• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bracketing

Red Beard

SH Member
I hate a rangefinder. Think that's why I'm so drawn to the EZV. In using it, I started thinking about the bracketing system the sight is built on. Got into traditional archery and since putting a sight on a traditional bow is sacrilege, I needed to come up with another way of ranging deer quickly because my 605gr arrow drops pretty quickly once it gets out there. Thought I'd share what I came up with.

I've been using reflective tape mounted to the side of my riser right above the sight window for two months now. These two ticks show the difference between 20 and 30 yards on a 13 1/2" deer trunk. Simply hold the bow at arms length (needs to be there at the shot anyway) and place the bottom mark on the belly of the deer just behind the front leg. Then view where the back of the deer falls in the bracket. The large tick is 20 yards and the small is 30.
20210826_132720.jpg
*Think the application is universal and so that's why I posted this here and not in the trad only forum.

dang, how does one come up with this many good ideas? strong work this is a great idea. for the next version, get your hands on some broadside-view deer stickers, if you find one thats the right size, cut it off at the shoulder and put the back half on the bow. then you're somewhat literally playing "pin the tail on the deer" although its more "pin the butt half on the head half" but that doesn't flow as nicely

I hate a rangefinder. Think that's why I'm so drawn to the EZV. In using it, I started thinking about the bracketing system the sight is built on. Got into traditional archery and since putting a sight on a traditional bow is sacrilege, I needed to come up with another way of ranging deer quickly because my 605gr arrow drops pretty quickly once it gets out there. Thought I'd share what I came up with.

I've been using reflective tape mounted to the side of my riser right above the sight window for two months now. These two ticks show the difference between 20 and 30 yards on a 13 1/2" deer trunk. Simply hold the bow at arms length (needs to be there at the shot anyway) and place the bottom mark on the belly of the deer just behind the front leg. Then view where the back of the deer falls in the bracket. The large tick is 20 yards and the small is 30.
View attachment 51612
*Think the application is universal and so that's why I posted this here and not in the trad only forum.

Ummm….tape lengths are needed! Very cool idea too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you aiming? I shoot instinctive so yardage isn't really a concern. I keep all my shots 25 and under. If you know your point on then you can adjust accordingly from there also.

dang, how does one come up with this many good ideas? strong work this is a great idea. for the next version, get your hands on some broadside-view deer stickers, if you find one thats the right size, cut it off at the shoulder and put the back half on the bow. then you're somewhat literally playing "pin the tail on the deer" although its more "pin the butt half on the head half" but that doesn't flow as nicely
Wonderful idea!

Are you aiming? I shoot instinctive so yardage isn't really a concern. I keep all my shots 25 and under. If you know your point on then you can adjust accordingly from there also.
Out to 15yds I feel comfortable shooting instinctive. Beyond that though, yes, I'm aiming. I have a 20 yard point on and a 25 yards shot is holding right on the back of the deer. I chose 30 as a second reference so I know how far is too far.

Ummm….tape lengths are needed! Very cool idea too.
I can post the tape lengths but I'm thinking that they will only be good for me since they are based on my bow arm length. Folks may be better off finding the bracket size that works with their arm length. Thoughts?

Telling you buddy get the srf sight or you can tape a match head to riser. Same concept somewhat but with the bracket you can range and frame deer and helps your instinctive shot process

i'd never heard of the SRF sight before... looks to be halfway in between the EZv and the artillery sights these things are based off of. cool stuff.

I can post the tape lengths but I'm thinking that they will only be good for me since they are based on my bow arm length. Folks may be better off finding the bracket size that works with their arm length. Thoughts?

We’ll, did u do by trial and error or use math?

We’ll, did u do by trial and error or use math?
Trial. Not much error to it. Walk to 20yds and hold your bow at arms length. Then mark the riser where the deer's belly and back are. Walk back to 30 and repeat. The reflective tape just makes it a little easier on the eyes in low light.

We’ll, those instructions seem simple enough…the big question is how did you manage getting a deer in your yard to stand still that long!!!
giphy.gif

If you want a sight, just put a sight on it. Who gives a crap what anyone else thinks? Want to be in the cool club or the full freezer club?
Don't necessarily want a sight... just something that will aid in range estimation without carrying a rangefinder.

Back