• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bolt Climb Video

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So heres something to show you guys how climbing with the carbon fiber bolts stacks up compared to other methods. Not Pixar quality, but it is what it is.

This shows the whole process from walking up to the base of the tree to setting my gear hook. If I don't wear my saddle in, add a minute to unpack it and slip it on.

I make a few mistakes, like drilling the first hole before I've got my stuff unpacked, trying to hook my ameristeps up while my linemans is still in the way, and setting my tether twice (limbs in the way.) I think I made pretty good time all things considered.

You'll notice the bolt holder and saddle gear loops doing their thing quite well. I've got a few things to tinker with still, but I feel I'm 99% there.

7 bolts plus stepping up to my ROS gets me about 16ft on this climb. Not an uncommon height for me during early season hog hunts. I've got enough bolts to hit 30ft if I want.

I'd say I'm about 1 minute per bolt I have to set, plus 5 minutes for setup. This obviously is a best case time. Limbs complicate things, as do leaners.

Feel free to ask any questions.

After watching the video I would have to ask: Is the weight saving from bolts to say WE steps, sticks, etc worth having to do this much work and take this time? Not that its hard physical labor, but having to hand drill each hole, thats a lot of extra work compared to a lot of other methods. Not to mention the speed of some of these, like the cam cleets on Muddy Pro's, or using the Lone Wolf seat climber, or the WE steps.

Not trying to be a smart A, Just would like to get you thought process on going to this method. Personally, I would carry a few extra pounds for how ever many miles, to not have to hand drill each hole every time I go up a tree.

After watching the video I would have to ask: Is the weight saving from bolts to say WE steps, sticks, etc worth having to do this much work and take this time? Not that its hard physical labor, but having to hand drill each hole, thats a lot of extra work compared to a lot of other methods. Not to mention the speed of some of these, like the cam cleets on Muddy Pro's, or using the Lone Wolf seat climber, or the WE steps.

Not trying to be a smart A, Just would like to get you thought process on going to this method. Personally, I would carry a few extra pounds for how ever many miles, to not have to hand drill each hole every time I go up a tree.
It's not necessarily the weight to me, its the bulk, but... the weight savings is HUGE. I literally can carry my entire climbing method for up to 30' and my platform in a cargo pocket on my pants. STicks get stuck on brush, clang, have ropes everywhere, have to strap them somewhere when climbing. Honestly I hate packing up my sticks at the end of a hunt when my hands are cold and I just want to go home.. They always end up being strapped to my pack like a yard sale. I also like being able to space my steps out to my body and they tree--much more versatile. STepps are nice, but finicky sometimes and again, in cold weather lots of ropes to deal with when breaking down. I also only have to drill each tree once. next time I go out and hunt, I put my 5 screw in steps in for a platforom and I'm hunting....

@SH4896, watch Boswell's video with him using sticks. Even on a 30ft climb, I'm not that far behind most guys' setup time. Yes, it's slower, but not by much.

For where and how I hunt, it's absolutely worth it. I can carry my whole rig, never even use it (stalk hogs the whole time, for example) and not be put out. No terrain is too thick, and no walk in is too far.

I don't consider it an undue amount of work. The tree I'm drilling is a tough hickory, and it's still a piece of cake. Poplars, bays, maples, etc are all even easier and quicker.

Also, once a tree is drilled, it's good for the season. Then it becomes bar-none the fastest way up a tree.

It's definitely not for everybody. And I still have spurs and stepps. But I don't know that I'll ever set a stick again.

@SH4896, watch Boswell's video with him using sticks. Even on a 30ft climb, I'm not that far behind most guys' setup time. Yes, it's slower, but not by much.

For where and how I hunt, it's absolutely worth it. I can carry my whole rig, never even use it (stalk hogs the whole time, for example) and not be put out. No terrain is too thick, and no walk in is too far.

I don't consider it an undue amount of work. The tree I'm drilling is a tough hickory, and it's still a piece of cake. Poplars, bays, maples, etc are all even easier and quicker.

Also, once a tree is drilled, it's good for the season. Then it becomes bar-none the fastest way up a tree.

It's definitely not for everybody. And I still have spurs and stepps. But I don't know that I'll ever set a stick again.

Interesting and great to get both your opinions. You guys brought up really good points about some of the hassles of sticks and steps that I didnt even think of, guess ive just gotten used to it and dont think how it IS truly a pain when you just want to get home.

Also, and I think the biggest PLUS, is like you said that once the tree is drilled, its good for the whole season. That would make it super fast. Was actually thinking about going this route for presets on private land. Thanks for the video, always was interested in what went into this process.

Interesting and great to get both your opinions. You guys brought up really good points about some of the hassles of sticks and steps that I didnt even think of, guess ive just gotten used to it and dont think how it IS truly a pain when you just want to get home.

Also, and I think the biggest PLUS, is like you said that once the tree is drilled, its good for the whole season. That would make it super fast. Was actually thinking about going this route for presets on private land. Thanks for the video, always was interested in what went into this process.
I have a molle pouch with my bolts, drill, and platform setup that I put on my sternum strap of my backpack when leaving the house/truck.I pull them out as I go up and just throw them in on the way down. so simple a streamlined.if I am hunting with a different pack, or no pack I can throw it in my cargo pockets, put it on my fanny pack waste belt, whatever.

Have you guys ever seen or heard of anyone doing this with a power drill? Or would it be too loud

Also, what hand drill are you using?

Ezkut or woodpecker drill. A lot of people do presets during the off season with a cordless drill. I unfortunately dont have time these days to get out preseason much.

@Vtbow, you're gonna talk me into them dang cranfords yet...

I like that you used the word " streamlined." To me, that's a big part of why I love this. It's bama-fan simple. Drill, insert, step, repeat. No knots to adjust, no fiddling with aiders, no worrying about gaffing out, and no futzing about packing/unpacking sticks.

Have you guys ever seen or heard of anyone doing this with a power drill? Or would it be too loud

Also, what hand drill are you using?
Mines an EZ Kut. I've got an 18v Hitachi that will drill a hole in 13 seconds vs my average of about 30. It's noisy and 4.5lbs though, so I've never used it outside of testing it in my yard.

Funny I've been thinking about that a lot....my sticks are probably going up for sale soon... Don't know if I can part with my minis though...
If you decide to part with your mini's I want first dibs.... :)

Im new to to this method but I’ll chime in anyway. Ive used LW and muddy sticks for years so I can compare the two systems. I can definitely get to 20 ft faster with a set of sticks than with bolts. It’s also less work. The downside is IMO it sucks carryng them in. Vbolts made a great point about packing up after a hunt with sticks. That sucks too. Again just my opinion. I have a good system and it’s still just another thing to do in the dark when I want to be walking out.
The bolts on the other hand sit in a pouch on my sternum strap. It’s all right there and compact. Neat going up, neat coming down. Less weigh, less bulk, more mobile. The fact that my whole climbing method fits in my palm is just bad ass. Time will tell if I stick with it but I can’t see going back to lugging around sticks.
I will say this. One of my buddies loved the idea and bought the drill and bolts right away. He hunts very similar to me. I have another buddy that is intrigued but will wait to see how I like the system after using it for the season. Then my other buddy just thinks I’m out of my mind. He uses a climber 75% of the time. At the end of the day I think we all find a system that feels right. Some are easier, some lighter, some faster. When you get your system all dialed in it’s a thing of beauty. Bolts aren’t for everyone but they are IMO the best way to climb a tree if you are trying to be as mobile as possible.

Last edited:
I think that the one distinct advantage of bolts is that once you have it drilled it's done for the year and going up the tree is going to be much faster. Pre season drilling puts another advantage in your court as well. Great video and good luck this year!

Reactions: WHW
@Vtbow, you're gonna talk me into them dang cranfords yet...

I like that you used the word " streamlined." To me, that's a big part of why I love this. It's bama-fan simple. Drill, insert, step, repeat. No knots to adjust, no fiddling with aiders, no worrying about gaffing out, and no futzing about packing/unpacking sticks.
Cranford rope steps are a good option as well.

How are the bolts from a safety perspective, meaning when it gets wet or icey, do they get dangerous on the way down?

Not many guys I've watched work with the WE steps are any faster than NutterButter was here.

Funny I've been thinking about that a lot....my sticks are probably going up for sale soon... Don't know if I can part with my minis though...
I keep my sticks ready for Public land hunts

Back