• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bullman Outdoors Ring of Steps

CRogers

Was pretty excited once I got home yesterday and saw that my 6 silent approach steps had already made it to my mailbox. I received several emails from them updating me on the order and was very happy with the short shipping time. Overall the customer service I thought was great, the steps are lightweight and compact and can easily be stored in any pack or dump pouch. My only complaint was the factory strap that is sent with the steps is way to short in my opinion. The tree I tried them on was just a little less than 5' in diameter and the strap was way too short. Kind of a bummer seeing as how between the steps, strap, and shipping cost I was already out a little over 70 dollars. So with that being said, if you're considering ordering this I would recommend ordering a longer strap. That's my only complaint so far.

5ft in diameter?? Where are you hunting that's tree is that big at hunting height? Climb a lot of sequoias?

A 2ft diameter tree is about as big as I will climb, and I really don't like to setup in one bigger than a basketball. I think you're well outside the bell curve in this area, and will most likely need to buy custom everything-that-goes-around-the-tree. Linemans, tether, platform strap, etc.

Unless it's a typo. Are you talking circumference maybe? That's still a pretty big tree. I'd guess the strap on my ring of steps is maybe 6ft, and is longer than I've ever needed it to be. You'd need a 15+ foot strap to hunt a 5ft diameter tree, and probably a 20ft linemans and tether.

5ft in diameter?? Where are you hunting that's tree is that big at hunting height? Climb a lot of sequoias?

A 2ft diameter tree is about as big as I will climb, and I really don't like to setup in one bigger than a basketball. I think you're well outside the bell curve in this area, and will most likely need to buy custom everything-that-goes-around-the-tree. Linemans, tether, platform strap, etc.

Unless it's a typo. Are you talking circumference maybe? That's still a pretty big tree. I'd guess the strap on my ring of steps is maybe 6ft, and is longer than I've ever needed it to be. You'd need a 15+ foot strap to hunt a 5ft diameter tree, and probably a 20ft linemans and tether.
Lol I meant circumerence. Never have been the sharpest knife in the drawer :cool:

ROS is what I use when I use climbing sticks works great,sometimes I use a lone wolf hand climber to get up the tree and hook a ratchet strap to the climber around the tree at hunting height very solid.platform and climbing method all in one saves you a lot of weight!

I love my Silent Approach ROS they are very solid! As long as they are cinched down tight i have had zero issues with them!

I love my Silent Approach ROS they are very solid! As long as they are cinched down tight i have had zero issues with them!
Glad to hear that! I look forward to using them, I think they're going to work out well. Just wanted to get a longer strap. I don't want to find a tree that I need to be in and that limit me on where I can set up. Dealt with that too many times whenever I hunted out of a climber.

Been bowhunting over 40 yrs, have tried every method there is for climbing trees using tree saddle and hang on stands, this is by far the lightest, quietest system I have ever used on public land, the secret is to really get your foot tight against tree on step , don't stand on step like you would a screw in. 8 steps with squirrel platform gets me up close to 20 ft, plus the double springs really bite into strap for a super non slip hold.

@Buckhunter I'm looking at the steps as an option also. May hold off until next year just because I already have a shorter set of sticks I plan on using, and I have some other gear I need to get first. Do you space yours out pretty far? I was wondering about how high you can get with 10 steps.

I’ve tried every climbing method legal on public, u can’t beat the steps, 5lbs in decent enough bags, I like them ALLOT use them like he says, step on top of them and tight to the tree.

I’ve climbed 20 plus trees using them just practicing with them and my saddle, I got the 12 pack, 12 got me as high a 4 lw full lenght sticks.

I averaged about 12-15 until my bow was hanging on the hook, that’s hanging predator platform, organizing ropes and adjusting tether. In intentionally climbed some jacked up trees to test them.

Coming back down you gain back what ever time u think u gain with sticks, because ur not stacking sticks and straps, just put the step in the bag on the way down stuff tag ends in and ur gone. I did remove the inserts that came with current bag and had better zippers sewn in.

The fastest I hung 12 steps was 7 min.

Thanks @keb I'm definitely looking at them. I have some cut down hawk helium's as of right now. I might sell them to fund a set of steps. How long did it take you to get efficient with them?

Phone is acting up and not letting me copy the link. They have a YouTube channel with several videos.

I just climbed up tree in saddle with 8 bullman steps, and hung squirrel platform, was up 18 ft, did it under 5 min, plus its 90 degrees out, took my time and never broke a sweat., a trick of mine is to strap all 8 steps at ground level and slide them up tree as you climb with linemans belt around tree, works great.

I just climbed up tree in saddle with 8 bullman steps, and hung squirrel platform, was up 18 ft, did it under 5 min, plus its 90 degrees out, took my time and never broke a sweat., a trick of mine is to strap all 8 steps at ground level and slide them up tree as you climb with linemans belt around tree, works great.
I will have to give that a tree once I get them in. I just sold a set of helium's so I'll be ordering soon.

I tried them out again this afternoon. I had a little more time today and really tried to put as much force as I could on them. They're rock solid! I went ahead and ordered a set of steps to use as my climbing method also. Their customer service is top notch and they shipped quick. 10/10 as far as the platform goes.

Crogers

Took 3-4 reps to fine tune, and I get faster and find tricks every time I use them

Back