• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big Guys (280lbs+) and the WEI Perch

7x57_Mauser

Are any of you big fellas having problems with the WEI perch pulling the step standoffs away from the tree? I'm getting the standoffs as tight as possible and camming them over, but when I step on it always seems to pull the standoffs about 1/2" off the tree. What gives?

I'm not sure if maybe I need to stretch the ropes out for a while since they've been sitting all winter? I'm almost ready to look for a different climbing system as these things are kind of a PITA honestly.

I'm not a real big guy at 210 and I had the same issue your having. In my opinion the perch and step wasn't a dependable set up so I moved on to a predator and haven't looked back

I couldn’t get into the WE for climbing, but for a ROS I really liked them when I tried them. However, I’m a 5’7” and 180# Hobbit without gear weight, but IF I were much heavier at all I would 1) sell the Perch combo and put that $$ towards a pot-bellied Ridge Runner, 2) buy a second Perch, or 3) look into a WE ROS. I just went through the platform selection process last week, and I treated it like when I bought my LW stand. When I see the same 300# rating on a Summit stand as I do on a LW stand, then I try the two, one of these things is not like the other. In regards to Perch vs RR (or even Predator for that matter), both of these things have a 300# rating, but one of these things is definitely not the same IMO. Even at my size, I feel like I’d trounce the Perch setup in my December bulk without a couple of extra Stepps or even a second Perch, allowing me to put one foot on 4:00 and one foot on 8:00 as I straddle the tree.
Just another thought:
If you know for very you’re camming then over correctly, have you tried an extra strap or rope mod?
Ok, shutting up now...

This is the reason I haven’t ordered the perch. Being a large guy myself and fan of the stepps I had to hold off because of personal experience with plywood platforms. There is the ability to use the perch as leverage to assist in camming over but I don’t think it will be enough. The problem is if they are a little loose when you first stand on them they just get looser as the step eats into the bark and wood. Not a big deal climbing but a pain as a platform. If it’s a new step definitely give it time to stretch. I’m very happy now with a strap on ring of steps. I have the predator also and use it when the conditions make it suitable but spend 90 percent of my time on steps.

I'm new to saddle hunting and since I was going with the stepps for climbing, I thought the Perch made sense to use as a platform. I have only been up on the Perch a few times and I am having this issue at 155lbs. Chalking it up as a lack of practice right now. Considering changing the ropes because I don't think I'm getting all of the stretch out when I'm camming over.

I couldn’t get into the WE for climbing, but for a ROS I really liked them when I tried them. However, I’m a 5’7” and 180# Hobbit without gear weight, but IF I were much heavier at all I would 1) sell the Perch combo and put that $$ towards a pot-bellied Ridge Runner, 2) buy a second Perch, or 3) look into a WE ROS. I just went through the platform selection process last week, and I treated it like when I bought my LW stand. When I see the same 300# rating on a Summit stand as I do on a LW stand, then I try the two, one of these things is not like the other. In regards to Perch vs RR (or even Predator for that matter), both of these things have a 300# rating, but one of these things is definitely not the same IMO. Even at my size, I feel like I’d trounce the Perch setup in my December bulk without a couple of extra Stepps or even a second Perch, allowing me to put one foot on 4:00 and one foot on 8:00 as I straddle the tree.
Just another thought:
If you know for very you’re camming then over correctly, have you tried an extra strap or rope mod?
Ok, shutting up now...

I'm 6'3" and trying to get below 275 by season and I just can't get the perch to work. Last season I used the WE steps with aider, then used two WE steps for a platform. I might just stick with this, less stuff to mess with. I just always seem to get hot and sweaty. Not to mention I injured my shoulder trying to get one to cam over once (just my luck!!!).

I'm 6'3" and trying to get below 275 by season and I just can't get the perch to work. Last season I used the WE steps with aider, then used two WE steps for a platform. I might just stick with this, less stuff to mess with. I just always seem to get hot and sweaty. Not to mention I injured my shoulder trying to get one to cam over once (just my luck!!!).
Damn, that shoulder is more important than the step; can’t shoot your bow with one shoulder!

Damn, that shoulder is more important than the step; can’t shoot your bow with one shoulder!

Yeah, I definitely tore something because it went SNAP!!! then was really stiff for like 2 weeks. It's just now getting to where it doesn't hurt. My shoulders are messed up from the military anyways though. Already had the left side rebuilt in 2017.

I'm leaning heavily towards sticks and the steps for the platform the more I think about it.

Yeah, I definitely tore something because it went SNAP!!! then was really stiff for like 2 weeks. It's just now getting to where it doesn't hurt. My shoulders are messed up from the military anyways though. Already had the left side rebuilt in 2017.

I'm leaning heavily towards sticks and the steps for the platform the more I think about it.
Have you downed the poundage on your bow as a result?
I also think your sticks and steps plan is a sound one, considering the shoulder. SNAP is only something you want to hear in the woods when a deer breaks a stick.

Depending on how new y’all’s WE stepps are, it could also be rope stretch.....
Make sure to tightly attach your steps to a decent diameter tree and leave for a day or two. That weave sometimes has a bit of play in it from the factory that needs to be worked out. Kinda like milking a climbing rope when it is new.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

6ft and 245ish. Using the perch to cam over the step 3 times, tightening the rope each time works for me.

I also have a dedicated step for the perch and stretched the rope for 2 days, taking up slack until there was no more.
I used a big tree that used as much of the rope as possible to be sure to stretch the whole length of the rope.

Have you downed the poundage on your bow as a result?
I also think your sticks and steps plan is a sound one, considering the shoulder. SNAP is only something you want to hear in the woods when a deer breaks a stick.
I'm still able to pull my bow back fine, but there's a kind of pop when I do it. Not like a knuckle cracking, but like a joint thing. I need to go get it checked out.

Also, like @always89y said, I'm going to try to stretch my rope on a dedicated step and see where that gets me.

Back