• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bridge

Peterk1234

Hopefully you guys are not getting sick of me posting a million times over the past few days. I am starting to assemble things, so ideas and questions are constantly popping into my head.

So I want to talk bridges. I have a sitdrag now so I started to hang in my yard. My neighbors must be like, "oh god, here he goes again; *** is he doing now?" Anyway, I started off with a short bridge, about 22 inches. I felt a lot of hip pinch. So I grabbed another rope and went to 36 inches. Very comfortable. Shortened to 33 inches, still good. I am six feet tall and not a lot of meat on the bones. I have to admit though, I am shocked at how secure I was in the sitdrag and I had no issues putting my self in any position. I am shocked. Ok, back to the bridge, what are you guys finding as the perfect setup for comfort? It seemed that lowering the tether to about my chin helped as well. Still trying to figure out how much to lean. There is a sweet spot, and it seems to be where there is enough tether so I can swing into the tree and have my thighs horizontal. This seems to give me the option to actually sit in the SD ( I can actually dangle my legs in this position and be comfortable) and also lean comfortably. I hung for an hour.

Tips.... advice?

Thanks Pete

Continuing to play around with it is the best way to figure out what you like, I have a 24" bridge on my sitdrag I do get some hip pinch on long sits but it's tolerable I'm 6'4" I usually tether at forehead height and go back and forth between leaning and sitting by adjusting my ropeman on my tether. Some times I do place my tether lower when I'm leaning more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're in the right area. Keep making small adjustments until you are really happy. Many of us are between a 24-30" bridge. I like to go as short as I can without causing hip pinch because it gives me more tether available to work around the tree.

I have mine around 24" but I use a ropeman 1 on my bridge so I can adjust it. I know a lot of guys like a fixed bridge but I like mine adjustable. Thats the great thing about saddlehunting there's a lot of different ways to do things. What ever works for you is the way to go.

Anyone know a good source for finding a bridge that is spliced on one end already? Or is there a place I can send my Kestrel bridge to have it spliced? Would like to get one end spliced then have ropeman on other end.

I am using youtube vids. My fids are made of knitting needles or I use a wire to pull/bury the rope. It is quite easy and boy, do they seem very strong.

Anyone know a good source for finding a bridge that is spliced on one end already? Or is there a place I can send my Kestrel bridge to have it spliced? Would like to get one end spliced then have ropeman on other end.
Treestuff.com will sell you rope with splices.

It really depends on how far your saddle loops come out. I prefer a 20" bridge on the kestrel. I never liked two ropes extending so far up into my shooting zone - I would much rather have a short hook up and a single rope in the shooting window.

It really depends on how far your saddle loops come out. I prefer a 20" bridge on the kestrel. I never liked two ropes extending so far up into my shooting zone - I would much rather have a short hook up and a single rope in the shooting window.

Very good point. All new to me, just got my Kestrel 2 weeks ago. Still figuring it all out. Did notice this problem the first time i hooked up. That long bridge got in the way a lot. Shorter bridge and just one rope from tether would be easier, will just see how it feels.

But Dave, your world is different now with short ATA. You have new found options with bridge as well as shooting form.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just use a figure 8. It works great but that just me.

I just use a figure 8. It works great but that just me.
This is an option as well. Just untie one end of the bridge that comes with the kestel, then use the ropeman/carib on the one end. The put stopper knot on end of rope. Anyone have opinions on this option?

This is an option as well. Just untie one end of the bridge that comes with the kestel, then use the ropeman/carib on the one end. The put stopper knot on end of rope. Anyone have opinions on this option?
Thats what I do. Figure 8 on one side and carabiner and ropeman 1 on the other that way I have an adjustable bridge.

Thats what I do. Figure 8 on one side and carabiner and ropeman 1 on the other that way I have an adjustable bridge.

Like it! This is what im going to do. If I ever find a place local that will splice, will take it in then.

But Dave, your world is different now with short ATA. You have new found options with bridge as well as shooting form.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh I will never give up my beloved sticks.

Back