• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bolts in Poplar Trees

Drew A

Has anyone had experience using bolts in poplar trees? I just tried drilling one of my poplar trees and noticed that the holes elongate after I stand on a bolt. Not sure if this is safe. I am drilling in 2.25 inches with a 3/8 arbor drill and using grade 8 bolts. The bolts are holding up fine but I am concerned about the holes. I weigh 220 lbs.

Might be you drill bit. I think the treehopper drill is 10mm. I've never had a hole elongate on me after stepping on the bolt.

What are you looking to accomplish asking the question here?

Holes drilled in trees with less dense or softer wood, or trees with thicker sap wood (generally less dense and softer than heart wood) will not hold up as well to the forces imparted by a bolt with you standing on it. This is relative to harder woods. And must take into account bolt surface area, your weight, etc.

"safe" is not black and white.

Someone who weighs 150lbs, standing on the same bolt, inserted the same length, in a tree in a different part of the country, could have a wildly different outcome than you.

If the hole elongates, and the bolt has the potential to be oriented beyond parallel to the ground, I think most folks would consider that "unsafe" in the context of tree climbing.

Question - would you drill a tree with a bolt at less than 90* to the ground and then climb on it? My guess is no. Why then, would you have to introduce the opinion of strangers into the equation of whether you'd climb on a bolt that is less than 90* in relation to the ground after the hole has been elongated? Does it matter how it got there?

Reactions: MJH
I just drill at a 10-15 degree downward angle in soft trees to account for that little bit of sag--that keeps my bolts from going south of perpendicular, so I'm not worried about them sliding out. I also try to use branches as hand- and footholds as much as possible. That said, I always climb with my linesman belt and/or tether attached, and I'm only about 165 lbs., so I feel comfortable with the risk of falling using the above-mentioned precautions. YMMV.

Thank you for all your opinions, I will play it safe and just use climbing sticks on poplar trees.

Back