• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bone in venison roasts

TheBlindCat

SH Member
I grew up with venison roasts being paired with pork or bacon to keep them from drying out. After seeing Meateater recipes for bone in front shoulder and shanks, I’ve changed my butchering and cooking. Rather than losing most of the front shoulder trying to cut out connective tissue for grinding meat, I keep them whole or split in half for large deer.

In the crock pot, with 6 hours on high turns a front blade roast into amazing shredded taco meat.

Tonight I used a cubed deboned rear roast, two front shanks. Varying from the recipe I used one finely chopped onion, four carrots, skipped the mushrooms, and used black and cannellini beans. 6 hours in the slow cooker on high, removed and deboned the shanks and tossed in the cannellini beans at 5 hours. Paired with corn & beans from the garden and beer bread turned out great.

IMG_2132.jpeg

I grew up with venison roasts being paired with pork or bacon to keep them from drying out. After seeing Meateater recipes for bone in front shoulder and shanks, I’ve changed my butchering and cooking. Rather than losing most of the front shoulder trying to cut out connective tissue for grinding meat, I keep them whole or split in half for large deer.

In the crock pot, with 6 hours on high turns a front blade roast into amazing shredded taco meat.

Tonight I used a cubed deboned rear roast, two front shanks. Varying from the recipe I used one finely chopped onion, four carrots, skipped the mushrooms, and used black and cannellini beans. 6 hours in the slow cooker on high, removed and deboned the shanks and tossed in the cannellini beans at 5 hours. Paired with corn & beans from the garden and beer bread turned out great.

View attachment 90222
I was so frustrated with the amount of meat I was losing when carving up the front shoulder, I hat to waste any good meat. Three years ago, I saw or read about barbecue deer shoulders. I pretty much cook the whole shoulder in a crock pot for 6 to 8 hours... ingredients vary ever time just because I like to try different things when cooking. Once done, separate all the meat from the grizzle and chop it up or throw it in a processor for just a second or two. Place the meat back in the crock pot and add your favorite barbecue sauce for an hour on low. You will be amazed how good of a barbecue this turns out to be. My family love these as sliders or just as a barbecue plate.
The best thing is you can vacuum seal and freeze it. I take a pack or two on my hunting trips and warm it up over the camp fire after a day in the woods. It is my go to for shoulders.

I agree. Shoulders and necks are tied for second (after shanks) of my favorite venison cuts. Braised with onions, peppers, maybe root veggies, etc., you get either taco meat or pot roast. Can't beat it. Only downside is the bones taking up extra room in the freezer, but these packages usually get used up well before springtime.

Back