• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best rope for lineman/tether

scottprice

Looking at Yale Kernmaster and Teufelberger KM MAX....

Let me know what you guys are using. On my lineman’s belt I have a Ropeman1, but on my tether I use a Prusik because there is far less adjustment going on there, so I don’t mind the Prusik

I’m going to order two 8 foot lengths of rope, each with a 5 inch eye on one end.

Also would like to be able to order online and not pay $20 shipping for 1 pound of rope lol

needs to be 10mm at a minimum for the Ropeman, not a super bright color like most arborist ropes, static rope, “soft” enough to pack in a side pouch
Predator checks those boxes. I suppose tethrd ropes but I'm not a fan (mine are dust collecting). Maybe consider an oplux tether?

The Oplux and sterling knots are small - I personally didn’t see the value in 20 bucks to get an eye when the knots are small ( vs predator or the Terhrd ropes) - Oplux with a knot is way less bulk than the thicker ropes with spliced eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the rope from Tethered for my linesman. I think it grips the tree well and is full enough to fill the hand, and soft enough to stuff in a sys hauler. I still use the original for the tether also but for me is less important because I don't use it to climb.

If I order from DanO I might get all 10 mm HTP line so I can use it in my Ropeman... supposedly the 8/9mm isn’t safe to use

For those rope diameters you need a kong duck the R1 is 10-13mm. Or friction hitch

Right, so the 10mm HTP would be a good option for lineman. If I got the 8mm Oplux For the tether I’d get a Beal Jammy

It’s rated for 10-13mm

Gotcha. I thought you meant that diameter wasn’t safe in general.

Since we brought up safety make sure you back up your ropeman with a friction between the ropeman and the tree in case of a fall. Read on here somewhere that they can sever the line at something like 4kn.

The Oplux and sterling knots are small - I personally didn’t see the value in 20 bucks to get an eye when the knots are small ( vs predator or the Terhrd ropes) - Oplux with a knot is way less bulk than the thicker ropes with spliced eyes.

Can you shoot a pic of the oplux with knot

Can you shoot a pic of the oplux with knot

The rope that Greg & Ernie supply with the mantis is also a good tether, it just packs up larger.
It's fine...but when marketing pushes the space-saving benefits of spliced ropes and the product is bulkier than even knotted predator, it's still a product that I purchased but never took into the woods. It's objectively a fine enough deal I guess, just not to my taste.

Back