• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best heated pants/longjohns?

TNbowhunter

I'll preface this by saying I have more gear and "stuff" than I need, and this is a total luxury item, but my folks are pushing me to share a Christmas wish list and heated pants/leggings is about the only thing I can come up with that would make a huge difference in my comfort afield, as I'm very cold-natured. So far, the Pnuma Outdoors IconX Heated Core Pant looks like the bee's knees. Anyone have experience with that pair or another set that you can recommend? Thanks in advance!

Replying half to see what the other replies are, half to give a different suggestion (super helpful Justin, thanks! Jk). Parents and inlaws always love giving socks at Christmas. It's practically a Christmas meme. If you don't have good wool socks, throw some Darn Toughs on the list.

I'll preface this by saying I have more gear and "stuff" than I need, and this is a total luxury item, but my folks are pushing me to share a Christmas wish list and heated pants/leggings is about the only thing I can come up with that would make a huge difference in my comfort afield, as I'm very cold-natured. So far, the Pnuma Outdoors IconX Heated Core Pant looks like the bee's knees. Anyone have experience with that pair or another set that you can recommend? Thanks in advance!

I have those and they are amazing. The battery location can can be better

Only other suggestion for warm baselayers I can make and they aren’t heated is the Thlete H1s they are the bees knees

I have a set of Gobi base layers that work great other than the where the on/off controls are and battery placement on the garments. They do work great though and I like them better than the pnuma set I have. Price is about the same.

Because of where the controls are on the bottoms, if it’s cool when I get dressed I just turn the pants on low before getting fully dressed. That’s plenty of warmth for several hours in the saddle and most times if the pants are on then I don’t need the shirt to be on.

The controls for the shirt are above the left wrist so it ends up under your jacket cuff. It’s not terrible to get to but it should be somewhere else like on the chest. I did somehow manage to turn it on high while climbing the tree once and immediately thought “Damn I’m outta shape…why am I sweating so bad?” Then I realized the shirt was on high so you gotta watch that.

I have a set of Gobi base layers that work great other than the where the on/off controls are and battery placement on the garments. They do work great though and I like them better than the pnuma set I have. Price is about the same.

Because of where the controls are on the bottoms, if it’s cool when I get dressed I just turn the pants on low before getting fully dressed. That’s plenty of warmth for several hours in the saddle and most times if the pants are on then I don’t need the shirt to be on.

The controls for the shirt are above the left wrist so it ends up under your jacket cuff. It’s not terrible to get to but it should be somewhere else like on the chest. I did somehow manage to turn it on high while climbing the tree once and immediately thought “Damn I’m outta shape…why am I sweating so bad?” Then I realized the shirt was on high so you gotta watch that.
It looks like they may have recently redesigned the Gobi long johns to have the power switch in a flap that can go outside your pants. Would that resolve your complaint, or do you have the current model?

It looks like they may have recently redesigned the Gobi long johns to have the power switch in a flap that can go outside your pants. Would that resolve your complaint, or do you have the current model?
I have the current model. Unless you leave the flap outside your pants there’s no way to get to the controls once in the saddle. The flap is actually sewn inside the waistband and flips outside to control them.

Back