• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bottom half of climber as steps

Joe Miller

I'm pretty new to the site so bear with me. I currently use a climber but am not happy with it because it's heavy, can be loud with the pins and cheap tree strap, and takes a while getting into the tree. I haven't taken the plunge into saddle hunting yet but I am trying out a new way (to me) to get up the tree that is similar to it. I ordered Samson Predator 11mm and Sterling 7mm for the tether and prusiks. Since I usually don't sit when I bow hunt I figured I would ditch the top half of my climber stand. I've tried just bear hugging the tree but that tears up the arms and chest and its kinda dangerous. I'll use the bottom half as the "steps" but since I cannot separate my feet I need to sit into my tether to pull my legs up. This seems faster than attaching each step as I go up the tree whether that be screw-in steps or strap-on ones. I know this isn't saddle hunting really, but figured I'd post anyway and get people's opinions.

Thanks

I've never used a prusik before but I imagined it being pretty easy to slide up/down when not in tension when I standing on the platform. Not that easy though?
Yeah, I was thinking about tying the platform to the front of my harness or something, but I'll figure that out.
As for a harness, I'll replace mine (doesn't have loops at the hips) with one similar to HSS ultralite. You don't think I can just sit into this type of harness to draw my legs up? The tether should keep my body forward and it might be a little uncomfortable for the few seconds each time I bring my legs up but I could just suck it up for that little bit.

No, after it tightens up with your full weight its that much harder to loosen. So it will slow you waaaay down, versus the ease of sliding an ascender up the rope.

Something like the HSS Ultralite may not be designed for this. You want something that you can sit in, with your full weight on it. Typical hunting harnesses are fall arrest devices. Meant to catch you, as opposed to holding you in place.

There are climb rated full body harnesses, if your into that, but a cheap rock climbing harness will do the trick as well.

I'm pretty new to the site so bear with me. I currently use a climber but am not happy with it because it's heavy, can be loud with the pins and cheap tree strap, and takes a while getting into the tree. I haven't taken the plunge into saddle hunting yet but I am trying out a new way (to me) to get up the tree that is similar to it. I ordered Samson Predator 11mm and Sterling 7mm for the tether and prusiks. Since I usually don't sit when I bow hunt I figured I would ditch the top half of my climber stand. I've tried just bear hugging the tree but that tears up the arms and chest and its kinda dangerous. I'll use the bottom half as the "steps" but since I cannot separate my feet I need to sit into my tether to pull my legs up. This seems faster than attaching each step as I go up the tree whether that be screw-in steps or strap-on ones. I know this isn't saddle hunting really, but figured I'd post anyway and get people's opinions.

Thanks
Search on the site for the lone wolf hand climber seat threads. That should get you going in a better direction.

I've hunted out of a climber for years. Mine is heavy and noisy when packing in, so I'd typically just leave it at the bottom of a tree for the season as a pre-set. It's one of the quickest ways to get up a tree for me.

I was thinking the same thing as you are. Hang from my tether, raise legs and platform, stand, raise and tighten tether, repeat. The problem is that when hanging by your tether, gravity pulls you (and your manhood) snug against the tree. From that position, it's almost impossible to lift your legs and platform. I was able to pull it off by locking my arms straight against the tree to keep my body away..... but it was not a lot of fun.
I'd say that it would work in a pinch, but I can't see using this method much if other options are available.

You might as well just go all the way and use the seat with a saddle. It is where you are headed.

I've been thinking of doing something similar. It's been floating around in my head that if I put some kind of grip on my tether I could use my hands to essentially do a pull up instead of inching up the tree supported by your saddle. I haven't tried it I have enough other crap going on. Naturally this requires some upper body strength.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for all the info/interest. Sounds like I joined the right group, who knows their stuff or at least cares a lot about these topics.
I literally just had my ropes and biners delivered so I'll test things out and let yuh know how it goes.

Good evening. I am a new member to SH. I hunt in West Kentucky and finding a tree to climb or hang a loc on next to a corn or bean field is impossible. However, I think using the saddle may be the ticket on getting and hunting in areas that have been impossible in the past. I listened to a podcast today and I think I am sold on the SH technology and a new way to hunt whitetail. However, I am mid 40's, 6'1, 240 lbs, and I am concerned that I will be uncomfortable int his type of tree stand at my current size and weight?. Can anyone please give me some confidence that I will like this new way of hunting... even with a bad back.,.. is it worth it?

Thanks and look forward to hearing what everyone has to say!

God Bless!

I posted on here some were were I do that. I use my tree lounger bottom to climb. To me, it's by far the best way. I've tried other stands but the simplicity of the lounger bottom just works best. Its light weight and no noise. Throw it over my shoulder and take off. All 3 pounds of it. Screenshot_20180708-084917_Gallery.jpg

... and I think I am sold on the SH technology and a new way to hunt whitetail. However, I am mid 40's, 6'1, 240 lbs, and I am concerned that I will be uncomfortable int his type of tree stand at my current size and weight?. Can anyone please give me some confidence that I will like this new way of hunting... even with a bad back.,.. is it worth it?
God Bless!
Greetings and welcome @David Hohne.
I am new to saddle hunting as well, but to answer your question, there are a number of old fat fellows with bad backs effectively Saddle hunting.

Good evening. I am a new member to SH. I hunt in West Kentucky and finding a tree to climb or hang a loc on next to a corn or bean field is impossible. However, I think using the saddle may be the ticket on getting and hunting in areas that have been impossible in the past. I listened to a podcast today and I think I am sold on the SH technology and a new way to hunt whitetail. However, I am mid 40's, 6'1, 240 lbs, and I am concerned that I will be uncomfortable int his type of tree stand at my current size and weight?. Can anyone please give me some confidence that I will like this new way of hunting... even with a bad back.,.. is it worth it?

God Bless!
I'll be 56 at the end of the month, 6' 250#. I can honestly say I'm every bit as comfortable in my Size 2 Kestrel as I was in my Summit Climber. My first saddle was the Aero Hunter Evo but I was never able to fully dial in the comfort with it so it can be somewhat dependent on the individual and saddle type. The Kestrel however has been outstanding for me. I also purchased a Tethrd Mantis and am looking forward to trying it out this year. The biggest benefit to me is minimizing the bulk I have to carry through the woods and the smaller profile in the tree.

Greetings and welcome @David Hohne.
I am new to saddle hunting as well, but to answer your question, there are a number of old fat fellows with bad backs effectively Saddle hunting.
And at least one chiropractor who owes me an adjustment. You better come to saddlepalooza feeling well this year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

God Bless!
Nothing that you stated should stop you from going forward. There's lots of guys on here to vouch for that. The best way to find out is to try it for yourself. Check out the saddle hunter user map and see if you can find someone in your area. If not, just take the plunge and don't look back!

I'll be 56 at the end of the month, 6' 250#. I can honestly say I'm every bit as comfortable in my Size 2 Kestrel as I was in my Summit Climber. My first saddle was the Aero Hunter Evo but I was never able to fully dial in the comfort with it so it can be somewhat dependent on the individual and saddle type. The Kestrel however has been outstanding for me. I also purchased a Tethrd Mantis and am looking forward to trying it out this year. The biggest benefit to me is minimizing the bulk I have to carry through the woods and the smaller profile in the tree.

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the information. I plan to buy the size 2 kestrel as well. Please let me know how the Tethrs Mantis works out.

Back