• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Blizzard Hunting

Bloodhound

Western NY is getting 3-6 feet of snow for our gun opener on Saturday. Winds expecting 15-20 mph. Anyone have any experience hunting with that much snow coming down? What do you it's going to do for the deer activity?

Western NY is getting 3-6 feet of snow for our gun opener on Saturday. Winds expecting 15-20 mph. Anyone have any experience hunting with that much snow coming down? What do you it's going to do for the deer activity?
Its been snowing here in Duluth for the last 3 days and the deer are moving alot. So many fresh tracks each day. I think because its the first big snow they're panicking for food. They'll settle down once everyone starts feeding them in their backyards.

I have hunted in Pa during blizzards. Hunt near cover and wait for any breaks or for it to slow down.

More pics as the front was coming in. I’m right on Lake Erie. 39B9389E-8452-407D-BB97-5F7EAC8E5DE7.jpeg

Attachments

• ECF53847-53CA-41D3-8EAB-22B468934C47.jpeg
    ECF53847-53CA-41D3-8EAB-22B468934C47.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 34
  • C693FEAC-9890-49EB-94CA-3463B89B65DD.jpeg
    C693FEAC-9890-49EB-94CA-3463B89B65DD.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 34
Find spots out of the wind where they still feel safe and are adjacent to cover. The deer are slaves to their rumins so they must keep them filled and that means food and browse and finding places where they can move in cover and still be able to feed every five hours.

How are you getting in and out of the woods with 3' of fresh snow on the ground? And more importantly, if you get a deer, how are you getting a deer out? I'd say you need a snowmobile or snowshoes to even consider going out.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

How are you getting in and out of the woods with 3' of fresh snow on the ground? And more importantly, if you get a deer, how are you getting a deer out? I'd say you need a snowmobile or snowshoes to even consider going out.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
We're not getting it like was forecasted so far but there are times of snowfall as you can see in my pics posted above. If we get any additional accumulation I will certainly snowshoe into my spots if I have too. I'm probably not in the saddle tomorrow morning but who knows. My plan is if the wind is from the S, SW, or SE tomorrow I'll be on the north side of main ridge in a 10-year-old planted Norway spruce thicket overlooking an inside corner. If the wind is from the North, NW or NE than I'll be down over the east-west running main ridge facing the south watching for lateral movement on the leeward side of the main ridge. IF the wndi is strong direct W I'll be hunting the Eastern edge of the property and vice- versa if its from the East. We still have standing corn.

We're not getting it like was forecasted so far but there are times of snowfall as you can see in my pics posted above. If we get any additional accumulation I will certainly snowshoe into my spots if I have too. I'm probably not in the saddle tomorrow morning but who knows. My plan is if the wind is from the S, SW, or SE tomorrow I'll be on the north side of main ridge in a 10-year-old planted Norway spruce thicket overlooking an inside corner. If the wind is from the North, NW or NE than I'll be down over the east-west running main ridge facing the south watching for lateral movement on the leeward side of the main ridge. IF the wndi is strong direct W I'll be hunting the Eastern edge of the property and vice- versa if its from the East. We still have standing corn.
I remember the one day we got 2" an hour while i was in the stand (I am southeast of Erie PA in the snow belt). I ended up shooting a doe and to get it out, I just followed the trail they had made and it got me most of the way out. They tend to float on top of the snow. You walking on the other hand is a whole different situation.

Back