• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Blue Collar Bino's?

HuntNorthEast

Jul 24, 2020
Southern Maine
YOUTUBE
HuntNorthEast
Looking for some input here and it may be tough.

I'm looking into getting a set of bino's for all around use. I'm talking 30yds to 300yds. I know you get what you pay for when it comes to glass but there has to be a middle man somewhere. I need a set that can still be clear in the 300 yard range (or more) but won't break the bank. I don't want to spend the same on a set of bino's that I would on a rifle. If I had to put a number on it I would say under $200... I know that isn't a lot of money for glass but I will mostly be overlooking swamps or pole lines within a reasonable shot distance.

Thanks in advance!
HuntNorthEast1.png

Patriot38

Sep 24, 2018
Victoria MN
I would highly recommend anything from Vortex. They come with a lifetime guarantee and have options that will fit your budget. THP (the hunting public on youtube) have a promo code that you can use to save 10-20%. I can't remember what it is but if you do a little digging it should be easy to find.

HuntNorthEast

Jul 24, 2020
Southern Maine
YOUTUBE
HuntNorthEast
I would highly recommend anything from Vortex. They come with a lifetime guarantee and have options that will fit your budget. THP (the hunting public on youtube) have a promo code that you can use to save 10-20%. I can't remember what it is but if you do a little digging it should be easy to find.
I have a gov account and get discounts on a bunch of vendors. Any personal experience with budget models? I know they are good but I am looking for first hand experience with model numbers. Thank you!

rhagenw

SH Member
May 4, 2020
I have vortex 8x32 that I love and recommend but the leupold McKenzie 10x42 I have for a hundredish more is well worth it if you don’t mind the added cost, bulk and magnification

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA

Reactions: DroptineKrazy

Oakridge

Aug 10, 2018
I have the vortex 10x32’s and like them a lot. Seems about perfect here in NH for the woods I’m usually hunting.

Reactions: HuntNorthEast

JBDaddy

Jan 21, 2018
Lenawee, MI
Vortex has a warranty worth considering, but on cheap binos, meh. Vortex also has the hunting market pretty well cornered. If you're after best glass, look at birding forums or star-gazing forums, because binos are central to what they do, and it's just one of many things here - so we tend to get fixated on vortex because of hunting shows, warranty brags, etc.

I've compared Vortex to Nikon and a discontinued line from Bushnell and actually thought the low-end vortex were the worst. Dimmest, most distortion around the edges, highest price at that level. They could still be good binos, my eyes are different from yours, etc.

Here's where I'd start today: https://www.audubon.org/gear/binocular-guide it has tiers based on price so you can decide what you want to spend, then compare the options at that level.

SETXsportsman6

Sep 10, 2019
South East Texas
I have a gov account and get discounts on a bunch of vendors. Any personal experience with budget models? I know they are good but I am looking for first hand experience with model numbers. Thank you!
I haven't tried to use them out to 300, nor am I a glass snob like some folks are, but the $150 vortex crossfires impressed the hell out of me and everyone else that I've let look through them. I think I got mine from scheels and if was a combo set with the chest pouch for $150

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
Try a bunch out and see what you like. Also, at the lower price range, you should look at porro prisms first. They do not look as sleek, but it is easier to align/build the prisms in that configuration so at lower prices they will have a better image. Roof prisms (cool looking straight walls) have advantages but they emerge at a higher price tag and can be less clear at lower prices.

For the money, I have found that Pentax binoculars are excellent. I hardly carry them though and instead carry a cheap Vortex monocular that I can slip in a front pocket (don't do much glassing).

rhagenw

SH Member
May 4, 2020
Don’t get Nikon worse customer service in the business...don’t ask I’m still sour over that

• Haha

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
Think of how long you will have bino's. I have a few pairs. If you just want to see something magnified, anything works. However if you want your eyes to be blown away, Maven optics is the one. They have various levels to fit different budgets. They offer a trial period, if you dont like them send them back. They only sell direct to customer, no chain store crap.

TNbowhunter

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Middle Tennessee
My dad bought a pair of Vortex binos, and they stink compared to the Leupold's he bought for my brother and me as gifts (two different models). I'd recommend buying the best Leupold binos in your budget--they really are fantastic. I've been impressed with Nikon Monarchs, too. Remember that the Vortex lifetime warranty is built into your purchase price, too.

BackSpasm

SH Member
Apr 10, 2019
Tennessee
I have a pair of swarovski's I use for dedicated out west trip and observation sits. For knocking around the whitetail woods and hunting from the ground, I carry a pair of Bushnell Trophy XLT 10x42s. I beat the CRAP out of them by crawling around, keeping them on my chest 12 hours at a time etc, guilt free. They are compact for what they are and I have bought two more pairs as gifts.

smshuntr

Jul 1, 2019
South MS
if you get a discount on Leopold the BX-2 would be the direction i take. If i were trying to stay under $200 without a discount i would go with Nikon Monarch found new on ebay all day for around $200. I own both and the only reason i would go with the BX2 over the Monarch is the durrabilty and customer service claims i see bad reports on them. Ive personally never had any issues but why chance it. The variations in the glass IMO is nonexistent.

My personal experience with the Vortex Crossfire is they are very poor clarity at low light when compared to the the Leo/Monarchs. Ive never looked into the upper level Vortex glass so cannot say how they are. Nor can I compare to the newer lineup of entry level vortex. I only assume the new ones are the same as the Crossfires but i dont know. Vortex is the new household name in optics so youll get tons of Vortex comments.

Reactions: TNbowhunter