• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bored at Work...

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So as I continue to work through my game plan for spurs, I've been looking at a tree-squeeze for a little extra insurance in the event of a mishap. Had some down time at work and came up with an interesting idea.

Has anybody used their fixed bridge as a component in a tree-squeeze type contraption? Any reason why that wouldn't work? Would it be better to do a whoopie-style bridge for adjustability? It just seems like it's already sitting there in front of you, why not attach your tree rope to it via some biners and up you go?

So as I continue to work through my game plan for spurs, I've been looking at a tree-squeeze for a little extra insurance in the event of a mishap. Had some down time at work and came up with an interesting idea.

Has anybody used their fixed bridge as a component in a tree-squeeze type contraption? Any reason why that wouldn't work? Would it be better to do a whoopie-style bridge for adjustability? It just seems like it's already sitting there in front of you, why not attach your tree rope to it via some biners and up you go?

That’s exactly what I used to do when I used climber stands in its own way; had my vest on and my tree line tied to the tree as I would once I was “up” and then pushed it up as I went up. I think using the fixed bridge the same way makes sense as double insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand, but I've been using a poor man's tree squeeze that consists of one screw link and some accessory cord and a blake's hitch. I've been thinking about a pulley or similar device to help tend it, but it works very well, I have some spurs that are 100 years old and they work but are pretty heavy and don't have the best gaffs. My first time using them was on a hunt, and I had several slips, I've been using the tree squeeze ever since, I got some good spur climbing instruction at Saddlepalooza and it seemed to help, I also don't use them often as everywhere I hunt I can't use spurs. I'll take a photo of my tree squeeze, it's really simple and it works, I got to test it when I did climb with my spurs, lol.

I've been working on this too and have some very similar ideas, but on hiatus right now as I await new straps for my spurs. I don't feel a lineman's alone is safe 20 feet up in smaller diameter trees especially, so I need to cook something up before the season.

you wrap your lineman belt around the tree coming in front of the tree first. When you come around the back side of the tree and clip into your opposite lineman loop, it makes an "X" in front of you. @flinginairos was the first to come up with the idea here so I dubbed it the "FlinginX".

Make sense?

What, pray tell, is a FlinginX?

It's crossing your linesman's belt so the right hand caribiner attaches to the left side linesman's loop and the left had caribiner attaches to the right hand linesman's loop.

They're really expensive, right? Why not try the FlinginX?

I think what @Nutterbuster is talking about is simply attaching the caribiners from your linesman's belt to your bridge so that it acts like a tree squeeze. I have never used one but looking at the pictures of the tree squeeze it seems like it would work the same.

It's crossing your linesman's belt so the right hand caribiner attaches to the left side linesman's loop and the left had caribiner attaches to the right hand linesman's loop.

I think what @Nutterbuster is talking about is simply attaching the caribiners from your linesman's belt to your bridge so that it acts like a tree squeeze. I have never used one but looking at the pictures of the tree squeeze it seems like it would work the same.
Exactly this!

@g2outdoors, that's too easy. I'll have to give it a shot. Anything that keeps me from shooting 30ft down a poplar tree works for me.

Exactly this!

@g2outdoors, that's too easy. I'll have to give it a shot. Anything that keeps me from shooting 30ft down a poplar tree works for me.

It will work however, Both the bridge and linesman’s belt need to be adjustable so you can keep it fairly snug around the tree.

I bought a stiffer linesman lanyard to work better with using the tree squeeze. The stiffness moreso the tree squeeze aids in climbing. You don’t have to worry about it flopping down the backside of the tree if you take pressure off. Always keeping it in a positive or safe position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have considered it for the coming season, and even drew the following:

11f38d7d3a7df0db0ba8775ae1eb3d62.png

The issue that came up, is that with a fixed bridge, like in the drawing, you end up being a fixed distance from the tree. There would be some adjustability through the lineman’s belt, but very limited.

An adjustable bridge would work better, but add more weight and components.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have considered it for the coming season, and even drew the following:

11f38d7d3a7df0db0ba8775ae1eb3d62.png

The issue that came up, is that with a fixed bridge, like in the drawing, you end up being a fixed distance from the tree. There would be some adjustability through the lineman’s belt, but very limited.

An adjustable bridge would work better, but add more weight and components.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Awesome sketch. That's exactly what I had in mind. I'm thinking you shouldn't need any adjusting of the bridge while climbing. If you had a whoopie bridge and could set it once at the base of the tree, I think the lineman's belt could handle the adjustments due to changing tree diameter.

Maybe?

FlinglinX just got added into my memory bank.
Such good stuff on SaddleHunter.com

You guys (& gals) really do rock... no wait, trees... you really do trees! :D

Man I really need to take some pictures of my poor man tree squeeze, it might not be as simple as the FilinginX but it's a lineman belt when you want and a tree squeeze when you want. It also will catch you immediately, trust me I know! I'm not very good at spur climbing.

I'll get a picture in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not the best picture but you can see its just a lineman belt with accessory cord tied with a blakes hitch on one side, the other side should be a quick link, in using a carabiner to demo. I'm probably going add something to tend the Blake's hitch.
f8f8fb4de40a4a79ee6443787d61c958.jpg

So you you are using your bridge to wrap around the back side of the tree?

So you you are using your bridge to wrap around the back side of the tree?

No it's just a normal lineman belt wrapped around the tree with the accessory cord in front with the hitch and biner. Hope that makes sense.

Ok; so Your hitch it tied too the carabiner which is against the knot blocking the carabiner. Gotcha. Have you tested that at ground level yet?

Back