• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Boots under $200

RMcDonald7

SH Member
Recommendations on quality insulated boots (400-800g). I'm looking for some new hunting boots for early/mid season in the saddle. Comfortable boots to hike in. Looking at making a trip out west next year to hunt elk.
Wants: Waterproof, insulated, lightweight, tie up's (not rubber slip on).
Possible brands- Danner, Irish setter, Lacrosse, Any other brand unknown. (not very knowledgeable on boots lol)

If you can post what boot, pics, prices, and where to buy.
Thanks!

I can tell you I haven't had a good experience with Irish Setter Elk hunters... they're comfortable and warm but I like a tight boot and the leather stretches to a point and my foot now moves around a lot... think I'll switch to synthetics as I've not had good luck with leather.

I can tell you I haven't had a good experience with Irish Setter Elk hunters... they're comfortable and warm but I like a tight boot and the leather stretches to a point and my foot now moves around a lot... think I'll switch to synthetics as I've not had good luck with leather.
good to know, I liked the looks of those too. lol

RedHead Expedition Ultra Bone Dry. Best boots ive owned. alot of redhead boots are junk but i love these. Still perfect waterproofing even if standing in a stream up to the top of em 3 years later. super comfortable with barely any break-in period and durable (the camo part gets fuzzy and faded but i dont care about that).
$109

Big fan of the Hoka Stinson GTX boot. Not insulated but I’ve never had an issue hunting even down into the 20’s while wearing merino socks.

insanly cushioned and comfortable for long hikes. Great for saddle hunting on a platform. I wore them on my elk hunt last year and they held up great. 60+ miles in pretty steep and rugged terrain.

I’ve had mine over two years and they’re still waterproof and comfortable.

Going on year 5 now with Irish Setter VaporTrek. Only used in Midwest, but have held up great. 400gram, water proof, and light
Thought about going this route as well... they look like they wear like sneakers and I do hills but just the drift less in MN... no super rocky terrain like out west... alternatively, I'm also considering just getting some Merrells as they're quality hiking boots... then just wearing my boggs for late season which I typically end up doing anyway.

Thought about going this route as well... they look like they wear like sneakers and I do hills but just the drift less in MN... no super rocky terrain like out west... alternatively, I'm also considering just getting some Merrells as they're quality hiking boots... then just wearing my boggs for late season which I typically end up doing anyway.

My thoughts are getting a 400g boot to wear early/mid season (like the wear like sneaker look) Lightweight and as it gets colder i've got the artic shield boot covers. And 1600g rocky rubber boots for late season.
I'm scrolling through Guidefitter right now... lol

Big fan of the Hoka Stinson GTX boot. Not insulated but I’ve never had an issue hunting even down into the 20’s while wearing merino socks.

insanly cushioned and comfortable for long hikes. Great for saddle hunting on a platform. I wore them on my elk hunt last year and they held up great. 60+ miles in pretty steep and rugged terrain.

I’ve had mine over two years and they’re still waterproof and comfortable.

I would have never thought to consider Hokas, but these things have piqued my interest at the pricepoint and your review, especially for the cushion in the saddle. Do they offer decent ankle support and grip? The treads don't look very aggressive. Last question(s), is the sole/heel really that thick? And does that throw you off at all on uneven terrain. In my hunting adventures I'm generally about 50% in on a trail with a shallow creek crossing and then 50% off trail with a significant portion being straight up or sidehilling leafy, downfall laden hillsides. Traction and support on the hillsides are my biggest concern.

I'm 60% sold on these, can you convince me to pull the trigger?

Recommendations on quality insulated boots (400-800g). I'm looking for some new hunting boots for early/mid season in the saddle. Comfortable boots to hike in. Looking at making a trip out west next year to hunt elk.
Possible brands- Danner, Irish setter, Lacrosse, Any other brand unknown. (not very knowledgeable on boots lol)

Thanks!

I have a pair of Danner Alsea's with 400 grams of primaloft and goretex and found them on sale for under 200. The cheaper Danners are all around that price point and are decent but probably won't last like the more expensive ones.

This is a great boot for the money and went on sale every summer, but it seems they quit making it.

But there are now new boots in the lineup. I'm guessing they changed the names and appearance of the Tracker. I was tempted to call Bass Pro/Cabelas and ask them what boot is most like the Tracker. This boot was super popular and kind of a classic among budget friendly hunting boots. Should've never changed it.

I would have never thought to consider Hokas, but these things have piqued my interest at the pricepoint and your review, especially for the cushion in the saddle. Do they offer decent ankle support and grip? The treads don't look very aggressive. Last question(s), is the sole/heel really that thick? And does that throw you off at all on uneven terrain. In my hunting adventures I'm generally about 50% in on a trail with a shallow creek crossing and then 50% off trail with a significant portion being straight up or sidehilling leafy, downfall laden hillsides. Traction and support on the hillsides are my biggest concern.

I'm 60% sold on these, can you convince me to pull the trigger?

I’ll try to answer as best I can!

Ankle support is maybe slightly less than decent honestly. But if you cinch them down then they’re fine. I had no issue sidehilling in Utah and have never rolled my ankle in them.a lot do the public I hunt is exactly as you have described. I do a lot of trail running in general so I’m sure that helps me some in that regard where others may have issues.
The grip isn’t aggressive but I think the plush-ness of it makes up for it. I feel like it conforms to the ground well and gives you traction that way as opposed to digging into the ground. When side hilling you can’t dig the sole into the ground like a fbut but I’ve had no issues slipping.
No issues slipping in snow or rain but they aren’t great in straight mud. Being so soft the sole has frayed and worn some on my pair but they’ve got another season or two left in them.

and yes the sole is that thick lol when you first wear them it will feel pretty weird but you’ll get used to them.

Some online retailers will let you return if you try them on and don’t like them. Or if you’re a size 9 I’ll buy them off you for a discounted rate lol

Ankle support is maybe slightly less than decent honestly. But if you cinch them down then they’re fine. I had no issue sidehilling in Utah and have never rolled my ankle in them.a lot do the public I hunt is exactly as you have described. I do a lot of trail running in general so I’m sure that helps me some in that regard where others may have issues.
The grip isn’t aggressive but I think the plush-ness of it makes up for it. I feel like it conforms to the ground well and gives you traction that way as opposed to digging into the ground. When side hilling you can’t dig the sole into the ground like a fbut but I’ve had no issues slipping.
No issues slipping in snow or rain but they aren’t great in straight mud. Being so soft the sole has frayed and worn some on my pair but they’ve got another season or two left in them.

and yes the sole is that thick lol when you first wear them it will feel pretty weird but you’ll get used to them.

Some online retailers will let you return if you try them on and don’t like them. Or if you’re a size 9 I’ll buy them off you for a discounted rate lol

I've found in mud, at least a small heel on the boot provides a straight shelf to grab mud. I relegated a pair of boots to backup and bought a new pair after stepping on mud and sliding out with zero warning.

I've found in mud, at least a small heel on the boot provides a straight shelf to grab mud. I relegated a pair of boots to backup and bought a new pair after stepping on mud and sliding out with zero warning.
Are you saying in general? Or specifically on the Hoka?

Thanks!
Not sure if you are going archery or rifle or where out west but the 2 things you should spend money on first for mountain elk hunting is a good pack that fits you and good boots that fit you. I have hunted elk in uninsulated vapor treks and they got me by with a healthy dose of tape for hotspots. Then I got a pair of boots better designed for that type of hunting and it makes a huge difference. Not only will your feet and ankles thank you but your legs and back will too from the reduction in general stress and fatigue your body feels. There are areas that the 3 brands you mentioned will work just fine but if you are going to be in serious mountains, get some serious boots.

Are you saying in general? Or specifically on the Hoka?

I'm saying if you don't have aggressive tread and no heel....then if you step on a bit of leaves on top of soft soil/mud on a hill....you're gonna be skiing real fast. That's for Hoka or any shoe because I don't see a way around it.

These were some Danner Mountain 600s that were too slick without a heel...unless i was walking flat land or very dry. I slipped hard twice before I went and got some Lowas.

Thanks, I've been looking pretty hard at the Hokas now and I think the Kaha II GTX's might be the ticket. REI has them in stock with a few other options. I think I'm just going to have to go try them all on. Thanks for pointing out the Hokas though. They're so weird I would have never considered them but liking the idea now.

Thanks, I've been looking pretty hard at the Hokas now and I think the Kaha II GTX's might be the ticket. REI has them in stock with a few other options. I think I'm just going to have to go try them all on. Thanks for pointing out the Hokas though. They're so weird I would have never considered them but liking the idea now.
Yea I’m surprised that there’s not more folks on here who wear them. I started wearing Hokas a few years ago for running but have since switched to Altra. Unfortunately Altra boots are not as durable as Hoka.

let us know how you like them! I’m tempted to grab a different pair as well

interesting. I wasn't aware Hoka made boots. I wear their shoes for running.

Definitely going to try to find some locally or order a pair for the 30 day test flight. Only issue is it is going to have to wait until next year for purchase because I've already blown my annual hunting budget for this year.

Yea I’m surprised that there’s not more folks on here who wear them. I started wearing Hokas a few years ago for running but have since switched to Altra. Unfortunately Altra boots are not as durable as Hoka.

let us know how you like them! I’m tempted to grab a different pair as well

i had high hopes for the low top altra waterproof trail runners for early season....well the eVent waterproofing is on the outside of the shoe and the first stick i stepped on kinda hard and sideways punctured one and it can't be sealed the rip is so bad...so that one leaks like a sieve.....expensive shoes too

what i was doing when i ripped it was so mundane, that there is zero chance i could wear them more than 10 times off-trail and not have them shredded

if they made a more durable version i'd buy again because of how light and comfortable they are

Back