• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Blackbeard Island, Ga

gadrenalin

Anybody ever hunted Blackbeard Island in Georgia? There is a hunt there November 29-Dec1 and looking for any information I can get.

I bought a trophy line saddle from here 2 weeks ago and killed my 1st deer from a saddle On the first day of the hunt.
If you like primitive camping on a National Wildlife Refuges, this is a great hunt!

Congratulations! Was it a hunt that you needed to be drawn for?

No it is a sign in, just have to have a valid Georgia license and a $35.00 National Wildlife Refuge Permit(I think there are 4 or so you can hunt on).

Glad you had a good time. Never hunted Blackbeard island. At one time you had to have your own transportation to the island. Is that still the case? I’ve hunted Cumberland a couple times.

they have several charters out of Shellman Bluff. We took our own boat out of Harris Neck. We are talking about trying to get over to Cumberland next year as well.

I’m game. I don’t have a boat big enough to make that trip. Cumberland is about the same hunt but they have showers and ice machine. They also have a ferry. I’m good either way.

Blackbeard does have hot showers and a walk-in cooler for the deer and hogs just no ice machine or public ferry, had some buddies use private charter and I believe he said it was $150

Blackbeard does have hot showers and a walk-in cooler for the deer and hogs just no ice machine or public ferry, had some buddies use private charter and I believe he said it was $150
Thanks. I haven’t talked to anyone that’s hunted their in a long time. I actually spent about half my life living in and around Valdosta. There used to be a decent sized group from Valdosta that went that way every year.

I'm 100% in. Do those island deer follow the mid-October rut like their coastal GA swampland cousins?

Yea there are 8-10 that travel over 1/2 normally do the October rut (hot weather) hunt and I have always wanted to at least try to get the December one in but work has gotten in the way. I like the cooler weather.
Small world I am from Jacksonville Fl, but moved to Valdosta in 2001.
I want to try to come over there for that paloosa hog hunt.

Always wanted to do the Blackbearde Hunt but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.I have gone To St.Vincent’s Island a couple of times and it was really fun and a different experience.Shot a good sized boar on the beach which was something I will never forget.

@g2outdoors do you want to do the October or December hunt? One is a rut hunt but is just hotter with more bugs and snakes. They both seem to be pretty successful hunts. Just not big deer.

That sounds good to me. By then I will have pressured my local spots pretty good and it will be nice to hunt some deer that have had zero pressure for six weeks.

Ok. Let's mark it down. I'm pumped. I don't have a boat, we'll just have to find a ferry service. Or I can rent us a boat pretty cheaply. Probably $300 for the weekend.

I’ll try to get some more pricing. The only price I’ve found was 400 for up to six people. Not terrible split six ways but not great split two. Not sure what really happens but they say you have to stream anchor or beach anchor when you use a private boat.

Back