• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Broadhead choice

Robbo

What do recommend? I have always shot and done well with fixed blades but sometimes i think I want to try a expandable. I shoot a 27.5 inch draw at 70 pounds, with a 410 grain arrow at 282 FPS. Is my set up good enough for expandables and if so which one? So many to choose from.

What do recommend? I have always shot and done well with fixed blades but sometimes i think I want to try a expandable. I shoot a 27.5 inch draw at 70 pounds, with a 410 grain arrow at 282 FPS. Is my set up good enough for expandables and if so which one? So many to choose from.
My old man and I have killed a pile of deer with the old NAP Spitfires. No o-rings or shock collars to fool with. Those and the Slingblade are solid choices.

I wouldn’t put to much thought into it. There’s a ton of quality mechanical heads to choice from and from my experience, they all fly very well. Just aim a little back. No sense in tucking them in tight to the shoulder when you’re shooting a head designed to be more forgiving to the shooter. I would suggest either a rage 2 blade or NAP blood runner. But like I said, they all fly good.

Ive always had good luck with 3 blade rage. This year I'm switching to magnus black hornets in fixed blade.

That is more than enough energy to shoot an expandable. I have been using them for 15+ years due to the larger diameter cutting surface. I also have seen a much better blood trail since I switched.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the hype of brands. I think they all are fairly comparable.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Your set up is fine for expandables.Plenty of KE there.That being said avoid the shoulder.Blades are prone to breaking or coming off completely in heavy bone.Pleny of good mechanicals out there and one about two ribs back of the front shoulder is tuff to eat.Good Luck

There is no wrong answer. I have been bow hunting for over 30 years and tried about everything 1x. I love the Ramcat heads since they fly like a mechanical and cut like a fixed and I have never lost a deer or had one go further than 40 yds after a hit. Used them on xbow and compounds with same results. Slick Tricks are a VERY CLOSE second. All makes will work these days, just make sure they will tune with your setup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I heard something interesting lately, I believe from The Hunting Public guys. The idea is to choose based on your shot tendencies. If you tend to hit deer farther back, a big expandable is best. If you tend to hit deer in the shoulder, then a fixed blade or small, better penetrating broadhead is best.If you tend to make perfect shots, shoot whatever you want.

I shoot NAP Killzones and love them. They fly super well and leave a good blood trail.

I've shot spitfires for 15 years. I've yet to lose a deer because of lack of penetration (the few I've lost would've been lost with any head). Having said that, I just don't think the law of averages is on my side. I have had blades break off. I spent a lot of time shooting this year, and took the time to tune my bow. Nock tuning, broadhead tuning, all of that got me all dialed in with fixed blades. The main reason for shooting mechs has gone away for me. The first two deer I shot were with a muzzy three blade, and both had plenty good blood trails. Obviously if I had blade retention and double lunged them with the spitfire's, I had great blood trails most times. There were a handful with a high entry/exit that didn't go great.

I have two arrow setups I'll be shooting this year - 200grain IW's with 50 grain insert, and 125 grain exodus with 100 grain insert. If I get a chance to run out west for a little bigger game, I can swap the IW's to the arrow with the 100 grain insert to get arrow weight up. The 100 grain inserts give me broadhead flexibility and maintain the FOC.

High FOC arrows are flying like darts.

To answer your question, yes you've got enough juice to get an expandable through whitetails in many situations. But the situation is always dynamic, and there are a lot of variables that will leave you disappointed. Many many advantages to them depending on your style of hunting, distance you shoot, amount you practice, amount of time spent tinkering with your gear, etc.

For me, I am just getting more averse to risk of things going wrong as I get older. My tracking skills have improved, and we have dogs a phone call away to track a dead deer, so what appears on average to be less obvious blood trails aren't as big of a deal to me.

I shoot nap spitfires on the end of micro diameter beemans right now and have bee shooting the same setup for probably 10 years. Deer usually fall in sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its like a rifle. If you hit them in the right spot it doesnt matter if you are using a field point or a .22. Whatever shoots good in your bow and you have confidence in use.

I heard something interesting lately, I believe from The Hunting Public guys. The idea is to choose based on your shot tendencies. If you tend to hit deer farther back, a big expandable is best. If you tend to hit deer in the shoulder, then a fixed blade or small, better penetrating broadhead is best.If you tend to make perfect shots, shoot whatever you want.

I shoot NAP Killzones and love them. They fly super well and leave a good blood trail.
I’ve never heard this before but to me it makes a lot of sense. When I shoot expandables, I always aim farther back knowing that they’re not gonna hit bone and have clean pass throughs. With fixed blades I tuck them in tight.

Sorry little late to the party. I shoot 27 inch at 62lbs. I have successfully shot rage, spitfire and now G5 dead meat heads. All work fine. All getting pass through with normal range tree shots. I am back to fixed blade this year with slick tricks. Out to 40 yards hitting almost identical to field tips. Why fixed blade over mechanicals? Wish I could tell you but my gut has me going back that way. Seems every 2-3 years I flip flop between mechanical vs fixed. I have had great success with both. Like others have said there really aren't many bad choices. I would however lean toward a mechanical that you can get a practice head with. Good luck.

I've switched broadheads almost every year for as long as I can remember.... until this year. Started shooting QAD Exodus last year, and I plan to continue for the foreseeable future. My two oldest kids hunt with crossbows and I've seen some questionable shot placement. After using the Exodus, we've recovered every deer that we've shot. I'm a believer. Fly great, no moving parts, and I resharpen the blades and shoot them again.

I run Montech G5 fixed blades. Inexpensive, rugged, easy to sharpen, fly true to field tip...
I’ve had no complaints for several years.

I’ve shot everything from Rage and NAP blood runners (don’t think they make them anymore I liked them though). I switched back a couple years ago to ram cats (really liked them and they fly identical to my field points even though they are fixed blade) but I jut like trying new things out so this year I’m shooting the exodus by QAD they fly really nice too.

The other expandable I like was gravedigger broadheads because they are a hybrid fixed with expandable

Back