• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Broadhead tuning Observation

Duramaxlbz

I’m in the process of broadhead tuning with 2 new heads I’m trying Iron will S125 and the black mag SER 125. I’m shooting a brand new bow and arrows so I have spent the last few months dialing that in and I have FP flying perfect. I’m shooting the Vertix 75lbs 28.5 draw and 85% with VAP RIP TKO 300 spine with the fire nock system. I started shooting 1 BH and 1 FP at 20yards. The FP hitting dead center and both brand broad heads hitting about 6-8 inches left. So I moved the rest about a 1/16 to the left to see if that help. And i know so people say follow the arrow and other say opposite. Shot my next round of arrows the iron will BH where hitting closer to center and grouping decent with the FP’s. The black mangus BH where hitting even farther left like 12in left now. Anyone else experience this? I only shot at 20yards bc I ran out of time to shoot. Hoping to get some more shooting in today. Is there anything else I could do to improve my BH flight??

Did you paper tune, bareshaft tune, French tune, insert tune, or nock tune arrows before trying the rest chasing?

Last edited:
Did you paper tune, French tune, insert tune, or nock tune arrows before trying the rest chasing?
Yes I squared the arrows, they where spinning perfect on the arrow spinner, and paper tuned perfect. I have not nock tuned

Yes I squared the arrows, they where spinning perfect on the arrow spinner, and paper tuned perfect. I have not nock tuned

Try keeping everything the same(putting rest back to where you had it to begin with), and rotating nocks about 30-45 degrees at a time. Go all the way around and see if anything changes with the broadhead arrows.

Try keeping everything the same(putting rest back to where you had it to begin with), and rotating nocks about 30-45 degrees at a time. Go all the way around and see if anything changes with the broadhead arrows.
With the Victory arrows already being spine aligned will nock tuning change anything

With the Victory arrows already being spine aligned will nock tuning change anything

I shoot the RIP TKO Elites. It changed things with just field tips in my original nock tuning. Once I got to broadheads ( I shoot exodus), they grouped well.

There is no pain in doing it, you can always go back to original.

Looking at my pile of arrows 4 of em lined up "spine aligned" and 2 are off from that.

Also, I don't know if this will fix the problem, but it's a good first step. It may end up requiring you to refletch arrows depending on your rest/setup.

But at 20 yards, you should have no issue getting them all to hit in the same place with proper tuning.

If your bow was paper tuned, your field points were dead on at 20 yards, and your broadheads are grouping well but too far to the left, why would you move your arrow rest instead of your site?

Also, how long are your arrows, and how much do the firenock inserts you're using weigh?

Also, how long are your arrows, and how much do the firenock inserts you're using weigh?[/

55gain insert with 125 grain head and total arrow weight of 490 grains. I guess I will put the rest back to original position and try knock tuning. It’s worth a shot but all the iron will heads where grouping to the left every time and field points dead center.

If your bow was paper tuned, your field points were dead on at 20 yards, and your broadheads are grouping well but too far to the left, why would you move your arrow rest instead of your site?
If you don't get field points and broadheads hitting together your bow is not in tune. If he were to just move the sight then step back to 40 his broadheads would be shooting left again. Basically moving the sight is just putting a band aid on it.

If you don't get field points and broadheads hitting together your bow is not in tune. If he were to just move the sight then step back to 40 his broadheads would be shooting left again. Basically moving the sight is just putting a band aid on it.
I just paper tuned again and was getting bullet holes. What else could I do to check the tune of the bow or adjust the bow tune??

I just paper tuned again and was getting bullet holes. What else could I do to check the tune of the bow or adjust the bow tune??

I shoot bare shaft and fletched at 10 yards and make sure they are hitting close together or touching is ideal/ prefect. You also want to make sure your bare shaft is not tail left or right. If your bare shaft is left an inch but perfect entry (not nock left) you should be good to go but you could do a small rest tweak to get it perfect. If you are tail left then you have a few options depending on your bow. For me I adjust my yokes twist hear and untwist there to get perfect bare shaft flight. Once 10 yards is good I back up to 20. There is a tone of information out there on bare shaft tuning. I would do a google search and read up on it to see if you want that rabbit hole.

It could also be a form problem also. The fact that you have bullet hole is interesting. I like bare shaft tuning because then you are talking perfect flight of the arrow because nothing is steering it.

I shoot bare shaft and fletched at 10 yards and make sure they are hitting close together or touching is ideal/ prefect. You also want to make sure your bare shaft is not tail left or right. If your bare shaft is left an inch but perfect entry (not nock left) you should be good to go but you could do a small rest tweak to get it perfect. If you are tail left then you have a few options depending on your bow. For me I adjust my yokes twist hear and untwist there to get perfect bare shaft flight. Once 10 yards is good I back up to 20. There is a tone of information out there on bare shaft tuning. I would do a google search and read up on it to see if you want that rabbit hole.

It could also be a form problem also. The fact that you have bullet hole is interesting. I like bare shaft tuning because then you are talking perfect flight of the arrow because nothing is steering it.
Yea I didn’t bare shaft tune these arrows, and I can’t twist the yokes on a vertix they have top hats that can be changed. I could try bare shafting but what I don’t get it’s the arrows group the exact same 4-6 in left every time. Consistent

Agree with the above mentioned bareshaft tuning. Bareshaft shooting arrows exaggerates all imperfections in center shot, nock height and form. Consistent form is my demon!

I did a bare shaft tune last year and then nock tuned. Some arrows just didnt perform with broadheads. So i marked them as practice arrows. Only had 2 or 3 not perform.

I’m a fan of bare shaft tuning thru paper from close range and then shooting bare shafts and fletched at increasing distances. Really shows whether the arrows are coming out of your bow straight.....

Back