• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best saddle pack with no hip belt

I switched over to a messenger style bag from direct action. It holds everything I need & then some. I really like it for moving through brush but especially the ability to grab anything I need out of it while I'm climbing. With all the molle you can do all kinds of stuff.

Depends on how much you are carrying? I have the Eberlestock Dagger which I love and its my main setup. But I think the Bandit might be the best when it comes to doing everything well with no hip belt.

I really like a satchel. I have a few different sizes. I get them from EWO. I have one minimalist for a platform setup, one for a ring of steps setup and one for an all day platform setup. What I like about them is easy access while setting up. It's like having dump pouches but not having a dump pouch on my saddle is even better. The material is super quiet yet durable. Once I am setup the pack has a tiny profile. Check them out.

I purchased a military molle pack at a local military surplus store, for $40.
It has plenty of storage, lots of molle loops to attach gear, several straps to attach gear and good pack straps. :cool:
Cruzr XC 1.jpg

I haven't used it for hunting but I have a Camelbak pack, I think the Motherlode. The hip belt is removable, as is the frame sheet. I ran it for years with neither as a general use knapsack and recently re-assembled it with the thought I might hunt with it this year.

No MOLLE on it, but nothing wrong with a medium ALICE pack, especially if you upgrade the shoulder straps.

I used my old military pack when I first started, a condor venture, which worked pretty good. It has a removable hip belt. Platform fits pretty good in the large pocket.
C5FBABB5-4376-403F-87B8-E7327F4B606C.png

I used my old military pack when I first started, a condor venture, which worked pretty good. It has a removable hip belt. Platform fits pretty good in the large pocket.
View attachment 71422
I've got a 5.11 pack very similar to that Condor. A bit too busy to hunt with IMHO - no large compartment for layers - but I like the MOLLE on the drop-down front compartment. Someone could probably make a few bucks selling add-on marsupial packs like this to attach to other packs.

Anyone got one they love!? Hate the hip belt for wearing my saddle in. Drives me up a wall.

What are you trying to carry?

A pack with no waist belt puts all the weight on the shoulders/back. Imo, they kinda suck for anything other than very light loads and/or short distances. In many situations you'd be better served by packing your saddle in a more accommodating pack that shifts some load to the hips.

Otherwise find a pack that will organize your stuff in a way you like that has wide and/or nicely padded shoulder straps. That's where the weight will ride. Some folks like a yoke style best. Idk.

Beyond that, maybe something that provides ventilation would be better than something that doesn't. Haven't tried it, but there is an option to add an air gap to a pack that otherwise would ride against the back.

I've got a 5.11 pack very similar to that Condor. A bit too busy to hunt with IMHO - no large compartment for layers - but I like the MOLLE on the drop-down front compartment. Someone could probably make a few bucks selling add-on marsupial packs like this to attach to other packs.
Yeah it was really busy that’s why I stopped using it lol.

Back