• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buckless Stick Attachment

GeoFish

SH Member
I picked up some 3/4" straps from LWCG. I will be using them on the LWCG single step sticks.
I see 2 different vids on the tube on how to do the wrap. They are a little different. Anyone know if one is better then the other?
I think the first one from Whitetail Experience may be better.

Back when I was using multiple sticks I used @Nutterbuster buckle free method. It is solid as can be. Slight learning curve as there is less slack to take out when setting the stick so I had to set the stick a smidge lower than usual.

Huh, first time I've seen this. Is it strong enough for a platform? Does it work with rope or amsteel?

Huh, first time I've seen this. Is it strong enough for a platform? Does it work with rope or amsteel?

Yes, it has been around for quite some time. Works well with rope and cord for stick and or platform but I have no experience with Amsteel.

I picked up some 3/4" straps from LWCG. I will be using them on the LWCG single step sticks.
I see 2 different vids on the tube on how to do the wrap. They are a little different. Anyone know if one is better then the other?
I think the first one from Whitetail Experience may be better.

I’ve always used the method similar to the first video with the exception that I wrap from the top not the bottom similar to what is shown in the DIYsportsman ropemod video i linked above.

I also complete mine with a half hitch with a bite so you can pull the tag in and it’ll come free.

I've used both also. Only problem i ever ran into is you lose a few inches of strap when you remove the buckle. Other than that it's quick and easy.

I've been using the versa straps from Tethrd. They are a little narrower than the LW and the material is quite pliable so really locks in. Have used them on LW sticks and on Hawk Helium sticks. Yes they have those loops but I just ignore them. No need for buckles anymore. Quiet, light, pack better, and rock solid attachments. (Search for my Hawk helium buckle failure thread! Of course my LW buckles have always been perfect)

FYI; I used the second video method yesterday. Climbed up on first stick, hung second stick. Climbed up one foot on each stick. First stick strap came loose. I have the new style LWCG single step sticks. The versa button post is not round. Not sure that is the issue.
Be carefull.

FYI; I used the second video method yesterday. Climbed up on first stick, hung second stick. Climbed up one foot on each stick. First stick strap came loose. I have the new style LWCG single step sticks. The versa button post is not round. Not sure that is the issue.
Be carefull.
Hmmm, I guessing (and it's just a guess) that the issue may have been the LW webbing. It's good quality but slick and thick (that sounded bad). The versa straps are thinner and pinch down on themselves. Here's what I do with the versa straps. Put the second loop from the end around the versa button (the first is not designed to be weight bearing according to Tetherd). Pass tag end of the strap around the tree. Do one circular pass of the tag end around the versa button, come up from under the strap (between the strap and tree), pull over, down and tight , go under the versa button, come up on the other side of the button, under the strap (between strap and tree), pull over, down, and tight. Then put a half hitch on the versa button to finish. Give a firm downward push on the stick to set it, step up and do a small bounce, and proceed.
Hope that makes sense. I wish I had a video but I don't. I have never had my steps budge. In fact the straps get so tight, sometimes I have to wrestle them loose because they bite down on themselves so tightly. Anyway, hope that helps.

Buckless stick attachment sounds like a recipe for tag soup.

In the second video he cam under button over strap and then behind and back down. I don't think that gives a good pinch.
In the first video he came under button, behind strap and up.
I think I will just go back to my daisies.

I did the buckleless method for a couple of years until beast gear came out with their straps with the small buckles. They are so much lighter than other buckle straps I’ve used. I’m quicker with cinching down a buckle then tying on with buckleless method and feels safer to me.
They’re $8 on their website. No brained for me.

I did the buckleless method for a couple of years until beast gear came out with their straps with the small buckles. They are so much lighter than other buckle straps I’ve used. I’m quicker with cinching down a buckle then tying on with buckleless method and feels safer to me.
They’re $8 on their website. No brained for me.
Thanks I did not know about the Beast straps.

Back