• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Binoculars

stauffer33

What binoculars are y’all using? I am looking at getting a new pair but don’t know what I want. Send me some suggestions

I have a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10×42s that I've used for gator and turkey season. For deer season I had been rocking a small Bushnell set that I believe are 8x30 or something like that as I don't tend to use them often in the thick stuff I hunt in the south... by the time deer are in sight they're usually within 40 yards already. Though there has been instances walking out after a morning hunt or in for an evening hunt where the 10×42s would have been helpful. Made a 550 cord harness for them this year for turkey saeson and was able to keep them at the ready and tight to the chest. Going to give it a shot this year for deer season and see if its an added benefit to my setup or not.

Just remember if you can't see it you can't shoot it. Vortex has a good warranty apparently, look on every forum and you'll see that. Ought to tell you something else too..... id recommend to look at the meopta lineup, zeiss has some nice lower grade binos around 800$ new. Of course swaro, but don't forget about maven. Some of the reviews and comparisons are putting them in top end class too. Leica can't be forgotten either. As mentioned below that I forgot to mention

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Leica trinovid 10x42, the older model, they wern’t cheap but my eyes are terrible and these help, I also have an older pair of poro prism Steiner 8x30 I think, predators, there 20 years old and nice and compact and still work great, they can be found cheap on ebay and are a solid bino in opinion.

I use a pair of Leupold BX-1 10x42 and I hunt thicker timber. Friend of mine uses Vortex Diamondback 12x50 and he hunts mainly field edges. Both are in about the same price range and both have very good clarity. The only difference is the Leupold comes with a nice neoprene case and the vortex comes with a lower end chest harness.

i guess i hunt big woods and thick swamps, so i never carried binocs, just usually my range finder, which has a 6x on it. I like the one eye use on it, i find it easier to set the focus than with 2 eyed binocs, and usually wind up using my less expensive binocs one eyed anyways. is there really that big of an advantage to investing in a good set of binocs if you were in my situation?

Hutact 10x42. They cheap but preform better than my dad's expensive Nikon....I rarely take them...I got a small monocular that stays on me while I'm hunting and it works just fine for me.

Leupold bx-1 mekenzie were a good price and help me pass time checking out other stuff will hunting , I hunt mainly flat woods and swamps , and enjoy the birds ,bobcats and other critters , they helped me stay in contact calling in a sika too once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your budget? Will they be only for saddle/thick timber hunting?

If you want the best your options are all Euro- Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica. Amazing glass but they ain't cheap. My "out west" binos are Swaro 12X50 ELs

If you want good to really good there's a ton of options for different price ranges. Vortex is decent, my thick timber binos are Vortex Viper 10x42. Leupold makes good glass as does Maven. I have heard good stuff about Nikon's upper tier binos but never used them.

Hey man I’m also in western KY. I know we have a good mix of open and thick around here.
For thick timber and thickets I use my Steiner 8x that are infinite focus. I like that I don’t have to adjust the focus at all no matter the distance. I just pull em up and the clarity is great.
For Ag land and open fields I have some Vortex 12x that I use. Hard to beat the price and performance of a vortex.

Back