• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best practice for when daisy chain webbing is between holes

littlefish

This is my second season saddle hunting after years in a climber and even more years before that in ladder stands. As such this is also my second year using climbing sticks. All of last year I climbed with the Dan O daisy chain webbing and had no issues but I've always wondered: Sometimes the holes in the webbing are too tight for one and the second one is very loose, so I have to have the back of the webbing up high with a lot of downward slope on it to get the stick to the height I want. Is this acceptable, or should I be wrapping / tying something off to take out some slack? I have never had a stick kick out on me, but I've always had it in the back of my mind that this could lead to an issue? Or am I overthinking here?

And this can be done with the webbing straps too, not just amsteel rope daisy chains?

never tried it with webbing chains versa straps whatever you call them. Should be able to runaround button through chain pull tight and get a tighter loop Atleast back to button.

never tried it with webbing chains versa straps whatever you call them. Should be able to runaround button through chain pull tight and get a tighter loop Atleast back to button.
Ok yes I follow. I think the material would be too bulky to tie the trucker's hitch, but the tighter loop and back to the button should work well. Thank you!

Sometimes you can kick out the bottom of the stick which'll give you more slack to hook the hole then cam the stick back on the trunk. The truckers hitch mentioned above works too if camming the stick doesn't work. I had to do the truckers hitch method on my platform last weekend. It was a large, misshapen tree with big bark and couldn't get my platform set without it kicking out. The truckers hitch cinched it down tight and solid.

Ok yes I follow. I think the material would be too bulky to tie the trucker's hitch, but the tighter loop and back to the button should work well. Thank you!
I’ve done this technique with Versa Straps and tied the half hitch to secure and it works great.

Ok wow that makes perfect sense. I had a feeling something like that could be done. Thank you. I've seen the term rope mod a few times and never really knew what it meant.

that trucker hitch isn't the rope mod

you can do the rope mod with a daisy chain though

no need to read past post 2. i've started doing that on every stick even if the daisy hits the button correctly, it works that well

Rotate the stick 90° and pull the next tighter hole over it. You can almost always rotate the stick back around the tree. This is actually my normal process unless its perfect. Rarely is.

Back