• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best (affordable) .22 for suppressor use?

TNbowhunter

I recently picked up a suppressor in .22 that I'd like to use for plinking and squirrel hunting. I currently have a beautiful little Ruger 10/22 I love that shoots great, but the barrel isn't threaded. I'd love y'all's thoughts on what I should do here... I'm considering the following options, but I'm open to other ideas:
  1. Pay a gunsmith to thread the barrel on my 10/22 ($100-200)
  2. Order a threaded barrel for my 10/22 ($150-250)
  3. Order a new 10/22 with a threaded barrel ($350)
  4. Order a Ruger American Rimfire with a threaded barrel ($380)
  5. Order a Savage MkII with a threaded barrel ($250-350)
  6. Order another new rifle with a threaded barrel ($TBD)
On the one hand, having the suppressor on my current 10/22 lets me keep using the gun I love and is the cheapest option, but going with one of the other routes adds another rifle to the safe (including potentially a bolt gun my wife and young sons could learn to shoot with). I'm most concerned with accuracy and price--if the gun isn't capable of squirrel headshots (with good ammo) at 50-75 yards, or if it costs more than $400 or $500, I'm not interested. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I'd go with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6.

I'm not a big fan of Savage's fit and finish. (Harbor Freight tools either)

I do have a Savage MkII that shoots lights out but the trigger is horribly cheap as is the floorplate and trigger gaurd...

I bought a tikka with a threaded barrel a few years ago. I would definitely have that on your list of options.
Definitely considered these, but they're pricey and awfully hard to find right now, unfortunately. Plus, I fear with a rifle that nice, I wouldn't share it with my wife and kiddos! haha

I would go with option 1 or I'd spend the extra money for something a bit more unique.

Something like:
-Browning T-bolt (supressor ready)
-IZHMASH 22LR Sporting rifle Biathlon 7-2 KO

I have always been a fan of accurate or purpose built rifles. Option # 2 would be the route I would lean towards. The Whistle Pig barrel have been on my radar for awhile.

1 or 2, shoot sub sonic ammo and look into the cci conversion. You can also upgrade the recoil buffer pin to a quieter version but be careful of the YouTube tacticool crowd as some of their versions are sketchy and effect accuracy. Use a quality component like brownells.

Pick up a second threaded barrel for the 10/22 you have. That is the simplest solution.

Your best non-affordable option: Anschutz 1727 F

Back