• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bino harness recommendations

Mschmeiske

SH Member
Fisher-Price my first bino harness :tearsofjoy:

I’m looking to purchase my first bino harness and I was curious what everyone prefers? Feel free to tell me what you like or dislike about them too. Thanks and Happy 4th of July!

Last year was my first time using one. I bought the Marsupial Gear harness. It worked perfectly fine for me all last season, but I’m currently awaiting delivery of the new Kifaru one. My only complaint on the Marsupial harness is I have had issues with the magnets and using GPS on my phone.

A bunch of people are going to recommend the Rick Young outdoors harness that is just shock cord. It works well but in my opinion doesn't really keep your binos from bouncing around and doesn't protect the glass at all. If your wanting super minimal it's the way to go.
I don't have a ton of experience but I'm running the Fob from FHF gear and it is amazing. I had a T&K harness the last couple years and really like it. Can't go wrong with either of those optionsScreenshot_20230623_112100_Gallery.jpg

Marsupial is great. 30% off for the rest of the day today. Catamount is another good one. Kifaru is TBD and the Kuiu is nice.

I have and use the RYO system too; and if I’m doing water ops…… and they are good but don’t cover your glass. You can pair an MG rain cover over your glass with the RYO system if you don’t want the bulk of a full harness.

I use rick young for cheaper glass but want to baby the good stuff. I use FHF pro-m and love it after 3 years or so. The FOB is nice but it’s just too massive. I put the new airframe harness and wings on my pro m (wife got it for me for Father’s Day) and I’ve been very pleased with that upgrade comfort and stability wise. Hard to go wrong with marsupial either they make great stuff. Haven’t been super interested in all the other options like the new kifaru one, mystery ranch, etc. range finder protection and positioning is important to me and my FHF does that well. Alaska harnesses have too much going on for me personally

Ultra light binocular harness for the ultra cheap binoculars…
I run a completely enclosed harness for my Swarovski EL range binos.
If you are going to spend money on a good pair of binoculars, buy something that will keep your glass clean and clear from debris while walking to your stand,so you can see what you are trying to glass.
I like seeing animals not dirt and scratches on my lens.

Ultra light binocular harness for the ultra cheap binoculars…
I run a completely enclosed harness for my Swarovski EL range binos.
If you are going to spend money on a good pair of binoculars, buy something that will keep your glass clean and clear from debris while walking to your stand,so you can see what you are trying to glass.
I like seeing animals not dirt and scratches on my lens.

Maybe a pelican case then?

I use an RYO harness. When I'm walking, I use one of their neoprene bino covers. So far, so good.

Some places you may not have any issues, but for me most places I hunt has me walking through 3-6’ CRP.

I’m another fan of the Rick young harness with his neoprene cover, or a simple shoulder strap to keep the binos in my armpit. I tried a few of the chest rigs and didn’t like having a hulking mass on my chest, for me it just added more obstacles to be mindful of. I still plan to try some more models as I like the concept of having my binos protected,
But so far I am preferring simplicity.

I have the Kuiu case, it works great. Quiet, fully protects the glass. I used it for a week on Kodiak this year and it was excellent. I wish they made it in Orange however for the lower 48, a binocular harness covers a lot of a blaze vest especially if I’m wearing a backpack. I probably will buy a FHF or Marsupial gear orange case before rifle season.

I have the Rick Young and neoprene cover I’ve used stand hunting for rifle, it’s fine. But the neoprene cover requires two hands to use and the whole system doesn’t prevent the optics from being beat up.

I’m another fan of the Rick young harness with his neoprene cover, or a simple shoulder strap to keep the binos in my armpit. I tried a few of the chest rigs and didn’t like having a hulking mass on my chest, for me it just added more obstacles to be mindful of. I still plan to try some more models as I like the concept of having my binos protected,
But so far I am preferring simplicity.

They have this cover too, for the Swarovski crowd, lol.

I suppose I was fortunate that my cheap glass came with an attached eye cup cover and lens caps. No need to invest in such contraptions and accessories.

3B8273D4-226E-47A5-8094-4EB57CEFCDBC.png

They have this cover too, for the Swarovski crowd, lol.

I suppose I was fortunate that my cheap glass came with an attached eye cup cover and lens caps. No need to invest in such contraptions and accessories.

View attachment 86904
Exactly. When the weather is bad I sometimes travel with the rubber lens caps on.

Back