• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Boswell’s New Flex Review

JCLINE84

Vendor Rep
Saw on Instagram that Boswell was blocked by AeroHunter because he did a negative review of the new flex and Merlin saddles. Basically he called out many things that I saw as an issue with the newer models as well. I get that companies need to sell new products to continue to grow but AeroHunter makes the highest quality saddles in my opinion. Seems odd to head in a direction and refuse input from someone that helped design many of their past saddles that were excellent products. Could be two sides to that story also. The flex design was an awesome innovation that I copied as well as other companies. It just got me to thinking about how sometimes the drive for innovation has a negative effect. Sometimes good enough is good enough until something truly groundbreaking comes along.

Saw on Instagram that Boswell was blocked by AeroHunter because he did a negative review of the new flex and Merlin saddles. Basically he called out many things that I saw as an issue with the newer models as well. I get that companies need to sell new products to continue to grow but AeroHunter makes the highest quality saddles in my opinion. Seems odd to head in a direction and refuse input from someone that helped design many of their past saddles that were excellent products. Could be two sides to that story also. The flex design was an awesome innovation that I copied as well as other companies. It just got me to thinking about how sometimes the drive for innovation has a negative effect. Sometimes good enough is good enough until something truly groundbreaking comes along.

Problem is their “marketing” guy is has a bad attitude towards life in general and doesn’t have the same views as the owners. He blocked me too even after all I did for him and the team and so many people I led there. All because I left.... it’s pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JCLINE84 - what is your opinion of the saddle if you have had an opportunity to try it, better or worse than the previous Flex?
I haven’t tried it. I’d build one like it before I bought one but I think everything Boswell said in his video is about spot on without having tried it myself. The Biggest negative to me would be the 1 inch suspension. I can’t see how that could be comfortable. I get uncomfortable sitting on 2 inch webbing after a long sit. The secondary loops don’t seem to serve any purpose at all. Other than a good place to sew a cool patch. They really had a good thing with the original flex. All the saddles I make now are modeled after it with some personal tweaks and extra attachment points for auto blocks and such. Once they started using two layers of fabric on the flex instead of one it was a damn good saddle.

Problem is their “marketing” guy is has a bad attitude towards life in general and doesn’t have the same views as the owners. He blocked me too even after all I did for him and the team and so many people I led there. All because I left.... it’s pathetic.

Boswell said pretty much the same thing in his Instagram post

That was a great review and caused me to cancel my Merlin order (couple weeks ago when I first saw the review) as everything the review said just made sense to me.

Don’t suppose Boswell is um bitter. “I had no input into the design”. He says in the video. I have not tried the new Aerohunter products, and I would rather listen to a review from a saddle hunter with no axe to grind. Maybe his criticism is valid but I would not trust it personally. Sophia and Debbie seem to be people of character IMO. I don’t know anyone else at Aerohunter so I cannot comment on new staff.
@JCLINE84 Or @denots I would be more inclined to listen to your comments than a former pro staffer. So if you guys have the same criticisms fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would definitely agree with his review. He does a very thorough job of explaining himself. I have the original Kestrel and as far as I can tell Aero Hunter is the only company going backwards in innovation. I've never used the flex so I can't speak to whether or not I would like it over the Kestrel or kite but to be honest it's never really piqued my interest. But now that I see the design changes I definitely won't be buying a flex. I wish they'd bring the OG Kestrel back with the heavy buckles and all. It's a shame to see a company that originally led the charge going the opposite direction they should be. Great customer service will only take you so far if you don't also produce a great product to go with it.

Don’t suppose Boswell is um bitter. “I had no input into the design”. He says in the video. I have not tried the new Aerohunter products, and I would rather listen to a review from a saddle hunter with no axe to grind. Maybe his criticism is valid but I would not trust it personally. Sophia and Debbie seem to be people of character IMO. I don’t know anyone else at Aerohunter so I cannot comment on new staff.
@JCLINE84 I would be more inclined to listen to your comments than a former pro staffer.

There may be some animosity there I don't know. I don't speak to Bobby on a personal level since he left the site. But regardless the design changes and the flaws in such changes he points out seem to have Merit. Everyone will have to make up their own mind but I personally think they're going in the wrong direction.

Of course he's bitter. But you can judge for yourself if his criticisms have merit. He's not just saying "this sucks" but pointing our specific areas he dislikes and why. I wouldn't rely on 1 review, but I'd not throw out boswells either.

This also isn't the first time their marketing guy's attitude has come up here (nor the first bridge boswell has burnt).

We been talking about It here. I left my review of the new flex. I found the new flex to be solid saddle and really comfortable. Some of the concerns boswell lays out aren’t really issues that I’ve experienced. I also think he glossed over some of the nice design features of this saddle.

It’d be nice if more people who have the saddle would give their opinion. People that have never sat in a Particular saddle can only speculate, even if their speculations seem to be no brainers.

And I’m not saying the Flex/Merlin are the best saddles that have ever been created, but they are not as bad as people keep speculating.

Last edited:
I know Bobby can be bitter, we’ve seen it on this forum, but he has valid points. When I watched his review, the first thing that came to mind with the 3rd set of loops was why? Gimmick? Just to be different? Think about all the creative minds on this site, and all the DIY guys from the grassroots of the Saddle Community. Are companies now just trying to stand out as different for marketing reasons, or are there truly benefits to their product?
My opinion is No! It happens with every type of product but sometimes the answer is Simple Is Better.

We been talking about It here. I left my review of the new flex. I found the new flex to be solid saddle and really comfortable. Some of the concerns boswell lays out aren’t really issues that I’ve experienced. I also think he glossed over some of the nice design features of this saddle.

It’d be nice if more people who have the saddle would give their opinion. People that have never sat in a Particular saddle can only speculate, even if their speculations seem to be no brainers.

And I’m not saying the Flex/Merlin are the best saddles that have ever been created, but they are not as bad as people keep speculating.
You’re right, I should probably sit in one before I decide it can’t be comfortable.

From this Mods opinion is thread is a review of a review! No reason to move, just keep it civil!
I didn’t mean to kick up a hornets nest lol. I’m interested to hear from people that actually have the saddle. Normally when a new one comes out it’s reviewed like crazy. Haven’t really seen anything about the new Aerohunter stuff

@JCLINE84 Or @denots I would be more inclined to listen to your comments than a former pro staffer. So if you guys have the same criticisms fine.

That is the other thought I had and why I mentioned in my first post that there are probably two sides to that story. Now I feel bad for stirring up a bashing thread lol. Didn’t mean to bash anyone. The folks at Aerohunter have always been really nice to me. I’m just curious about the direction they went with their new stuff

I didn’t mean to kick up a hornets nest lol. I’m interested to hear from people that actually have the saddle. Normally when a new one comes out it’s reviewed like crazy. Haven’t really seen anything about the new Aerohunter stuff

I received a Merlin as I used to be on staff and instead of being selfish and keeping it for myself I did a giveaway on Instagram
Boy did I get scolded for “not telling them I was going to give it away so they could send it to another member”
That was good PR for them. He shouldnt have blocked Boswell for the review

Back