• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buck Limit In Your State

KYHunter

I thought about this while reading the thread on hunting pressure in the state/area where you hunt but didn’t want to derail it too much.

So how many bucks are y’all allowed to kill in a season where you hunt? And do you feel like this number positively or negatively impacts buck quality?

Here in KY we get only 1 buck(except for a couple of bonus draw units) per season and I feel that this helps the overall quality of bucks.

Alabama/ 3 bucks a season, one of the 3 has to have I believe 4pts on one side at least 1in. Also we get a bonus buck day. I believe if everyone would get on board and be honest and game check all there bucks/does it would help but I think it's going to take time with this new system we have now.

Only 2 in Tennessee. We are overrun with does. I think it definitely improves the quality of our bucks.

In Georgia you can kill two plus. One of the two has to have 4 points 1” or longer on one side. I say plus because you can literally kill two deer every weekend of rifle season if you bounce around to wma hunts. No special draw required for most of them.

Here in Delaware we get 2 our license comes with 4 antlerless tags buck tags are an extra 10 or $20 we get a quality buck tag it can only be used on a buck thats 15+ inches wide and a hunters choice tag it can used on any deer. You can buy more doe tags later if needed. License sales start July 1st so I’ll be getting mine soon

In Florida it is now five dear. Only two of which can be does. But all five can be bucks and no does. All the years previous were two bucks a day. I personally would like to see more doe days for public land there aren't many here in Florida.

Pennsylvania = 1 buck a year
Luckily, I live close enough to hunt west virginia, with a 3 buck limit! Our buck to doe ratio is starting to get better in PA but it's going to be a long road for things to get really good around here, APR's have certainly helped!

NY here......Depends on if you gun hunt, bow hunt, muzzleloader hunt or do a comb of gun/bow. If just gun then One buck a year but if you buy the Bow/Muzzleloader privilege then 2. I would like to see some sort of antler restriction for the second buck but without checkpoints then there is no way of keeping people honest. Some areas here seem pretty good to me for the #'s of deer but some are way skewed where I hunt. One area I hunt is overrun with does and that's a area you cant kill one. They issue no doe tags, not allowed to shoot one with a muzzleloader either but talking to the DEC they said its legal for me to take a doe with archery/crossbow

In Florida it is now five dear. Only two of which can be does. But all five can be bucks and no does. All the years previous were two bucks a day. I personally would like to see more doe days for public land there aren't many here in Florida.
Antlers under 5'' in considered antlerless deer

Here in VT currently 2, 1 bow, 1 rifle, but going to 1 total in 2020...boo...

In Michigan's LP you're allowed two bucks a year regardless of method or season. One tag is good for any buck, another only good for a buck with at least 4 points on one side. The areas I hunt (the northwest 12 counties) have an additional MAPRs applied as the first buck must have at least three on a side. At this point in my hunting career I find the tags to be more valuable than the venison. I'm very likely to let even reasonable shooter bucks walk early in the season than risk shooting a small 8 and having Bullwinkle walk out a week later and force me to end my season. Letting early bucks walk has bit me a couple of times but the way I see it is I was able to get out and hunt all year. As I get older it gets to be less about the harvest and more about the opportunities although I still get a shot of adrenaline closing the deal on a nice buck. After all, ultimately that's what its all about.

Michigan = 2 bucks, most areas have a 4 pt APR for one of the bucks, some have APRs for both. All size restrictions are out the window in CWD zones.

At this point in my hunting career I find the tags to be more valuable than the venison. I'm very likely to let even reasonable shooter bucks walk early in the season than risk shooting a small 8 and having Bullwinkle walk out a week later and force me to end my season. Letting early bucks walk has bit me a couple of times but the way I see it is I was able to get out and hunt all year.
I'm definitely getting more picky too, but I've got permission on a giant farm for early doe season this year... so the meat wont be an issue if I don't fill both tags.

Arkansas' limit is 2 bucks total no matter the methos, both have to have 3 points per side atleast 1 inch long. Youth hunter don't have antler point restrictions and both bucks can be anything. Some wma's and zones have 4 point rules, some have a 4x4 slot, which is a buck with 4 points total and less or 4 points on one side. Even a couple wma's have a 15 inch inside spread or 18 inch main beam rule.

Arkansas' limit is 2 bucks total no matter the methos, both have to have 3 points per side atleast 1 inch long. Youth hunter don't have antler point restrictions and both bucks can be anything. Some wma's and zones have 4 point rules, some have a 4x4 slot, which is a buck with 4 points total and less or 4 points on one side. Even a couple wma's have a 15 inch inside spread or 18 inch main beam rule.
AR guy here too. I've often wondered if they would take baiting away if it would help. I've killed deer over bait but it wouldn't bother me if it went away. I wish they would shorten the gun season, and end the season at the end of January rather than going all the way to the end of February. Not a lot of hunting pressure at that time but I think it could help.

AR guy here too. I've often wondered if they would take baiting away if it would help. I've killed deer over bait but it wouldn't bother me if it went away. I wish they would shorten the gun season, and end the season at the end of January rather than going all the way to the end of February. Not a lot of hunting pressure at that time but I think it could help.
I too have killed deer over bait but it's very few and wouldn't bother me any of it went away. It definitely helps most people kill deer. I like the bow season ending in February and generally will go several times then, usually a great time on hot food sources but I'm usually only doe hunting then and don't have a buck tag available so it wouldn't bother me much if they did away with it, I'd just have to shoot my doe's early in the year and not buck hunt lol. I don't think they will, several years ago they closed the season around February 14th and a lot of people complained about the agfc taking 2 weeks from their season. The next year it was back to the end of February.

3 buck limit here. No restriction on size. It absolutely hurts the quality of bucks. In the southern part of our state it is bow only and one buck per year in four counties and the quality/quantity of bucks is night and day different! I can hop over the river into Ohio and see an immediate difference with their one buck limit.

I too have killed deer over bait but it's very few and wouldn't bother me any of it went away. It definitely helps most people kill deer. I like the bow season ending in February and generally will go several times then, usually a great time on hot food sources but I'm usually only doe hunting then and don't have a buck tag available so it wouldn't bother me much if they did away with it, I'd just have to shoot my doe's early in the year and not buck hunt lol. I don't think they will, several years ago they closed the season around February 14th and a lot of people complained about the agfc taking 2 weeks from their season. The next year it was back to the end of February.

I'm an Arkansas guy too ...About twenty years ago I gutted a doe in mid feb with two fairly well developed fawns. It ruined me. I normally stop hunting mid Jan and turn to scouting so I'd be okay ending Jan 31.

Back