• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best hunting knife

Long Range

So I’m sure this has been beat to death but…. What’s your favorite hunting knife. I’m looking for a new one. I have an outdoor edge now with Aus-8 stainless blade. Not happy at all. Does not hold an edge. I would love carbon steel blade. Lock back or fixed blade. Not interested in replacement blade knives either. More of a traditionalist. Thanks!

Not sure I have a favorite really...I just have too much money in them lol. Except for when I crossbow hunt, I think my knives cost more than most of my guns. Current knives that go out with me are a bark river knife, not sure what model it is, a bone trapper neck knife from blind horse knives. Occasionally I take a custom blind horse knife out with me too. Do have some cheap Elk River knives that do the job well, actually they have a 2"blade knife that I use that I use do do all the deboning of the deer I process.

Argali Carbon s35vn steel holds an edge great, only 1.8 oz, lifetime guarantee and lifetime free sharpening.

spyderco stretch...just don't buy from the spyderco site because the msrp they charge is almost double what shops like cutlery shoppe charge for a new one

the steel is a japanese cutlery steel, vg10, that for me is the perfect blend of corrosion resistance, edge retention, and ease of sharpening...i can process a whole deer and not sharpen during and then get it popping hairs again in 10 minutes

also ergonomics are perfect for my hand and the grip texture is very secure

Deer: Mora knife. Pick one. Great value, exceptional performance.

Elk (backcountry hunting, when I'm counting every ounce): Kestrel mountain caper - it weighs 22 grams. And, yes, the 2 3/4" blade works great on large game - I've used mine on several elk, bear, and a moose. Kydex sheath weight 7 grams.

Personally I use an ESEE 3 - holds the edge well and is also easy to keep sharp. It's a little heavy and thick for what I typically use it for (gutting), but it does the job well and I prefer the feel of a heavier blade when working.

Back