would keep an eye out on Ebay for a good used Bear or Pearson, or go ILF and get the Samick Discovery riser which I heard is really good quality and value.

Honesty moment, I did put a modern compound quiver on the Sage, no one told me quality trad quiver were so expensive....

Back