• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best place to clip your pull down line for rappel rope

bj139

Last week, I waited till after dark to rappel down and pack up since I could see the trail from the tree I was in so no bumbling in the woods finding my way out, or so I thought. I clipped my pull down line carabiner to my rope past the end of the figure eight loop as I always do as shown in the photo. I descended and pulled the rope free from the figure eight loop up in the tree. The crotch was narrow and the figure eight knot got stuck in the crotch. I flicked the rope and got it free a little but a mighty pull wedged it firmly in the crotch. @weekender21, you told me so. :grinning: I thought I would return the next day to retrieve my rope but engaged my brain and realized I could throw my throw bag over the crotch the opposite way I had to set the rope in the first place, tie the tail of the rope to the line and pull the tail up over the crotch. One throw in the dark and I hit the crotch tied it to the tail end and pulled the rope over the crotch and down to the ground.
In regards to throwing the throw bag, I have found greater accuracy in the "Y" technique by keep the Y legs about a foot long. This also helps clear the brush when you are swinging the weight. Tree arborists on Youtube mention making the line hanging down as long as possible. This may be good if you are trying to hit a crotch 70 feet up but 30 feet is no problem with shorter line legs.

I hook my pull line next to my hitch and tie it loosely with the tag end to keep it from moving around while it gets pulled up.

EDIT: bj139 was complimenting the method below, not saying it caused the problem. My bad buddy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not sure exactly what you did but the way I do it, the figure eight is the first thing to move and it immediately moves away from the tree. It’s not possible to get stuck if you take the tine to set it up properly. You need to think about what side of the tree you’re going to be pulling from and set it up accordingly.

I’ll take a picture of the rope, knot, pull cord relationship from the top of the tree next time I’m out. You’d have to get very creative to get it into a tree crotch.

becf78b0eb31d653a07151b45c91ab02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
According to the picture your pull down line carabiner is on the running part of the line when it should be placed behind the figure 8 knot. If you place that biner right behind the knot (where the tail dangles) it guarantees when you tug on your retrieval rope the figure 8 loop will come straight down to you and the tag end of the rappel rope will feed itself thru the loop and can then easily be pulled thru any crotch without getting caught.
See @weekender2's pic above...works like a charm every time!

Hello!!! Read my post. You give someone credit and you get chastised for it. Never again. Maybe. :grinning:

Hello!!! Read my post. You give someone credit and you get chastised for it. Never again. Maybe. :grinning:
Your post is confusing brother. You state "I clipped my pull down line biner to my rope past the end of the figure eight loop as I always do as shown in the photo", but the photo shows the biner on the other side of the loop, no where near the figure 8. The way your photo shows, the figure 8 is bound to get lodged? Post number 3 (@weekender21 ) shows the way I do it. Never gets lodged.

Not chastising you by any means bud, sorry if you took it that way. Just wanted to make it clear it's best to pull from the figure 8 knot side and not from the loop side. Believe me, the only thing on my mind at the end of the hunt is making sure I don't have to make the "climb of shame" back up the tree because I set up my pull down rigging wrong.
Best of luck to you!

Your post is confusing brother. You state "I clipped my pull down line biner to my rope past the end of the figure eight loop as I always do as shown in the photo", but the photo shows the biner on the other side of the loop, no where near the figure 8. The way your photo shows, the figure 8 is bound to get lodged? Post number 3 (@weekender21 ) shows the way I do it. Never gets lodged.
No. You understood my post perfectly. You just refuse to believe it. Argh!!!

Now I know why hardly anyone admits defeat and gives credit to the winner. It is easier to keep fighting. :blush:

Oh gotcha, my bad! Your original post was confusing when I read it. I’m only on my first cup of coffee out here in Hawaii!

Glad it worked out for you!!!

I’m jealous, my three days of Whitetail hunting in 2019 have come and gone, it’s back to hogs and axis deer.

Good luck with the rest of your season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back